Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Ingot54

Pathos ... for Other Times.

A melancholic like me was always going to become a nurse ... or a doctor ... or a missionary.

I recognised the "mother's little helper" in myself before I was 8 years old, and have more or less

been getting into trouble attempting to (and actually) help(ing) others since memory began.

No regrets ... but this thread is for people like me and our critics too.

Post away with your best examples of pathos ... poetry ... Youtubes ... stories.

In fact - if you have nothing like this to post ... feel free to explain why people who do are out of touch

... or ... even fully in touch ... with the true meaning of life.

http://www.flickspire.com/m/BLM/MakeADifference

How about Mother Teresa?

One side of the coin suggests she was a saint, dedicating her whole life to caring for the poor in India.

Another view however is that she in fact did a great more harm than good. Her religious stance meant that she would discourage the use of condoms in the communities in which she worked. This drove the population up - i.e. more people living in poverty, with even less resources to go round, not to mention the dramatic increase in STD's within the communities.

This isnt a bash at the Catholic religion. I do wonder however that if Jesus was around today, whether he would agree with matters surrounding birth control. He did after all heal on the Sabbath which was thought to be against The Law at the time.

Which position shows more love and humanity?

How about Mother Teresa?

One side of the coin suggests she was a saint, dedicating her whole life to

caring for the poor in India.

Another view however is that she in fact did a great more harm than good.

Her religious stance meant that she would discourage the use of condoms

in the communities in which she worked. This drove the population up ...

I do wonder however that if Jesus was around today, whether he would agree

with matters surrounding birth control. He did after all heal on the Sabbath

which was thought to be against The Law at the time.

Which position shows more love and humanity?

Can't answer that because so many things today need to be changed before other

things can be seen in a useful context.

For example, we have always had the needy and the greedy.

What Jesus might agree with, I cannot say. You would need to go ask Him that.

But I do know that within the heart of man, there is an inherent sense of right and

wrong.

Positions that "show more love and humanity" can be financially costly, which might go

a long way towards explaining why some choose to turn a blind eye to spending one's

resources in trying to alleviate said poverty.

Many of us will take to our graves a life filled with striving for financial security - I will.

But I also hope to have it on record in a small way somewhere, that I was able to make

a difference somewhere, and that the world was not my plaything, but an opportunity to

leave something in better shape than I found it.

You won't find the "right" answers through asking people the question.

You will only find answers through searching ... maybe meditation ... but we digress.

MT.jpg.401e98dfb8c5ac4cb22ebcff4298c4e2.jpg

In the meantime ... I'd like to share something else with you.

I think I posted it elsewhere earlier.

But I think we can get some kind of a "tough love" message from this:

This was the best 10 minutes I have spent today.

Don't turn it off when the credits flow at the end ... there is more priceless footage as the credits flow!

EDIT: There is more to be found here at the original site I found the link:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/moments-that-restored-our-faith-in-humanity-this-y

Edited by Ingot54
Addition of link to original source

thanks Ingot - I always enjoy little light hearted but pleasant distractions.

for me a lot of this boils down to a few things.....

imagination is a great thing - positive based on making the most of what is, rather than fear based (eg; 280 pd gorillas)

community is extremely important - not bunches of individuals protecting themselves, locking themselves away and no - this does not mean government, and yes - community is far more than a formulaic application of a modern nuclear family.

persistence and willing to give things a go - accepting the consequences as your fears probably are worse than the reality.

over 'Christmas' - sorry ....'happy holiday season'.....we saw a great inspiring show on the bbc about military wives choir - about how one little idea, one man (Gareth Malone) and a bunch of people willing to give something a go achieved lofty ambitions.....

Military Wives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(I dont know if you can get it in Australia - on the BBC there was a documentary - i think you might enjoy it - even if the evil powerful people are only letting us have glimpses of hope through these things. ;))

This thread is an outlier ... but it is also a steadier in a world of uncertainty, pressure and breaking traditions.

Some things never change, and one of those is the love and compassion built-in to the human heart.

And where does the nurturing begin, for those qualities to flourish?

Here's 3 minutes of reflection on that:

How many have watched Kevin Costner in "Field of Dreams"?

This clip is not only pivotal to the movie ... I believe it has a message pivotal to

each of us in the struggles to be overcome in our march through life.

2 choices ... 2 outcomes ... one human spirit.

Bono at TED 2013:

Eradicating extreme poverty doesn’t have to be a dream

Yep ... keep the dream alive. There are some people living the reality of poverty.

Only a brother can help...

Bono at TED 2013 | ONE

Gotta love real thinkers like Bono ... bless 'im.

"The power of the people is so much stronger than the people in power."

Edited by Ingot54

Bono at TED 2013:

Eradicating extreme poverty doesn’t have to be a dream

I recently viewed the TED presentation that Bono gave. It reminded my me of a documentary that I saw months ago. It's an hour of your time, but the documentary lends some perspective (also a rather sobering view).

David Attenborough : How Many People Can Live on Planet Earth?

How Many People Can Live on Planet Earth (FULL) - YouTube

Thanks Siuya - simple and resonant.

Unfortunately, at the other end of the spectrum there are stories that

need to be told that are not pleasant, but reside in the "Pathos" genre.

Truthdig - The Last Letter

... from a Dying Veteran ... I hope you are able to spend 7 minutes to

honour this man with your reading time ...

I recently viewed the TED presentation that Bono gave. It reminded my me of a documentary that I saw months ago. It's an hour of your time, but the documentary lends some perspective (also a rather sobering view).

David Attenborough : How Many People Can Live on Planet Earth?

How Many People Can Live on Planet Earth (FULL) - YouTube

Just finished watching, Jpennybags.

Attenborough spins a compelling yarn ... but I suspect it is more than just a doco ... it is an imperative we have to address.

Thanks for that contribution - I am richer for having been exposed to that educational glimpse of what may be possible ... what may be to come.