Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

syswizard

Multicharts .NET

Has anyone tried this new version of multicharts ?

I'm thinking about it, but as an EL programmer, now I must learn the entire .NET platform and C# !!

Is it worth the time and effort I wonder ?

I have tried it. The user interface is 99% identical to the EL version.

Unless you have a need to do something that EL cannot do, there is no point in switching. Besides, if you don't already know C#, it makes no sense in switching, because it will take time to learn a new language, and it will be years before you are proficient enough to code something that would kick assk.

.. it will be years before you are proficient enough to code something that would kick ass.

Interesting. Another programmer said I should be able to pick it up fairly easily given the fact that I do this for a living right now.

I am also thinking about the possibility of selling some indicators or systems or specialized trading tools. MC knocked the licensing fee down to $1000, so I could just add that to the cost of my offerings as a bundled package. Finally, I might be even able to get some contract work to convert existing power language/easy language over to C# dot-net.

Interesting. Another programmer said I should be able to pick it up fairly easily given the fact that I do this for a living right now.

I am also thinking about the possibility of selling some indicators or systems or specialized trading tools. MC knocked the licensing fee down to $1000, so I could just add that to the cost of my offerings as a bundled package. Finally, I might be even able to get some contract work to convert existing power language/easy language over to C# dot-net.

you forgooten what you have written in the 1st post...

now I must learn the entire .NET platform and C# !!

Is it worth the time and effort I wonder ?

and you have selective reading of my post...

if you don't already know C#, it makes no sense in switching, because it will take time to learn a new language,

Finally, my simple advice: if you have to ask, you are not ready for it.

Unless you have a need to do something that EL cannot do, there is no point in switching.

I guess C# etc are more acceptable if the OP was ever to look for professional programming work within the hedge fund industry?

Perhaps it would also be interesting to have a thread detailing things that actually cannot be implemented in EasyLanguage.

BlueHorseshoe

I guess C# etc are more acceptable if the OP was ever to look for professional programming work within the hedge fund industry?

Perhaps it would also be interesting to have a thread detailing things that actually cannot be implemented in EasyLanguage.

BlueHorseshoe

EL is a very limited language, even with the constant additions to the keywords, there are more thing it cannot do than it can.

EL was specifically designed as a layman's language -- for the non-programmer traders to concoct their own quick and dirty analysis. EL had its roots in Pascal (a beginner's language), thank g-d it wasn't based on BASIC, at least you get some structure in the codes instead of spagetti.

EL was never designed as a serious programming language, in the sense that it was not designed to be used to program a large and all comprehensive autotrade strategy. The structure is simplistic, the analysis is bar-by-bar, and there are little provision for modular blocks (except for the functions) -- a prerequisite for large codes.

If you want to find faults (or handicaps, or limitations), you will find plenty in EL.

If you want to find an easier language for traders, I doubt you will find anything easier than EL.

Edited by Tams

No portfolio trading, no pair trading. Then it's useless for Forex because you can only convert on fixed rate. Stupid. Slow data import. Slower loading times. Slow backtest, optimization, ....

etc., these are just a few examples. The whole software is just overpriced uselessness.

Slow data import. Slower loading times. Slow backtest, optimization, ....

Amazing, the things the majority of their users say that it's their strengths when compared to Tradestation and even Ninja, you say it's their weakness.... go figure!

Amazing, the things the majority of their users say that it's their strengths when compared to Tradestation and even Ninja, you say it's their weakness.... go figure!

Ninjatrader, Tradestation?? Is this a turtles race? lol But of course in a universe of turtles MC might be one of that fastest ones. But I don't take part in turtles races. I'm talking about real champs not some students projects like Ninjatrader.

Besides slowness MC doesn't even provide portfolio trading. Also portfolio backtesting is useless since they don't have realistic currency conversion. And what about rotational trading, scoring, ranking,... non existent. As I said the software is quite forgettable at that price level.