Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TinGull

The power of the law of attraction

I just wanted to post this up today, because I've been working hard at trying to incorporate this into my life. The guys who talk to me on a regular basis know that I can sometimes get a little "down" sometimes with regards to my trading...but I really know I can make it happen.

So...yesterday, I tried something. In the movie "The Secret" there's a guy who says he uses the law of attraction to get a parking spot when the lot seems full. At my library they just rebuilt, they have a big parking garage that holds like 150 cars. The lot was full when I went down there yesterday with my girlfriend. I said first...man, we'll never find a spot! Then...I caught myself. I said...there'll be a spot that'll open up for me in no time.

So...as I turned the corner...a Subaru was pulling out of it's spot right next to the door! Amazing.

Today...I was short YM at 264 and we hovered around 251-259 for a couple minutes. Got tedious...and I thought, don't take out my stop! Then...I caught myself. I said...let's see 250. If we break this 251, we'll go lower! I stared at 250 on my screen, filled my head with 250...and we broke to it, and through it to 230 and I let my order go at 234 for a 30 point gain, my best point gain on a single trade ever.

I'm hooked. I just need to get to a point where I'm not needing to catch my thinking, but always just be thinking and feeling like that.

Amazing.

Well have you noticed how some people just always seem to be more "lucky" than others, and those others are the ones who usually sit there moping about how "lucky" that other guy is? Those other guys are always loosers. Negative energy attracts negative energy. The power of positive thinking is very real. Do you honestly believe some people are just naturally more lucky than others? Thats BS imho. I don't believe in luck. We create our own luck. Its about having the self confidence within yourself to look at any situation and make the best of it. Courage of conviction in other words.

yup, precisely. Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. Nothing magical about it. If you're prepared to see the opportunity, then you need to take it. Power of positive thinking is absolutely real.

It's real in that if you start your trading day thinking "Today I'm going to hit my profit target" then you're more likely to because you have control over your trading decisions and if you think you'll make the right decisions, you're more likely to. But it's just silly to think that once you have a trade open you can control what direction the market moves in with the power of your mind. We have no control over the market, only over our own decisions.

You're right notouch. I dont think I can move the market with my mind. What I won't let happen is: if a move goes against me I get pissed.

There's no point in letting something disturb ones day on the path to success.

I've spent much time looking into The Secret, What the Bleep, NLP, quantum physics, etc. The reason why you are where you are right now is because of the fruits of your actions in the past. I really do not believe that you can influence the external world directly through thought alone. It is absurd and no-one has proved it. I was very open to the idea for many years, however, recently I find myself becoming more sceptical through lack of proof, and my own experience does not bear it out.

Now, this is very different to being determined in something. Myself, I am determined to become consistently profitable in trading. I will not achieve this through thinking alone; however repetition of this thought process will produce ACTIONS that I take such as: in-depth market research, statistics gathering, reporting of my own trades, receiving coaching from a professional trader, managing risk, money management, understanding my own psychology, etc.

The car park example you gave is ridiculous. After watching The Secret myself, I believed it for a while and thought that I could influence a multi-story car park, the actions of the drivers of those cars with my own thoughts. How ridiculous is that? Now, what I have noticed about the behaviour of my own mind is that if I want to see an outcome I can project onto the world the outcome I want to see, and ignore or filter out the stuff I don't want to see or notice. So that ONE TIME that you manage to get a parking space, you say, "Wow, this is amazing." and at the same time you forget the 99 times that this visualisation technique did not work. This mostly occurs at the sub-conscious level, of course and is not often verbalised in the mind.

I do believe that the way you think produces who you are right now (you reap what you sow), so in some sense positive thinking, as it were, does work, but it only works on you, not the external world. The Secret even says this, you cannot create in someone else's reality, so the movie even contradicts itself with its own examples. One motto I do believe in strongly is

Luck favours the prepared mind.
So, in your trading, you will become successful through preparation and ACTION, not just by thinking; but the thinking can be a catalyst or a motivator for your actions.

Sorry to dampen your spirit Tin, and this is my own view, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Keymoo, interesting comments. If the "car park" exercise involves ‘magically’ manifesting a parking space by some manner of voodoo, there is a rational explanation for the improved probability of you finding a space. It’s all to do with your old brain and the reticular formation, that which arouses and motivates us. The thing is, the parking space is either going to be there or it’s not (no schroedingers cats here). But if you are ACTIVELY engaged in looking for one, guess what, you’re more likely to find it than if your just cranking up the volume on Snow Patrol or thinking about what you’re going to do once you’ve parked. It’s all about ACTIVE AWARENESS. You can do it with anything you choose.

Just pick a colour, any colour. Make it unusual. When you’re next out and about look for someone wearing that colour, or a car of that colour, anything of that colour. I can guarantee you WILL find it. It’s all always there, but you’re not normally ACTIVELY tuned into be aware of it. There is a great deal to discuss about Awareness.

The other point you make keymoo is about ACTION. I disagree slightly with you in that all the preparation and analysis and all those other good things you mention, although useful and even vital to your skills as a trader do not in and of themselves lead you to becoming a trader. You need to take ACTION independently of all those other things, you need to pull the trigger. It is just possible that all those other things you mention could end up robbing you of the power to actually take physical action if you believe you are doing so by doing those other things.

I keep an open mind on the power of thought and the ‘laws’ of attraction so don’t put me into one camp or the other.:eek:

MrBramble, you are talking about something quite different. Heightening your awareness is an action that has been taken - you have not directly affected the quantum field, or somehow magically manifested something in the universe. You are merely observing what is there through "tuning your mind in." as you put it.

I recently bought a new mini car. My kids love it as it has a soft top - now whenever they are out they always notice all the minis on the road, whilst before they did not notice any of them. They particularly notice the red soft-tops for some reason ;-). They have tuned into all the minis out there; however this is a different and separate issue to the one that TinGull is inferring.

TinGull is referring to manifestation of circumstances in the universe, not merely observing them. However I do agree that these two can APPEAR to be blurred together, however I do not believe that is the case. Heightened awareness is a very different thing to manifesting things with the power of thought.

Keymoo, I am not disagreeing with you or TinGull or anyone else who has any view on this matter. As I said, I have a completely open mind on it.

In fact, it’s possibly worth me mentioning that I have a frighteningly wide education in a number of the occult arts and actively practise what some might consider rather far out esoteric rituals as part of my 'normal' (?) daily routine. So I am definitely not attempting to demean any consideration of the possibility of thought as a vibratory force being able to manifest material events. I’m as flaky as the next guru….

What I was suggesting was that it is worth acknowledging the possibility of a more prosaic explanation to some of these ‘events’ in helping to gain some useful balance for the debate and to further understand and develop any mechanism for its utilisation.

You’ll note that critics of The Secret (2006 NOT the 2007 version!!! LOL) and of “What the Bleep†as with critics on pretty much any ‘out there’ topic pick up on the fact that most adherents to any on-the-edge issue-under-threat are totally evangelical about whatever their thing is and put everything that happens down to whatever mystical force they’re currently championing. I remember for a short period after doing my NLP prac course that I was a total NLP wally (is that word used in the U.S.? If not, read the word ‘dork’) and everything was the subject or result of some damned NLP technique or another.

What I’m saying in short is that while there may be a basis for manifestation of material events through the power of thought, there is also the need to acknowledge that there are other factors which could lead to the same result. Some purely to do with our perceptions and awareness and focus and intent. Others purely coincidental.

If you want to pick up a famous volume on this subject, check out The Master Key System ; Charles Haanel.

Good to see everybody discussing the LOA in regards to trading. Tingull, if you want more information that goes beyond "The secret" I suggest you check out Abraham Hicks teachings. The Secret is a nice introduction to the concept but it is limited by the ideas society currently finds "acceptable". Peace

The way I look at Law of attraction is you can think about say being an ideal trader and as long as you keep thinking about it nothing may happen, it will be just a pipe dream.

If you then put effort into becoming the ideal trader then with thought and effort your dream mybe on the way.

I believe that the law of attraction works for the trader, but not by wishing for a result but by transforming yourself into becoming the ideal trader.

So instead of your manifestation coming to you, you transform to meet your manifestation.

Like energy attracts like energy.

Anyway just my opinion.

cheers

1pipatatime

Gandalf,

It's not the thought of losing per say, but it's the feeling. You can say affirmations all you want, but what you FEEL is what is responded to by the universe.

Take the example of prayer, not that I'm religious, but it's a good example. When people pray for something, it invokes the FEELING of that which is wanted, and that is what the Universe, God, All That Is - whatever you want to call It - responds to. Praying desperately without connection to the feeling of having what is wanted is just called worrying.

Uh oh, I can sense some flack about to begin :crap: LOL

Uli Schmuli

Uli, this actually perfectly copes with the theory I have why some people claim affirmations don't work - until today, it was just my idea that while repeating an affirmation, you actually have to experience what you want to achieve in your mind, not just hum-drumming some words blindly, you basically confirmed it... Thanks

Uli, this actually perfectly copes with the theory I have why some people claim affirmations don't work - until today, it was just my idea that while repeating an affirmation, you actually have to experience what you want to achieve in your mind, not just hum-drumming some words blindly, you basically confirmed it... Thanks

Maltz once said if you lie the same lie to others often enough, you start to believe it yourself!

Maltz once said if you lie the same lie to others often enough, you start to believe it yourself!

Maltz also said:

"For imagination sets the goal picture which our automatic mechanism works on. We act, or fail to act, not because of will, as is so commonly believed, but because of imagination."

Uli - Exactly. Your quote is the explanation of why it is so.

Well done :)

But, if we believe it to be true, does this mean it is?

"I think, therefore I am" Descartes

"I believe, therefore it manifests" His Dudeness