Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

horace

Cloud Servers, VPS

I would like it increase my knowledge of VPS, Cloud Servers etc as I don't know much about them, but I have heard that they can be useful for trading.

Thanks for any help

If you have a PC with a decent amount of RAM (2GB or more) you might download and install VirtualBox (free open source virtualization software). This will enable you to run virtual machines on your PC. Install Linux or Windows in a VirtualBox virtual machine. Otherwise sign up with Amazon Web Services and use their EC2 service to boot up a VPS. It costs a few cents an hour. Try a Google search to find answers to any questions you might have.

I would like it increase my knowledge of VPS, Cloud Servers etc as I don't know much about them, but I have heard that they can be useful for trading.

Thanks for any help

Virtual Private Servers & Cloud Servers are essentially computers located somewhere else...usually in a server farm in a big city...Some people advise traders to install their trading software on a VPS closer to the exchange in order to get better executions...The truth is that nearly all of the VPS & Cloud Servers are SHARED...which means that you will be sharing the servers resources (CPU, hard drives & transmission hardware) with what could be dozens or 100s of other users! If another user is taxing the server, you could be out of luck! Most of the servers on server farms these days are middle to lower end machines, (many of which are refurbished) with older processors that server farms can buy in bulk...Sadly the chance of getting better executions is overshadowed by this truth...Unless you have 100's of thousands of dollars to buy your own hardware, pay someone to maintain it and a location to rent next to the exchange server, you won't see any benefit.....and even if you were able to afford it the benefit received would be questionable at best.....