Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

GlassOnion

Best Phone For Trading ?

Hi,

I have searched through old threads about phones for trading. They are a bit dated now so I was wondering if people would give their views and experiences of the best phones to use for trading.

It would also be useful if people might suggest how much data capacity would be required. I am entitled to a new phone and want to make the right decision.

I may also choose a different plan if required. At the moment I have 2GB data per month.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I have searched through old threads about phones for trading. They are a bit dated now so I was wondering if people would give their views and experiences of the best phones to use for trading.

It would also be useful if people might suggest how much data capacity would be required. I am entitled to a new phone and want to make the right decision.

I may also choose a different plan if required. At the moment I have 2GB data per month.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have 4 22 and 23 inch monitors that I use for trading. I wish you well with a 3.5 inch screen.

Any trading over wifi or any wireless data connection - phone, tablet, laptop or otherwise - is not a great idea imho. Too unreliable. Maybe one day though.

I certainly can understand someone being a bit concerned about trading in this manner. Certainly nothing is foolproof, all I can offer is my own experience. I have been using a very fast Verizon portable broadband modem for almost 2 years now, and am able to trade in various mountain ranges and even wilderness areas. I spend some time finding the best spots where my connection is strong and stable, and also use a very small and light antenna made for the job that plugs into the modem. During all this time I have never had a trading disaster of any kind. I am using a 15.6 inch laptop with an 8 hour battery and a solar panel. So I am able to work from a wide variety of locations. I am sending this via my wireless connection right now.

Most large brokers offer trading via an app, usually on iPhone - but you're limited by the 3.5" screen. I use my iPhone with iTeleport to remote desktop to my PC at home running Multicharts.

I can trade from it, but naturally much easier to just monitor trades.

I'm planning on moving to a Samsung Galaxy Note II which is a 5.5" screen monster phone, mainly for browsing but if you do plan to trade from the phone as a primary device, the bigger the screen the better - so right now the top selling choice is the Samsung Galaxy SIII with a 4.8" screen.

I certainly can understand someone being a bit concerned about trading in this manner. Certainly nothing is foolproof, all I can offer is my own experience. I have been using a very fast Verizon portable broadband modem for almost 2 years now, and am able to trade in various mountain ranges and even wilderness areas. I spend some time finding the best spots where my connection is strong and stable, and also use a very small and light antenna made for the job that plugs into the modem. During all this time I have never had a trading disaster of any kind. I am using a 15.6 inch laptop with an 8 hour battery and a solar panel. So I am able to work from a wide variety of locations. I am sending this via my wireless connection right now.

That sounds pretty interesting Qiman! Maybe you should start a thread with pictures of where you're trading from each day or week :)

Any trading over wifi or any wireless data connection - phone, tablet, laptop or otherwise - is not a great idea imho. Too unreliable. Maybe one day though.

I have cable internet and used to have the modem/router in my office directly connected to my computer. However, a while back I wanted to put a TV in my office so I moved the modem/router to the room next door and just connect wirelessly. I haven't noticed any difference. Works fine.

I'd guess there's probably a way to have the TV and modem both in my office but I haven't bothered to try to find out because it works fine the way it is now. :2c:

That sounds pretty interesting Qiman! Maybe you should start a thread with pictures of where you're trading from each day or week :)

That sounds like too much work, right when I am further simplifying my life!

I could certainly send you a PM with a recent photo from a few weeks ago when I was at 9,000 ft in the cool high country of New Mexico. Each afternoon I would take off hiking in country full of elk and turkey, One of my best trips ever. By contrast, today I am in the city of El Paso, just miles from Juarez, the murder capital of the world

Yea Glass Onion I have searched a lot of info on a lot of phones and phone plans. You might get different results depending on the area you live. But the best phone for trading in my area is a 20 dollar GO phone. Its a NOKIA that at the time came right in the GO phone box. Im not sure if you can still buy the phone with the card. You might need to buy the phone and the card separately. I think its 20 bucks every 90 days. Its pretty cheep compared to all the other plans I looked at.

I use this phone EVERY DAY for trading so I know its reliable. I have only had to use it a few times over the years so its paid for itself many times over. I have my brokers order desk programed into the #5 and in case of an emergency with my net, connection, or comp I just hold #5 for 3 sec and tell the guy at the other end my account number and to close all positions.

The other posts so far seem to suggest that you were some how going to place orders on your phone. I know you are too smart for that. Why do that anyway when you can just call the order desk and tell them to place an order like the old days? So you dont need a 2GIG iphone to just place a call for trading. Unless you want an iphone because its cool or gives you some sort of status. So yea buy the NOKIA call the order desk and put the extra cash in your pocket. ;)

The best phone/platform for trading is the one best supported by your broker (most features, developer support, etc.). For example with Interactive Brokers, they seem to support the iPhone the best.