Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Predictor

Intermittent Fasting

I've started this IF diet.

The IF diet is reported to help repair the body, slow aging process, and lose fat. I am on the 24 day on/24 off cycle. According to the science (see Eat Fast and Live Longer BBC), that you can eat anything on the on cycle. I don't really get that hungry but I don't get satisfied easily. So when I start eating then I tend to overeat.

I notice I probably get less hungry on fasting days then on eating days most of the time. I get hungry about 2x per day really strong but that's about it. Workout went smooth on fasting day. I will eat a few pieces of fruit or almonds. I probably run below 200 calories on fast days so far but willing to up it to 500 if I need too.

I am hoping for some pretty dramatic results... nothing dramatic yet but I plan to give it about 6 weeks before making a final decision.

http://www.livestrong.com/blog/the-end-of-dieting/

Studies shown about 1.5 pound per week loss about 4%-5% body fat % loss after about 4-6 weeks. So, I'm hoping for sometihng like that... but some people lost more.

So, weight loss without sacrificing strength, stamina, or overall health ?

So, weight loss without sacrificing strength, stamina, or overall health ?

yes, all that and more.

However, it is important though to understand that “fasting” is the surface process of the underlying intent – which is autophagy…

btw, most ppl who are prioritizing weight loss (or changing body fat ratio) will get better results on a different schedule than day on, day off ...

mostly because for them - especially in the early stages - it takes more than one day to get sufficient autophagy kicked in ...

ie using "studies" is not a very good validation or guide for your own application of the principles... even framing IF, etc as a 'die t' is careening off course... far better to get to know your own autophagy markers...

…If you need, I can provide niche guidance, info, and referrals to individuals via PM...

all the best,

zdo

yes, all that and more.

However, it is important though to understand that “fasting” is the surface process of the underlying intent – which is autophagy…

…If you need, I can provide niche guidance, info, and referrals to individuals via PM...

all the best,

zdo

That would be interesting ZDO.

I used to do a 3 - 5 day fast twice a year. Just cleansing. not weight loss. this was a few years ago, not recently.

Sometimes it bothers people when I say my problem is keeping weight on.

Sometimes it bothers people when I say my problem is keeping weight on.

A friend of mine had this problem - turns out he had an insulin problem that did not get picked up - he has now fixed this and looks and feels much healthier with daily insulin injections.....not a recommendation to do anything more than ask at a checkup.

A friend of mine had this problem - turns out he had an insulin problem that did not get picked up - he has now fixed this and looks and feels much healthier with daily insulin injections.....not a recommendation to do anything more than ask at a checkup.

I have been down that road.. When I was younger doctors were always wanting to send me for Gloucose tolerant's testing. Always tested normal. Always felt great ( still do though nowadays the thought of an afternoon nap is hard to resist).

I thought I'd share my update. I've lost about 30 pounds since starting the IF protocol. I'm still not to my first target. But, I can say this is probably the best protocol that I've ever personally seen.

From having going to the gym for years (over the years), and training at various intensity levels I can say 2 things: going to the gym for serious fat loss is a waste of time -- without the proper diet in place and #2 everyone should go to the gym to improve their health. I know it sounds like a contradiction -- but its the truth. Listen everything you've ever read about fat loss is a total scam.

Cardio training for fat loss is a real waste of time compared to the results that one can get from a little bit of fasting. I can burn more calories sleeping at night then someone at the gym training hard for 2 hours. However, weight training is extremely valuable and those results can't be obtained from diet alone.

The only type of results that I've seen comparable to IF would be when I wrestled in high school. I trained 2-3 hours each day and then 2-3 hours on the weekend.

If you want to achieve "extreme" or "significant" fat loss: there are only 2 options I've seen work:

1. Extreme athletic training, i.e 2 hours per day 5 days per week. Works but most can't do it. Extremely hard on body and has significant risk.

2. Intermittent Fasting preferably with strength training. Works.

What doesn't work well enough to justify it is going to the gym 2x-3x per week and doing 30 minutes of cardio or exercise. You might lose a little but you won't achieve extreme fat loss unless the program is an extreme fitness style program.

I should also add during my non fasting periods, I've eaten normally or even worse -- just to test it. One week I had a milkshake almost every other day, I ate like 4 plates of spaghetti, and didn't do any exercise: I lost about 2 pounds that week. Of course, that doesn't mean that one can't overdo it. I've hit a few weeks where I leveled off. During these times, I just make minor adjustments: extend the fast, eat a little healthier, or increase my weight training or add some low intensity cardio.

Çheck out the warrior diet. Ive been following it for almost three years now and have never looked back. It is more of a way of life now not so much a diet. That plus crossfit has been a fantastic combo especially for a former athlete or a competitor and id like to think we all have a little of that competitive spirit in us.