Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

wsam29

17" or 19"

Has anyone recently upgraded their equipment from a 17" LCD to a 19" LCD?

I am in the market for 4 LCD's, I just don't know which to get.

17" to save some money or just do the 19" and get it over with.

Has anyone noticed any difference in the extra viewing area?

I'll have a total of 6 monitors when I am done.

Thanks

I have four 17 inch LCD's but am craving for more space. My next monitor upgrade with be 20" minimum. In my opinion, if you decide to go with the 17's.. you will end up regretting not getting 20's.

I think it depends on how much info will be on each screen. I have six 17" Samsungs now and it's more than enough for me as I don't have a bunch of different settings for each market/monitor.

The 19"s will obviously give you more space, but keep in mind that when you multiply that by 6 monitors, the overall space being used by the monitors goes up quite a bit. The monitor stand and monitors that I have now is fairly big and not sure that I would want the overall space to be even bigger.

As a side note, I would recommend Samsung monitors. They are great for multi-monitor setups b/c certain models have a very basic and slim 'border' around the actual screen. Some monitors have logos, buttons, etc around the edge of the screen, but some Samsungs just have a slim black outline and it's much easier on the eyes. Something like this - http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Analog/LS17MJVKBJXAA.asp

I upgraded from a 15" to a 19" and a 20". My 20inch is my iMac and another Samsung 19inch. I notice a difference even going from the 19 to the 20inch screen. I would have a difficult time if I had to use 17's, also because I make music on this computer so I like to have screen real estate for my tracks. All in all...19" would be great :) And yea, samsung monitors pretty much kick the crap out of all other monitors.

20 inch standard is 1600*1200 with decent pixel size

20 inch widescreen actually has less resolution (1600*1200>1680*1050) and has greater chance of driver conflicts (some programs have issues with widescreen format, but not any trading progs i am aware of)

I have two 20's as well as a laptop and one external 15.

I am looking to purchase two more 20's in the next month or two

20's are great

no widescreens.

sounds to me like no one can go wrong with larger monitors.

no, for me, I am content with LG, I've been using these two =witrh no problems.

one has over 7000 hours on it, I've been trying to find LCDs with an elasped time counter on the LG L1511S, the L1751s does not come withat feature yet it is a newer model.

funny how that works, the older model has the time counter.

Man, I saw the topic for this post and I thought we would be talking about rims!:p

In terms of PC: Get the 19-20 inch wide screen.

In terms of cool stuff i.e cars: Get 19"+ rims, you get more women that way!

Man, I saw the topic for this post and I thought we would be talking about rims!:p

In terms of cool stuff i.e cars: Get 19"+ rims, you get more women that way!

lol

winter and salt, not a good combination for after market wheels.

(I know I can change them and have a set of winter tires and wheels) :p

Buy as much screen real estate as you can. Just got 4 22" and they are awesome. Another cool thing to look into is Twin Wan routers. These puppies combine two different high speed connections (i.e. DSL and Cable) for redundancy and fail over and screaming fast combined speeds (sometimes near T1). Great for peace of mind and you can still use your landline and/or cell for backup to your brokers but I doubt you'll ever need it.