Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Mysticforex

What's Your Win Rate ?

For the past few months my win rate has been running about 61% or so. What makes this work out is always going for a R/R 2:1 And being willing to get out of losing trades fast.

How have you been doing ?

My win rate is 71.4% my PL is a disaster; it takes me an average of 12 wins to pay for one loss. It looks like I like to win more than I like money; I don’t see a remedy insight

Correct me if I am wrong. You are risking 100 pip to make 50 pips ? Or some variation there of ?

Or, are your TPs too conservative ? S/Ls too optimistic ?

It takes more time finding a better setup. But in the long run I think you will save time not having to take 12 trades to break even.

If you could post a chart of a typical trade, so I know I am not missing/misunderstanding anything.

About 60K in the last 4 months. I think that is all that matters. Dont you???

Can't say based on the info provided. If your account is 7 figures, you'd be better off in Tbills

On the other hand, if you're saying that win rate is useless information without considering others factors - I agree completely.

There is a company that I was introduced to that was selling a subscription with indicators that boasted a 90% and 90%+ win rate. They were and I think still are totally affordable. The charts that you needed to rent or use were the cheapest and the most affordable package I have seen yet. I am not sure if I can mention the name of the company or not I will have to get back to you on that.

Did the indicators work? That is the most important thing most people will tell you. Are they really 90% accurate? That is what most people especially here are looking for. That is what makes the most sense. Must be a scam!!! Nothing is that good. I had a friend tell me if it was that good he would get a loan if he had to to make this work. Affordable charts, affordable indicators, and 90% "+" accuracy. "Well I would have to back test it myself." Guess what the indicators are in fact 90%.

So I traded it and lived happily ever after? WRONG No one is up for the year trading the system I mentioned. The only people making money over there are the ones selling the subs.

What went wrong? How can a system that is affordable and works 90 "+" % not make money. Here is how.

• #1 The core would only take a certain trade a day. If you gauge the indicators against 1 trade then yes you get higher results but you lose all the flexibility of having days that could of been winners if you had taken another trade. But regardless its 90% right?

• #2 Yes it is 90% but the stop out was 51+pip (or tick depending on the market) stop loss vs. 10 pip/tick profit. If you want higher then 90% one of the trainers uses a 101 pip stop out for a 10 tick profit. YIKES! Guess what you can have a 90%+ win rate and still lose money. Lets do some quick math in case this concept isn't coming through.

Say you have 100 trading days and with 90% that is 90 winning days! Not bad. So with 90 wins at 10 pips with 1 contract is 900 USD in your account (not including commissions). YEA not bad. But what about the losers? That is 10 days losing at 51 ticks is -510 in losses. So that is 390 after you take your losses. Still not bad. However lets add commissions. Its roughly 3+ pips on forex for an account that small but we will go with 3. 3 pips to the broker x 100 trades( you have to pay for the bad ones too :P) = 300 in commissions. 390-300 is well 90 USD that you can make with 1 contract with a 90% system in roughly 6 months. That is roughly 200 bucks a year. This is with out any errors on your part and if you don't make any mistakes. Now all you have to do is keep your full time job and get a part time job so you can afford to keep the charts and indicators going and you can trade a 90% system.

So what about the 90+% win rate with the 101 stop? Well at 95 % you can make 145 that is only 55 dollars more over 6 months by doubling your stop out. OK what is wrong with that? I must hate making money to have a problem with that! NO the problem is what will happen if the 95% comes off just a little bit. To go from 95% to 90 percent with the same stop loss is -410. Yea and its still a 90% wining system! What about the 90% system with the 51 pip coming off 5% down to 85%? -215 after commissions. And this is still an 85% WIN rate system. This is how you lose money and still have a high win rate.

Why did I go through this whole run down to tell you this? So hopefully you can learn from my experience and not have to take so long till you are making money. What did I learn? Don't put so much emphasis on win rate or win percentage. It is important but not the only thing. It is part and maybe a small part of the equation. Yes you need to win no debating that. The question is "HOW MUCH ARE YOU MAKING?" Why are you trading in the first place? Can you quit your job and use this to support yourself? Can you buy a boat or car or house or go on a vacation with the profits from trading? How long did it take you to get that much capital? Don't become diluted in win rates and percentages of winners to losers. Are you making money? Can you pay bills with what you have made in the market? Last time I checked you cant pay an electric bill on sim cash or a high win rate. All the car dealerships around me wont sell me a car on wins and a bank wont give me a loan either on a high win rate. But cash everyone seems to understand that for some reason. They will sell you a car if you have cash. All those other unfortunate folks using the 90% system couldn't pay for the affordable charts with the profits of the system let alone any bill or retirement.

Do all 90% system lose? Of course not. The point is not to bash all 90% programs or programs but rather bring to light the more important elements.

Most traders don't or wont talk about this or refuse to talk about it. Well guess what most traders don't make money in this anyway. If you feel uncomfortable talking about this to others then you need to be asking yourself the above questions. If you are doing this as a hobby or are an inventor then disregard all of this post and carry on doing what you are doing.

About 60K in the last 4 months. I think that is all that matters. Dont you???

The question is "HOW MUCH ARE YOU MAKING?" Why are you trading in the first place? Can you quit your job and use this to support yourself? ... Are you making money? Can you pay bills with what you have made in the market? Last time I checked you cant pay an electric bill on sim cash or a high win rate. All the car dealerships around me wont sell me a car on wins and a bank wont give me a loan either on a high win rate. But cash everyone seems to understand that for some reason. They will sell you a car if you have cash. ... Most traders don't or wont talk about this or refuse to talk about it. Well guess what most traders don't make money in this anyway.

I'm very new to the trading business, but I have been supporting first myself, then both me and my wife, and now my family since I was eighteen in my own business. I agree with you 100%.

I have been reading through this and another trading forum, and I will say this: There is a lot of talk about the need to treat trading as a business, but there is little practical acknowledgement as to what exactly one should demand from a business enterprise.

The purpose of a business is to generate an income. If you can't generate an income, then you need to get out of that business and into one that will allow you to generate an income. It seems many people have a difficult time succeeding in this business. I wonder if a large part of that difficulty is that they have not planned for how to take money from a trading account to "Hip Pocket National Bank."

A trading plan is one thing, but it needs to be a part of an overall business plan. The business plan should set benchmarks for success. A key element would be a plan to draw money from your account to finance your life.

From what I have read here and elsewhere, quite a few people would not honestly be able to answer the question you put to them: "Why are you trading in the first place?" It would seem that for many, making a profit sufficient to fund a decent living is not the primary goal of trading the financial markets.

Don't put so much emphasis on win rate or win percentage. It is important but not the only thing. It is part and maybe a small part of the equation. Yes you need to win no debating that. The question is "HOW MUCH ARE YOU MAKING?"

Hi Colonel,

I agree with you about percentage win-rates - it's not a very important evaluation metric. In assessing whether or not to adopt a particular trading strategy it can be useful from a psychological perspective, as many are not comfortable with the concept of "losing" (I include myself - give me a great trend following system with a 30% win-rate and I'd soon get spooked and screw it up!). Beyond that, win rate is not really very informative.

"How Much Are You Making?" is a better question, but I don't think that stating the answer in dollar terms is that useful. Wouldn't it be more useful to state this as a percentage return on the account, and assume that this return can then be compounded through effective money management?

I for one am certainly not interested in whether I make enough money to live on this year or next; I'm interested in how much money I will have twenty or thirty years down the line . . .

BlueHorseshoe

Edited by MadMarketScientist
no personal attacks

...Don't put so much emphasis on win rate or win percentage. It is important but not the only thing. It is part and maybe a small part of the equation. Yes you need to win no debating that. The question is "HOW MUCH ARE YOU MAKING?" ...

I agree that focusing on a single variable may be misguiding. A strategy with %99 accuracy may evaporate your trading account.

isn't putting so much emphasis on "how much you are you making" the same?

saying that I make X amount in Y time brings so many questions.

I think when new traders evaluate a trading system, they should check:

-initial investment size

-leverage

-win/loss rate

-average win&lose

-how long you have been using this system

-duration of trades

-average profit per week-month

-max consecutive winning trades & losing trades

in my very humble opinion....

For the past few months my win rate has been running about 61% or so. What makes this work out is always going for a R/R 2:1 And being willing to get out of losing trades fast.

How have you been doing ?

My winning rates around 45 - 55 % on weekly basis. I manage to make some money from Forex but sometime it is rather hard. I used all the necessary tools from the market to boost up my trade but still i can find myself in a losing trade. Is there anyone who's winning rate is near to perfection in Forex?? :confused:

My win rate is 71.4% my PL is a disaster; it takes me an average of 12 wins to pay for one loss. It looks like I like to win more than I like money; I don’t see a remedy insight

This is most likely not a trade strategy problem. In contrast, there is a problem within your trading plan involving something amongst all those components that work with your trade strategy.

Those components in your trading plan are money management, proper capitalization, position size management, trading experience, discipline, proper trading environment, proper equipment and so on.

My winning rates around 45 - 55 % on weekly basis. I manage to make some money from Forex but sometime it is rather hard. I used all the necessary tools from the market to boost up my trade but still i can find myself in a losing trade. Is there anyone who's winning rate is near to perfection in Forex?? :confused:

so far i've never seen someone with %90+ winning rate (with reasonable profit-loss targets)...instead of searching for "perfection", improving yourself&gaining experience (yes it takes time) might be better.

I guess that this was hard to make. How can someone have an average winning of 97% on weekly basis. It is very difficult to achieve nearly impossible but i cant say that as we never know what can happen in Forex. So far i have never seen a winning average of 97%. Even EA cannot do that??

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• Date: 18th April 2024. Market News – Stock markets benefit from Dollar correction. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Technical buying, bargain hunting, and risk aversion helped Treasuries rally and unwind recent losses. Yields dropped from the recent 2024 highs. Asian stock markets strengthened, as the US Dollar corrected in the wake of comments from Japan’s currency chief Masato Kanda, who said G7 countries continue to stress that excessive swings and disorderly moves in the foreign exchange market were harmful for economies. US Stockpiles expanded to 10-month high. The data overshadowed the impact of geopolitical tensions in the Middle East as traders await Israel’s response to Iran’s unprecedented recent attack. President Joe Biden called for higher tariffs on imports of Chinese steel and aluminum.   Financial Markets Performance:   The USDIndex stumbled, falling to 105.66 at the end of the day from the intraday high of 106.48. It lost ground against most of its G10 peers. There wasn’t much on the calendar to provide new direction. USDJPY lows retesting the 154 bottom! NOT an intervention yet. BoJ/MoF USDJPY intervention happens when there is more than 100+ pip move in seconds, not 50 pips. USOIL slumped by 3% near $82, as US crude inventories rose by 2.7 million barrels last week, hitting the highest level since last June, while gauges of fuel demand declined. Gold strengthened as the dollar weakened and bullion is trading at $2378.44 per ounce. Market Trends:   Wall Street closed in the red after opening with small corrective gains. The NASDAQ underperformed, slumping -1.15%, with the S&P500 -0.58% lower, while the Dow lost -0.12. The Nikkei closed 0.2% higher, the Hang Seng gained more than 1. European and US futures are finding buyers. A gauge of global chip stocks and AI bellwether Nvidia Corp. have both fallen into a technical correction. The TMSC reported its first profit rise in a year, after strong AI demand revived growth at the world’s biggest contract chipmaker. The main chipmaker to Apple Inc. and Nvidia Corp. recorded a 9% rise in net income, beating estimates. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 17th April 2024. Market News – Appetite for risk-taking remains weak. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Stocks, Treasury yields and US Dollar stay firmed. Fed Chair Powell added to the recent sell off. His slightly more hawkish tone further priced out chances for any imminent action and the timing of a cut was pushed out further. He suggested if higher inflation does persist, the Fed will hold rates steady “for as long as needed.” Implied Fed Fund: There remains no real chance for a move on May 1 and at their intraday highs the June implied funds rate future showed only 5 bps, while July reflected only 10 bps. And a full 25 bps was not priced in until November, with 38 bps in cuts seen for 2024. US & EU Economies Diverging: Lagarde says ECB is moving toward rate cuts – if there are no major shocks. UK March CPI inflation falls less than expected. Output price inflation has started to nudge higher, despite another decline in input prices. Together with yesterday’s higher than expected wage numbers, the data will add to the arguments of the hawks at the BoE, which remain very reluctant to contemplate rate cuts. Canada CPI rose 0.6% in March, double the 0.3% February increase BUT core eased. The doors are still open for a possible cut at the next BoC meeting on June 5. IMF revised up its global growth forecast for 2024 with inflation easing, in its new World Economic Outlook. This is consistent with a global soft landing, according to the report. Financial Markets Performance:   USDJPY also inched up to 154.67 on expectations the BoJ will remain accommodative and as the market challenges a perceived 155 red line for MoF intervention. USOIL prices slipped -0.15% to $84.20 per barrel. Gold rose 0.24% to $2389.11 per ounce, a new record closing high as geopolitical risks overshadowed the impacts of rising rates and the stronger dollar. Market Trends:   Wall Street waffled either side of unchanged on the day amid dimming rate cut potential, rising yields, and earnings. The major indexes closed mixed with the Dow up 0.17%, while the S&P500 and NASDAQ lost -0.21% and -0.12%, respectively. Asian stock markets mostly corrected again, with Japanese bourses underperforming and the Nikkei down -1.3%. Mainland China bourses were a notable exception and the CSI 300 rallied 1.4%, but the MSCI Asia Pacific index came close to erasing the gains for this year. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.vvvvvvv
    • Date: 16th April 2024. Market News – Stocks and currencies sell off; USD up. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Stocks and currencies sell off, while the US Dollar picks up haven flows. Treasuries yields spiked again to fresh 2024 peaks before paring losses into the close, post, the stronger than expected retail sales eliciting a broad sell off in the markets. Rates surged as the data pushed rate cut bets further into the future with July now less than a 50-50 chance. Wall Street finished with steep declines led by tech. Stocks opened in the green on a relief trade after Israel repulsed the well advertised attack from Iran on Sunday. But equities turned sharply lower and extended last week’s declines amid the rise in yields. Investor concerns were intensified as Israel threatened retaliation. There’s growing anxiety over earnings even after a big beat from Goldman Sachs. UK labor market data was mixed, as the ILO unemployment rate unexpectedly lifted, while wage growth came in higher than anticipated – The data suggests that the labor market is catching up with the recession. Mixed messages then for the BoE. China grew by 5.3% in Q1 however the numbers are causing a lot of doubts over sustainability of this growth. The bounce came in the first 2 months of the year. In March, growth in retail sales slumped and industrial output decelerated below forecasts, suggesting challenges on the horizon. Today: Germany ZEW, US housing starts & industrial production, Fed Vice Chair Philip Jefferson speech, BOE Bailey speech & IMF outlook. Earnings releases: Morgan Stanley and Bank of America. Financial Markets Performance:   The US Dollar rallied to 106.19 after testing 106.25, gaining against JPY and rising to 154.23, despite intervention risk. Yen traders started to see the 160 mark as the next Resistance level. Gold surged 1.76% to $2386 per ounce amid geopolitical risks and Chinese buying, even as the USD firmed and yields climbed. USOIL is flat at $85 per barrel. Market Trends:   Breaks of key technical levels exacerbated the sell off. Tech was the big loser with the NASDAQ plunging -1.79% to 15,885 while the S&P500 dropped -1.20% to 5061, with the Dow sliding -0.65% to 37,735. The S&P had the biggest 2-day sell off since March 2023. Nikkei and ASX lost -1.9% and -1.8% respectively, and the Hang Seng is down -2.1%. European bourses are down more than -1% and US futures are also in the red. CTA selling tsunami: “Just a few points lower CTAs will for the first time this year start selling in size, to add insult to injury, we are breaking major trend-lines in equities and the gamma stabilizer is totally gone.” Short term CTA threshold levels are kicking in big time according to GS. Medium term is 4873 (most important) while the long term level is at 4605. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 15th April 2024. Market News – Negative Reversion; Safe Havens Rally. Trading Leveraged Products is risky Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Markets weigh risk of retaliation cycle in Middle East. Initially the retaliatory strike from Iran on Israel fostered a haven bid, into bonds, gold and other haven assets, as it threatens a wider regional conflict. However, this morning, Oil and Asian equity markets were muted as traders shrugged off fears of a war escalation in the Middle East. Iran said “the matter can be deemed concluded”, and President Joe Biden has called on Israel to exercise restraint following Iran’s drone and missile strike, as part of Washington’s efforts to ease tensions in the Middle East and minimize the likelihood of a widespread regional conflict. New US and UK sanctions banned deliveries of Russian supplies, i.e. key industrial metals, produced after midnight on Friday. Aluminum jumped 9.4%, nickel rose 8.8%, suggesting brokers are bracing for major supply chain disruption. Financial Markets Performance:   The USDIndex fell back from highs over 106 to currently 105.70. The Yen dip against USD to 153.85. USOIL settled lower at 84.50 per barrel and Gold is trading below session highs at currently $2357.92 per ounce. Copper, more liquid and driven by the global economy over recent weeks, was more subdued this morning. Currently at $4.3180. Market Trends:   Asian stock markets traded mixed, but European and US futures are slightly higher after a tough session on Friday and yields have picked up. Mainland China bourses outperformed overnight, after Beijing offered renewed regulatory support. The PBOC meanwhile left the 1-year MLF rate unchanged, while once again draining funds from the system. Nikkei slipped 1% to 39,114.19. On Friday, NASDAQ slumped -1.62% to 16,175, unwinding most of Thursday’s 1.68% jump to a new all-time high at 16,442. The S&P500 fell -1.46% and the Dow dropped 1.24%. Declines were broadbased with all 11 sectors of the S&P finishing in the red. JPMorgan Chase sank 6.5% despite reporting stronger profit in Q1. The nation’s largest bank gave a forecast for a key source of income this year that fell below Wall Street’s estimate, calling for only modest growth. Apple shipments drop by 10% in Q1. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • The morning of my last post I happened to glance over to the side and saw “...angst over the FOMC’s rate trajectory triggered a flight to safety, hence boosting the haven demand. “   http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/topic/21621-hfmarkets-hfmcom-market-analysis-services/page/17/?tab=comments#comment-228522   I reacted, but didn’t take time to  respond then... will now --- HFBlogNews, I don’t know if you are simply aggregating the chosen narratives for the day or if it’s your own reporting... either way - “flight to safety”????  haven ?????  Re: “safety  - ”Those ‘solid rocks’ are getting so fragile a hit from a dandelion blowball might shatter them... like now nobody wants to buy longer term new issues at these rates...yet the financial media still follows the scripts... The imagery they pound day in and day out makes it look like the Fed knows what they’re doing to help ‘us’... They do know what they’re doing - but it certainly is not to help ‘us’... and it is not to ‘control’ inflation... And at some point in the not too distant future, the interest due will eat a huge portion of the ‘revenue’ Re: “haven” The defaults are coming ...  The US will not be the first to default... but it will certainly not be the very last to default !! ...Enough casual anti-white racism for the day  ... just sayin’

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.