Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

gomes

MP on excel

Hello Ryker, first thank you very much for your excellent spreadsheet for MP. The graphic representation is very excellent.

I have tried to change the infos of your spreadsheet to put my data for 07/05/07 from 17:00pm until 17:00pm the next to get 24 hrs as it is EUR/USD on spot forex from my VT charts with the tick volume and it doesn't work:(

Do you know what I have done not correctly?

I have attached a copy of your excel sheet that I have modified.

If you can tell me what to do it would be much appreciated.

Sincerly

Shreem:)

MP - 0.024.xls

Hello Ryker, first thank you very much for your excellent spreadsheet for MP. The graphic representation is very excellent.

I have tried to change the infos of your spreadsheet to put my data for 07/05/07 from 17:00pm until 17:00pm the next to get 24 hrs as it is EUR/USD on spot forex from my VT charts with the tick volume and it doesn't work:(

Sincerly

Hi Shreem,

I'm currently away from home (holidays :p) and can't really have a close look to your spreadsheet, I promise I'll have a look as soon as I come back next week.

Sincerly

Hi Shreem,

First I would suggest you to move to the latest version of the spreadsheets as I've done some improvements on it and will continue to add features in the future so I think better to use it.

Second try to use smaller window of data (from 7 to 17 for example), I tend to not use 24 hours data for currencies and split the day in 3 sessions (depending on the time I trade).

If anymore problems let me know and I'll have a closer look.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hi Ryker, thank you very much for your explantion. Will certainely try to do that and will get get back to you if problem persist.

A very big thank and Bravo to you to have put such a useful tool to all of us

Great work!:thumbs up:

I have been trading profitably now 17 years and currently use Ensign and Wave59 for my

realtime trading purposes. Unfortunely when it comes to Excel I don't know a thing! I installed

the add-ins as instructed but when I open the TL-MP.rar file I get gibberish. Obviously I'm doing

something wrong but have no idea what. Naturally I'm not asking anyone to give me a course

on the proper use of Excel, but would greatly appreciate it if someone could offer some advice on

getting started. I am very familiar with Market Profile (use to use WinDoTrader) and this looks like

an excellent tool. Thanks very much Ryker for posting it.

Joe

Hello Ryker, Still working on it and will get back on you when finish it. Right now, I am taking much time to put in application my learning about VSA and WRB and long shadow analysis.

As for now, putting a lesser timeframe for compiling data is the best solution.

I think you are right in trying to put 24 hours is too much.

I have a question though. In order to use this spreadsheet and get a day to day update, do I need to have a data feed vendor link to it?

If I am remembering correctly, I need this kind of data feed to use it!

If so, I do not have it:no:

Maybe, another way is to input data everyday in the spreadsheet manually.

Anyway, will get back on you when will get more time to look at it.

In any case, this is a very good tool that you have put to represent MP

Sincerly

Yes you'll need a data feed for it... I'm using Bloomberg for it but I've done it in a way that you can use any data feed you want but you'll need some work for it (not too much it's just a matter of updating a file every x minutes so not too difficult ;))...

You can input data manually if you prefer yes.

Humberto - I am not looking to swing trade - the trades I take - (not actual trades at this stage I must add - just theory) are all day trades. I am trying to put together a manual of my trading techniques. Unfortunately I feel I may have to ask a small price for this info - I have put alot of effort into it - and I will bundle it with an automated version of my MP learning tool. That is nowhere near ready yet however. I will post a pdfs of a few charts that highlight how you can trade without a value area. The main point is that the entire bell curve is either an acceptance level or it is rejected - that is about as specific as MP can get. I believe if you try to employ the 70% rule you will come unstuck. My opinion of course. You have to look for very high probability trades. You may want to look for a guy called Frank Butera at BalanceTrader. He has a video course that is quick cheap all things considered. I was a little disappointed at first with the depth of the course but with retrospect I think his actually focusses on the inportant points of MP and discards the esoteric. Take a look. It is worth it.

Thanks for the info Bobajob- would you mind elaborating a little more on the balancetrader info? What I have read on the site seems interesting enough- but just curious what you had to say about it.

Hi, I’m wondering if anybody could help me. I would like to use these charts in conjunction with Strategy Runner, which is a trade platform for futures and includes charts (normal bar and candle charts with various studies). I’m certainly no expert when it comes to using excel, but I have been able to connect SR with Excel so as it displays last traded price. Now, here’s where I get stuck, in fact I just simply don’t know what to do next. The data is coming in to one spread sheet, how do I get it into a MP sheet? How do get this data to arrange itself correctly in MP format?

I have been able to download and open the TL-MP.rar file(s) and it looks great, and I can appreciate not only the hard work that has gone into it, but also the fact that it’s freely available. I’d love to be able to put data into it, but as I said above.....I haven’t a clue ! I can get the data, but how do I copy it ? How do I put that data into the file called symbol.csv ? do I need a program to update this file ? if so what program seems to work for everybody else?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I apologise for my stupidity when it comes to these things!

Regards, LJD

Hi, I’m wondering if anybody could help me. I would like to use these charts in conjunction with Strategy Runner, which is a trade platform for futures and includes charts (normal bar and candle charts with various studies). I’m certainly no expert when it comes to using excel, but I have been able to connect SR with Excel so as it displays last traded price. Now, here’s where I get stuck, in fact I just simply don’t know what to do next. The data is coming in to one spread sheet, how do I get it into a MP sheet? How do get this data to arrange itself correctly in MP format?

I have been able to download and open the TL-MP.rar file(s) and it looks great, and I can appreciate not only the hard work that has gone into it, but also the fact that it’s freely available. I’d love to be able to put data into it, but as I said above.....I haven’t a clue ! I can get the data, but how do I copy it ? How do I put that data into the file called symbol.csv ? do I need a program to update this file ? if so what program seems to work for everybody else?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I apologise for my stupidity when it comes to these things!

Regards, LJD

Unfortunately if you want to do that you would have to program a bit... Excel is not always the best platform to handle realtime datafeeds (Bloomberg offers a download of historical intraday data, this is what I'm using) but it can be done (VBA is not very hard).

I think, somedody on this thread is using another datasource which looks to be great for an use with excel, you could try this one?

I am curious and want to learn but don't want to invest into something I don't understand and complex.

I think the free excel format is a great start for me to have an opportunity to study and learn what's MP is all about.

Hi all,

I found this forum from google search today.

sorry for my poor english to express my words properly. (I'm from Taiwan)

I studied MP and wrote VBA code to plot MP chart in spreadsheet for serval years.

my mp chart in excel

http://samde.myweb.hinet.net/

sample: excel file for MP chart.(odc 5,10,15,20 days included)

http://samde.myweb.hinet.net/mp20070315.rar

Care to share your code? thanks

Unfortunately if you want to do that you would have to program a bit... Excel is not always the best platform to handle realtime datafeeds (Bloomberg offers a download of historical intraday data, this is what I'm using) but it can be done (VBA is not very hard).

I think, somedody on this thread is using another datasource which looks to be great for an use with excel, you could try this one?

Hi,

May I have the bloomberg downloadable historical intraday data url? thanks in advance.

Hi Wow,

Unfortunately this isn't free, you must have a bloomberg terminal to be able to do that (I've got one at work)...

thanks Ryker.

Is that anywhere I could obtain free delay or end of day datas that I could use and learn from?

Very much appreciated.

Hi,

I know that you can access data from a webpage and download it to the spreadsheet with quote.com, I'm not sure on how to do it and I think it's not free.

For free data delayed or not I've no idea... For forex it should be easy but for futures?

Depends if you're a bit confident with VBA or not and if you're following just one symbol there is a way to have a file updated automatically.

Or you'll have to enter values manually :(.

Ok, I joined the spreadsheet.

Please note:

• You can plot many days as long as you have data (not too much because of restrictions in excel).
  • This is note the last version but as I'm still working on it and have made a lot of changes in it, I can't share it for now. Probably in the near future :).

Waiting for your feedbacks,

Thanks

Hi Ryker,

I actually just had a look at your spreadsheet. (Im out of date) I am extremely impressed and have no clue how you managed to do this. I trade the Nikkei so will need to tweak this accordingly. Is there a way to plot a composite profile? Or save day by day profiles on the same sheet?

Thank you very much for this.

Hi may be it is not the appropriate thread but because I've seen some experts in Excell DDE spreadsheet, I' asking you something probably very simple:

I need to make on Excell a simple Time & Sales with price & volume scrolling, (a Tape) and possibly also a filter to the volume (>10lots)

I use MultiCharts software feeded by IQ Feed but I don't have a Tape to read.

Unbeliveble a software like MC doesn't have T&S!!! they don't want even introduce it in the future!

That's why I'm trying to make it with excell.

Tks in advance for any helps.

Good trading

PS. I'm new to TL, I found it a very good place for traders, tks Soultrader

Hi Ryker,

I actually just had a look at your spreadsheet. (Im out of date) I am extremely impressed and have no clue how you managed to do this. I trade the Nikkei so will need to tweak this accordingly. Is there a way to plot a composite profile? Or save day by day profiles on the same sheet?

Thank you very much for this.

Thanks :), I have to say that when I started to work on the spreadsheet I never thought that I could have that...

I'm not sure to understand what do you mean by a composite profile or day by day profiles?

Thanks

Hi may be it is not the appropriate thread but because I've seen some experts in Excell DDE spreadsheet, I' asking you something probably very simple:

I need to make on Excell a simple Time & Sales with price & volume scrolling, (a Tape) and possibly also a filter to the volume (>10lots)

I use MultiCharts software feeded by IQ Feed but I don't have a Tape to read.

Unbeliveble a software like MC doesn't have T&S!!! they don't want even introduce it in the future!

That's why I'm trying to make it with excell.

Tks in advance for any helps.

Good trading

PS. I'm new to TL, I found it a very good place for traders, tks Soultrader

Do you know if DDE is available with your feed? Not everybody give this possibility?

If yes, I think what you would like to do will be quite easy to do in Excel.

Let me know.