Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

m123

Auto Trading in Tradestation

I can program and have been trading manually for 3-4 years now. I have never used tradestation but was looking to transfer. I have 2 strategies that I think have extremely high success rates. I am looking to use tradestation for backtesting and implementing these strategies. It involves SPX, SPY, GLD. I see a lot of guys here using TS.

1. Can some of you users please guide me if this is the direction to go as per your experience.

2. I am looking to trade spreads and option contracts using the automated systems. Can this work perfectly with tradestation automation if I perfect the code?

it might work as you plan, depending on your strategies. Backtesting is in any case a good idea as a first look on a greater amount of data. You should also involve different other types of analysis like Monte Carlo. If backtesting is successful, it does however not mean that your strategy is successful. Then you have to deal with all the other things like optimisation problems etc.

I can program and have been trading manually for 3-4 years now. I have never used tradestation but was looking to transfer. I have 2 strategies that I think have extremely high success rates. I am looking to use tradestation for backtesting and implementing these strategies. It involves SPX, SPY, GLD. I see a lot of guys here using TS.

1. Can some of you users please guide me if this is the direction to go as per your experience.

2. I am looking to trade spreads and option contracts using the automated systems. Can this work perfectly with tradestation automation if I perfect the code?

AFAIK, you can't automate option trades on TS. Atleast I have been diggin info for the same and couldn't find much. Would be happy to be proven wrong :)

Backtesting just Price based strategies is easy on Tradestation. You will be more limited by the quality of data in my opinion though especially if you are using futures.

Here is a good read, a must read "bible" for me to have moved ahead in TS design, currently working multichart 64 bit, utilizing easylanguage, Best to team up with a group and emerse yourself, Test yourself, hold passion and believe that you will be able to build algo's and release that emotional monkey on your back, Read code, think code, talk code til you dream about it. "boot camp it". My idol is Tom DeMark and build off of his theories. multichart just released a C++ version, c+ is a global and universal foundation to unlimited design. Winner 'algo's"are treasured like the federal reserve, I believe winners are built by an idea and chance thru mutation and cross referrence, Its an awesome feeling to compile your first , yet it never ends as the computations are endless, start simple and build from there. time is more valuable than capital, as time in the think tank will save the capital, "time in success out". hope this helps you.

EL_FunctionsAndReservedWords_Ref.pdf

EL_Essentials.pdf