Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

goodoboy

Trading Computer System

Hello,

I am a new trader thats been in the stock market for about 3 years. I been practicing trading stocks and more into future now.

I work full-time job and love my job and no plans to trading full-time. But I do enjoy trading /ES future on a part time basis, maybe 4 trades a week.

I wanted to buy a new computer and attached 4 screens to it for better viewing so I can reviewing my charting at night when at home to prepare for the next day or week or month. I will on be on the computer for about 3 hours a night.

Will this computer and 4 more screens work for me and my situation?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Piano-Black-Inspiron-570-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-Athlon-II-X2-250-Processor-4GB-Memory.-20-Monitor-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium/19590884

I know I need to check if the mother board supports two video cards.

Wow! 4 Monitors! Some experienced traders like Josh from option sizzle recommends not going more than 2 because it can be distracting with too many information. I kind of agree with him....

Has anyone else here have got any thoughts on the ideal number of screens?

Wow! 4 Monitors! Some experienced traders like Josh from option sizzle recommends not going more than 2 because it can be distracting with too many information. I kind of agree with him....

Has anyone else here have got any thoughts on the ideal number of screens?

I think it depends on person to person. We cannot have a "one size fit all" type of stuff in this.

I highly recommend reading Gary Smith's book "Live The Dream By Profitably Day Trading Stock Index Futures." For many years, Gary successfully day traded WITHOUT the use of a computer. He simply watched the CNBC ticker and phoned in his orders.

Technology makes it easier to follow the markets and execute orders, but does not necessarily make it easier to make money. Using four screens to trade one market four times per week seems like overkill to me. Keep it simple.

I was using a Pentium 4 computer running Windows XP Home, 4 screens, actually 5 at one point and it worked fine until my charts needed more time to refresh. I am now using a Quad Core with 4 Gb of RAM, Windows 7, it is not faster than my old Pentium but my charts have minimal lag now when I change to a different time frame. 4 screens for one instrument may not be necessary. You can split your screen to have a longer time frame chart on the top half and a shorter time frame on the lower half, expand and minimize screens as needed. Two screens would suffice (that's 4 charts), a third screen maybe for the DOM or trading dashboard. That computer from Wal-mart should be fine, you don't have to buy brand new, I prefer slightly used and save some money.

I use 4 screens because I follow four different futures, one could spend all day waiting for a trade on the ES while things could be really moving in grains, metals, energies or currencies.

Once I enter a trade, I concentrate on one futures instrument only and will not look at the other screens, maybe even turn them off. If the trade stalls, I start looking for other trades in the other screens.

Edited by raul
add more info

Depends on time frame you are trading. When I used to day trade I had four monitors, very fast internet, Ninjatrader, etc. But now I have one monitor, my charts are less cluttered and I only check/reposition my portfolio on weekends. The rest of the week I do something else like troll the newbie forums and help out.