Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Obsidian

Anti Virus - Internet Security Programs

Two IT friends have both recommended simply using the Microsoft Security Essentials.

For them this will pick up most things.

Then also ensure you have firewalls, modify passwords etc, and scan any downloaded files.

Kiwi recommended this one and I use it regularly Jotti's malware scan

Additionally you can use something that protects or records passwords such as Trusteer Rapport (This was offered by my bank otherwise I dont know where to get it) and you can apply it to various protected/trusted websites of your choosing.

I also used to have two separate computers - one for dodgy surfing, one for trading and banking etc.

I have been using Norton 360 and my subscription will be over soon, so I wanted to hear dear TL users' thoughts before renewing or picking a new one :cool:

ESET 5 - very effective, less resource overhead, sends almost all spam to Outlook junk folder.

I have been using Norton 360 and my subscription will be over soon, so I wanted to hear dear TL users' thoughts before renewing or picking a new one :cool:

I've lived in China for almost 7 years and I've used McAfee the entire time. Now our whole home network is protected by McAfee.

I've not had one single virus related issue the entire time....knock on wood.:roll eyes:

I've seen plenty of PCs go down from virus attacks here though.

Cheers,

XS

From what I've read Microsoft Security Essentials is the best AV program today for most users. Benchmarking has shown it uses lighter resources but protects well enough for most users. For most users there is no reason to pay for AV software.

We have found both McAfee and Norton to be huge resource hoggs, hard to get rid of if you want to change and short of features. The Microsoft product is probably ok for most home users but not robust enough for power users.

ESET has never let us down. Does not hog resources and is very feature robust.