Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

wshahan

I Can Help with the E-mini, Spookywill

What you say is generally true, Tom, but its also true that certain techniques CAN be replicated, with good results. And what's the point of having a trading forum if not to discuss ways to improve results...should we talk about the weather?

Sometimes (not all the time, of course), the difference between a winning trader and a losing trader is merely a small insight that unlocks the door to the aha moment and changes the entire perception of the markets...

So we keep trudging on and passing ideas onto others in hopes that someone, somewhere will get that tidbit of information that pushes them over the line, and then our conversation has not been completely in vain.

At least that's why I participate.

Luv,

Phantom

I'm with you on that.. like you I am extremely passionate about trading... and frustrated for those trying to find their way.. When I speak to new traders or they ask me for help I really can't help them too much, only in generic terms unless I sit them down in front of a screen and mentor them... which is not in my interest since I trade for a living and I am not a vendor...

I have seen so many good people come and go in this business over the years and they ran out of time and $ before they ever had a chance..they piggy-backed someone elses plan - whether good or flawed and went down with the ship...

My trading education spans many years, much frustration, huge financial investment including lost accounts, computers, software, system design, professional money mgmt, etc, etc.

You are correct on what is the point of the forum and don't why we don't just discuss the weather...

If you are who I think you are (Phantom of the Pits), I read your stuff 10 - 15 yrs ago - is that you?

I wish I could help more but I found that these forums are very limited... and can create confusion and conflict without really helping and helping is the purpose, right?

I don't want to take this off-topic and do not mean to hijack or dimenish the OP's objective..he is certianly entitled to post and I hope it goes well for him.

My concern is for what the reader and newbies hope to gain from it and that as with all these threads that they don't chase the illusive butterfly .... but stay real and folow an educational plan and not waste time with descretionary processes with a very low probability of replication... As you say: Love

ES is the easiest to trade due to the preponderence of novice traders who have no concept of risk management and risk aversion tactics.

Fixed income on the other hand (bonds and notes), populated by savvy institutional traders, is much less forgiving....

Ronnie

:doh: For heaven's sake people- just shut up and let the poster post, or not.His /her info will rise or fall on its own merit ONCE ITS POSTED. Its just a big echo chamber right now with four pages of commentary and conjecture about, well, nothing yet.

PS: Haters gonna hate, as they say. Maybe the thread starter is full of it but I "love" how the second post is already smackin him down. How's about "Thank you for taking the time to start a thread- we will wait patiently to hear wait you have to say. Until then we will peruse the 87,000 other threads here at TL".

-Brookwood

:doh: For heaven's sake people- just shut up and let the poster post, or not.His /her info will rise or fall on its own merit ONCE ITS POSTED. Its just a big echo chamber right now with four pages of commentary and conjecture about, well, nothing yet.

PS: Haters gonna hate, as they say. Maybe the thread starter is full of it but I "love" how the second post is already smackin him down. How's about "Thank you for taking the time to start a thread- we will wait patiently to hear wait you have to say. Until then we will peruse the 87,000 other threads here at TL".

-Brookwood

Assuming you might have been responding to me, if not then please disregard, I think you missed the point... it's not about OP it's about the process of alignment...

I have not criticized OP...my comments are related to the learning process and the challanges of getting distracted trying to replicate anyones descretionary process.. it is a note to newbies and those who are not yet successful.. It has nothing to do with the OP...

I hope he does bring value ...

Assuming you might have been responding to me,

~

I hope he does bring value ...

Not directed at you roztom. I think we are sympatico. It was actually directed to the "We need to see ten years of backtesting or don't bother posting" guy. I hate to see a thread drown in its own chatter before there is any substance to discuss, or get shut down by The Negative Ones. Maintaining one's thread can be a PITA, so I say let's all just kick back and offer some breathing room at the very least.

~Signing off before I start becoming part of the problem :bad idea:

-Brookwood

If you are who I think you are (Phantom of the Pits), I read your stuff 10 - 15 yrs ago - is that you?

No, Tom. I like to think that my writing style is much better than Art Simpson and POP! (LOL).

No, Tom. I like to think that my writing style is much better than Art Simpson and POP! (LOL).

LOL..Tx..I thought a true relic had shown up... Tx for the posts anyway..apprec it... :doh:

The stop was 1373, the target was the lows of 4.10 I got stopped out on copper for penny $250)loss.

I have to figure out how to share the methodology as it can't be done with out charts and more verbalization than I am willing to atempt.

I did post a thread warning not to go short the ES at 1:30 (PM, CST)when there was a small consolidation formation around 1380 which hopefully was helpful

SpookyWill

You can upload your charts to twitpic or yfrog and post a lint here

Thanks.

No matter what the OP can or cannot do is not the point.. the point is what are you doing to improve YOUR trading? Looking over a successful traders shoulder might have some value - assuming they really are successful. Other than knowing it can be done how does that help you?

It interupts my pattern and directs my attention toward a chart. Relatively quickly I see something that adds value to my models and spend a long time studying it or I move on. A random number generator would be just as effective in that respect but I will not follow it's suggestion to look at a chart because I can't convince myself that method has any value. If I believed it had value it would be just as effective for me in my process. The less reasoning and explanation for the trades the more likely I will see through my own eyes instead of someone elses. The fact generous will feels so strongly about his process it doesn't matter to me if there's an agenda I'm not seeing or if my decision to follow his trades is flawed for other reasons. The fact he posts them enhances the magical power of my subconscious to believe I will find something valuable at that spot on that chart. I see his trade via the the reasons I'm willing to trade at that spot not through his reasons.

I suggest you get back to the business of focusing on your charts, process and psycological alignment and not try to mimic something that cannot be explained on a forum like this let alone successfully in a live seminar... assuming it has any true replicable value at all..

It's difficult to stay with our own charts, particularly if we're thinking there's something better available. If somone is unhappy then looking for something else is something I highly recomend but it is extremely important to settle on something. It's not that important what it is because you will figure the rest out given enough time focusing on any one thing and make the necessary adjustments. The key there is to know what you know with the certainty that comes with having done the work yourself. Repeat that effort while trying everything you see on the forum (for an extended time period) without distraction by new ideas, eventually your focus narrows and you have a preference for the types of new ideas you want to try. Throughout that process you will be developing something of your own, whether you're aware of it or not, and when this cycle of trying new things comes to an end you will having something that fits you well. In the end, you will believe looking at a chart is the best way to increase your understanding and it will be a better use of your time than trying to add something that doesn't come directly from what you see on your own chart through your own eyes.

I personally welcome and thank Spookywill for his generous efforts and courage to post trades

that have encouraged the outstanding thoughts and ideas being shared here on Spookywill's thread.

Ignore the naysayers. Post what you want. If there's any validity to your methodology it should become quickly apparent. I'm sure you've quickly found out there are people that come here just to stir the turds and are offering nothing of value themselves.

"if you want to help me to develop as a trader then please give me a fuller incentive because I'm much too busy to investigate pieces when I don't know if the whole has value". I'm not lazy, I hope, but as I said before, there is a hell of a lot of information on this site. Traders need some sort of screening process to decide what they can investigate further. This screening process does not have to be backtest results - if William Eckhart started posting here he'd have my attention without any backtest results.

If your objective is to code algo robots you will not succeed in backtesting or reverse engineering a method to compete with these bots until you look at your chart, clear your mind of thoughts about backtesting, and study the bots on your chart within the framework of whatever technicals helps you see bots.

During price shocks the entire order book near current price is wiped clean. Relatively few traders are willing to replenish orders within range of a severe shock, but best of best bots are there adding new liquidity. Similar bots controled by same s'ist of sm roam the fringes and beyond. There is no significance to my mention of order book, liquidity, price shock, range, fringe and beyond within this paragraph. Looking there is missing the point.

My point is simply if you look for bots you will find bots. If you don't find bots within the constraints of your technicals you will figure out ways to adjust your technicals in the directions where you think you might have seen bots. If you're not spending all your time looking for bots and don't understand the obvious bots active within your own charts you won't succeed in coding bots even if you find a fully disclosed open source bot in a book, on a website or anywhere else bots don't exist because no one trades bots that don't work and soon as new bots become active other bots adjust or they're gone.

SunTrader, thank you for your comment. I can appreciate and understand what your saying and that it's important to you to stay loyal to what has been working for you but I have my own process which I must remain loyal to and part of that process includes the creation of nlp anchors around important events so I am able to recall these valuable memories with vivid detail.

Backtesting, bots, automated strategies, these items are very similar to one another and it's probable I read something one of our brothers said on another topic about how sitting through a several month drawdown can be necessary if it's within what's considered normal based on backtesting for that particular strat. Sometimes it's not possible to provide helpful information to someone at the time their asking and within the confines of the thread in which it's first mentioned but it's important these brothers get the correct information and I assure you there is someone that can benefit by what I've said and I do not have any agenda so please accept my apology if it seemed like I was talking to adolessents from your point of view.

SunTrader, thank you for your comment..
NLP receiptor must be out of whack because here ya go boys and girls was in reference to the thread authors one and only post (edit: actually two). Nothing you or anyone else said. If what has been provided so far is good enough for you, thumbs up. But I like to read a book to the end and then draw my conclusions.

ES is the easiest to trade due to the preponderence of novice traders who have no concept of risk management and risk aversion tactics.

Hi Ronnie,

I agree in principle to the first part of your sentence, but would modify it to something like "ES is easy to trade for some".

However, I disagree with the second part of the sentence... the reason you mention. I don't think that novice traders have a big influence in a futures market with an average daily volume of > $100bn.

Just my :2c:;)

Regards,

k

Ignore the naysayers. Post what you want. If there's any validity to your methodology it should become quickly apparent. I'm sure you've quickly found out there are people that come here just to stir the turds and are offering nothing of value themselves.

Asking for extensive fx proofs of prior performance looks like an invasion of privacy. Some individuals never discuss personal finances with strangers. I'm pretty satisfied with Wshahan affirmation of 3.5% growth and don't need any more proof. Looking forward to learning more on new elements of technical analysis.

Many comments by others and Wahshan has not evern posted any charts or methodology what the setup is like? may be he is spooked by the -ve comments bu others ... Pl give the guy a chance to explain his setups. Some charts will help to see what he looks for in ES..

Pat