Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Xiao si

Learning Easy Language

Can anybody point me to some good books or courses for EL that i can do remotely?

EasyLanguage is really easy.

If you have read the manuals, and tried the examples, you are pretty well set to go.

I learned by studing the built-in code and stuff I found on the net. Take it apart and put it back together. If you get stuck google for a solution or post questions.

This is also how I learnt/am learning. Hands on is much easier than trying to learn things from a manual (exactly like a spoken language in fact). If you discover something in EasyLanguage whilst trying to overcome a trading problem that matters to you, then you are much more likely to remember it.

The other thing that I have relied on heavily is the dictionary in the EL development environment. Oh, and if all else fails, ask Tams or Onesmith who always seem to have the answers!

Can anybody point me to some good books or courses for EL that i can do remotely?

You could start with Tradestation's own material

Books | School of EasyLanguage | TradeStation University

Some is free - some is not.

Then there are various links on the web which will start you off:

Free Tutorials for EasyLanguage Services for TradeStation

EasyLanguage Tutorials

Just google "Easylanguage Examples"

Lots of great stuff here folks,thanks! FWIW i've got Sunny Harris's book that i'm working my way through, the examples are kind of handy but I've got to wade through the complete novice stuff about TS to get to the EL stuff, no worries though.I'm also working my way through MultiCharts manual.

Cheers,

XS

Lots of great stuff here folks,thanks! FWIW i've got Sunny Harris's book that i'm working my way through, the examples are kind of handy but I've got to wade through the complete novice stuff about TS to get to the EL stuff, no worries though.I'm also working my way through MultiCharts manual.

Cheers,

XS

I would go with the TS freebies first.

Not that Sunny's book is not good,

but I think it is unnecessary. TS has been in business for over 20 yrs, they have answered more customer questions on EasyLanguage than all the other vendors combined. Don't you think they have learned a thing or two about teaching their customer? Their free manuals are the result of years of training and teaching, you don't get anything more precis and to the point than these books. Their examples are selected because that's what most users call in to ask. If you have gone through their examples once, you can write very sophisticated indicators without any hand holding. But learning EL is like learning trading, people like to pay for a course, buy books, etc., instead of putting in some sweat with the free stuff.

Can someone help me with this code...i've copied it from an old book on TS. I think it was before they changed the syntaz a bit....it will not compile and i'm stuffed if i know why...:crap:

If Open of next bar > high of this

bar or open of next bar < low of

this bar then buy next bar at

close of this bar + range

of the bar on stop;

if open of next bar < low of this bar

or open of next bar > high of this bar then

sell next bar at close of this bar - Range

of this bar stop;

You are only permitted to look at next bar open in a strategy. The buy and sell statements refer to this bars close and this bars range. The conditional requirements for both of the stop orders were the same so I condensed them.

if open[-1]>H or open[-1]<L then begin
   buy next bar c+range stop;
   sell next bar c-range stop; 
end;

You are only permitted to look at next bar open in a strategy. The buy and sell statements refer to this bars close and this bars range. The conditional requirements for both of the stop orders were the same so I condensed them.

if open[-1]>H or open[-1]<L then begin
   buy next bar c+range stop;
   sell next bar c-range stop; 
end;

this came out of an old TS book, word for word, when did this change onesmith?

Also, the -1 refers to next bar as 1 or +1 refers to bars back?

Thanks heaps,

XS

You made a typing error in the 5th line where you used "the" instead of "this". You could of debugged this by commenting out the entire first paragraph. The second paragraph verifies correctly so it gives you a model you can compare against the first paragraph.

[-1] is the same as next bar.

I got this from the MC forum....FYI

If Open of next bar > high of this bar or

open of next bar < low of this bar then

buy next bar at close + range stop;

if open of next bar < low of this bar or

open of next bar > high of this bar then

sellshort next bar at close - Range stop;

sell next bar at market;

buytocover next bar at market;

I suspect that I'll come across more issues with the old code while working my way through the book. The book is here

Its pretty handy actually, goes through the whole process and you get some EL practice as well. Its just a bit outdated....i tried to find a more recent version to no avail.

Cheers,

CanOz

I got this from the MC forum....FYI

If Open of next bar > high of this bar or

open of next bar < low of this bar then

buy next bar at close + range stop;

if open of next bar < low of this bar or

open of next bar > high of this bar then

sellshort next bar at close - Range stop;

sell next bar at market;

buytocover next bar at market;

I suspect that I'll come across more issues with the old code while working my way through the book. The book is here

Its pretty handy actually, goes through the whole process and you get some EL practice as well. Its just a bit outdated....i tried to find a more recent version to no avail.

Cheers,

CanOz

you should learn to use the code tag

Hello,

In your other thread you have been discussing the importance of look-inside-bar resolution in backtesting. The following code should (hopefully!) be an adaptation of the above code for implementation on a lower timeframe (eg 5 min) chart, where it is assumed that you're wanting to trade data points from a daily chart (which I imagine was the intention of the original author as you say it has come from an old book and few people constructed intra-day strategies way back when):

If (opend(0)>highd(1) or opend(0)<lowd(1)) then
Buy next bar at closed(1)+(highd(1)-lowd(1)) stop;

If (opend(0)<lowd(1) or opend(0)>highd(1)) then
Sell next bar at closed(1)-(highd(1)-lowd(1)) stop;

I haven't actually checked this, so hopefully it works! You might want to experiment with adding a condition that limits the number of trades to one per day. You may also want to give some thought to how the strategy should deal with an open that, for instance, is greater than the prior close+prior range, and could therefore trigger your stop way above the desired entry.

Bluehorseshoe

what code tag? do you mean commenting?

After you've typed your code out in the reply box, select it and then hit the ' # ' symbol on the kitchen sink above - this will put the code in a box in a courier style font, and keep Tams happy.

Also, if you select your code and then use the symbol that looks like a flashing dollar sign, this will cause TL to forward your code to the guys at RenTech, who will give it a good look over and then send it back to you with suggestions for modifications and improvements, along with a complimentary example of some of their own strategies. Or maybe that was just a lovely dream that I had . . . :)

Bluehorseshoe

Also, if you select your code and then use the symbol that looks like a flashing dollar sign, this will cause TL to forward your code to the guys at RenTech, who will give it a good look over and then send it back to you with suggestions for modifications and improvements, along with a complimentary example of some of their own strategies. Or maybe that was just a lovely dream that I had . . . :)

Bluehorseshoe

LOL @ BH....

I'm trying to write a show me study to plot the high and low of the opening bar. Sort of a way to define the opening range on the chart. I'm stuffed if i can get my right sided brain around it!

In simple terms i want to plot the high of the first bar of the day regardless of wether or not its 15, 30 or 60 minute chart...

Any help with this simple little plot?

Cheers,

XS

how far have you got on the sunny book?

Just got back to it today....stopped to read "Unholy Grails"...by Nick Radge...you read it yet?

I'm a right brain guy and the coding really does my head in. I struggle to stay focused on one thing for any period of time....so its a real bitch learning any kind of language, including Mandarin...and EL.:crap:

XS

Just got back to it today....stopped to read "Unholy Grails"...by Nick Radge...you read it yet?

I'm a right brain guy and the coding really does my head in. I struggle to stay focused on one thing for any period of time....so its a real bitch learning any kind of language, including Mandarin...and EL.:crap:

XS

You would do much better if you had started with TradeStation's EL Essentials.

Concise, to the point, with relevant examples.

I lived in SH for 6 months, I know what you mean about Mandarin.

Believe me, EL is a lot easier.

XS

No, I have not read Radge. Not interested.

Tams, I am curious why you are not interested in reading Radge's Unholy Grail. Thanks in advance for your insights.

I have to admit ignorance... I am not familiar with what he's teaching. I am self-sufficient; I do not have an immediate need for whatever he is offering. Maybe those who has read his book can start a thread on him and his teachings, so that we can all be enlightened. Maybe I would even go buy a book just so that I can keep up with the discussion.

I have to admit ignorance... I am not familiar with what he's teaching. I am self-sufficient; I do not have an immediate need for whatever he is offering. Maybe those who has read his book can start a thread on him and his teachings, so that we can all be enlightened. Maybe I would even go buy a book just so that I can keep up with the discussion.

Fair enough too, you seem beyond the need for enlightenment regarding the benefit of systematic trading anyway.

Perhaps I'll find a thread on books a do a quick review there for those that may benefit from such a publication.

Cheers,

XS