Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

pipbanker

Do You Want Your Learning Curve to Look Like This?

Do you want your learning curve to look like this?

What do you think you need to change in your trading to make your curve go up?

attachment.php?attachmentid=28023&stc=1&d=1331954165

And another question: if you know what you need to change can you do it?

pipbanker_trading.png.9f8970edcc735e88de9e743850c45f53.png

Edited by pipbanker

Hi,

Maybe you meant "profit/loss curve" or "performance curve" because learning curve is something different. Simply, just because a trader has "learned" a trade method does not imply that trader can "apply" that trade method consistently successful in real-trading (with real money).

Hi,

Maybe you meant "profit/loss curve" or "performance curve" because learning curve is something different. Simply, just because a trader has "learned" a trade method does not imply that trader can "apply" that trade method consistently successful in real-trading (with real money).

+

Also, is this 32 trades, seconds, minutes, years, etc? The first thing you learn in high school is to label the axes. :)

When I check the performance of a strategy, first 2 things I focus before inspecting further:

-trading duration

-maximum drawdown

I would trust a strategy which made 50% profit (10% DD) over 3years more than a strategy which made 5% (30% DD) in 3 months...

Hi,

thanks for your reply. However, that was exactly what I meant ;) A learning curve similar to profitable curve on this graph is the key here. Alexandr Elder said in his book, "if a therapy does not bring any results you have to change the therapist". I am not fan of his trading style and I would disagree with his technical trading, but here I can't find any better words.

If your trading approach is not giving you results in a sustainable period you have to change your approach. If you keep doing same thing how can result be different?

Would not you like to learn and make some pips at the same time? I think that is the best combination of learning trading and getting closer to where you want to be.

may all pips fall on you ;)

When I check the performance of a strategy, first 2 things I focus before inspecting further:

-trading duration

-maximum drawdown

I would trust a strategy which made 50% profit (10% DD) over 3years more than a strategy which made 5% (30% DD) in 3 months...

I agree, those factors are among the most important to pay attention.

There are also psychological factors that cant be measured as easily.

+

Also, is this 32 trades, seconds, minutes, years, etc? The first thing you learn in high school is to label the axes. :)

Absolutely correct, you learn proper labeling of axes in high school. However, if you are a little above that level and not absolute beginner using MT4 then you know how reports are generated in mt4 and what those numbers mean. Moreover, you know that you cannot edit the numbers, the curve and cannot label anything unlike putting numbers in excel and creating your own curve ;)

And when you know these basics the rest is self explanatory.

If you want to learn basic of mt4 come and join me, I will be more then happy to help you.

cheers

If you want to learn basic of mt4 come and join me, I will be more then happy to help you.

MT4 ... someone needs help learning the most basic, underpowered, antiquated trading/charting software available? MT4 is newbie bait, which is why so many snake oil vendors advertise with it.