Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

mitsubishi

Beyond Taylor

Here is a concept I find useful. I put an 89 period simple moving average on a 5 minute chart. As long as price action is below the MA I look for shorting opportunities...Taylor...scalping...etc. When it is above I Iook for long opportunities..Taylor...scalping etc. This doesn't mean I won't go long or short unless it is above or below. If price action warrants it I will go long even if it is below the 89 SMA. However, I will especially focus for long/short opportunities depending on whether price is above the 89 SMA or below. I also put a 20 period EMA on the 5 min chart to be used with sorting out the best scalping opportunities. I put no other indicators on my 5 minute chart. Just the chart, the two moving averages, and volume. Nothing else. I also like to see the 20 EMA above the 89 SMA for long. Opposite for short.

Throw an 89 period simple moving average on todays price action on a 5 minute chart of the ES and you will see what I am talking about. I do look for patterns..flags..triangles..pennants...double top/bottoms..resistance/support ...trend lines..channels..that sort of thing mostly for scalping but also to help me confirm probable stopping points for Taylor trading...etc.

In addition, I have my own software that calculates the cycles for Taylor Trading and that gives me a view to the larger potential move of the day. The software also gives me several potential high and lows for the next session. I then fine tune that view with actual tape reading via charts and chart patterns. That is the way I trade.

Edited by WHY?

Here is a concept I find useful. I put an 89 period simple moving average on a 5 minute chart. As long as price action is below the MA I look for shorting opportunities...Taylor...scalping...etc. When it is above I Iook for long opportunities..Taylor...scalping etc. This doesn't mean I won't go long or short unless it is above or below. If price action warrants it I will go long even if it is below the 89 SMA. However, I will especially focus for long/short opportunities depending on whether price is above the 89 SMA or below. I also put a 20 period EMA on the 5 min chart to be used with sorting out the best scalping opportunities. I put no other indicators on my 5 minute chart. Just the chart, the two moving averages, and volume. Nothing else. I also like to see the 20 EMA above the 89 SMA for long. Opposite for short.

Throw an 89 period simple moving average on todays price action on a 5 minute chart of the ES and you will see what I am talking about. I do look for patterns..flags..triangles..pennants...double top/bottoms..resistance/support ...trend lines..channels..that sort of thing mostly for scalping but also to help me confirm probable stopping points for Taylor trading...etc.

In addition, I have my own software that calculates the cycles for Taylor Trading and that gives me a view to the larger potential move of the day. The software also gives me several potential high and lows for the next session. I then fine tune that view with actual tape reading via charts and chart patterns. That is the way I trade.

That is awful lot of stuff compared to me.I always find it odd that people say they don't use much but that is quite a list.I have found that every single piece of information used will make the trading decisions more complex.For me, i only need the SPX chart i don't think i've ever posted a chart that had anything on it except price.Ignore everything on the gann thread,nothing there is used in my trading.

Why an 89 ma ? is it because it's a fib? Why is it there if you are going to ignore it which you say you will sometimes? "if price action warrants it" then you only need price action.

I know i'm on dangerous ground here because traders in general get very defensive about what it is they use,why they use it and how they use it (but leaving out the "holy grail" parts).

You left out one element and that is instinct/intuition.I think you probably been trading long enough that you,by default,through screen time served,have got,but you give it such low priority that it's not mentioned at all.And when i say instinct/intuition i mean the the thing that tells you.yes my pre-market analysis is correct/wrong and what i'm seeing confirms it.You then don't find yourself looking for more confirmation such as,wait a minute is that ma in the right place? is that a flag or h'n's ?.If it's not on my chart it's not going to complicate the issue.

I'm expecting a pretty robust defence from you on this but sometimes i wish i could take half a dozen experienced traders like you put them in a trading room take all that stuff off the chart and let them use their years of experience just trading price action (for want of a better term).I think they would do really well and i would be the least surprised person in the room.:2c:

That is awful lot of stuff compared to me.I always find it odd that people say they don't use much but that is quite a list.I have found that every single piece of information used will make the trading decisions more complex.For me, i only need the SPX chart i don't think i've ever posted a chart that had anything on it except price.Ignore everything on the gann thread,nothing there is used in my trading.

Why an 89 ma ? is it because it's a fib? Why is it there if you are going to ignore it which you say you will sometimes? "if price action warrants it" then you only need price action.

I know i'm on dangerous ground here because traders in general get very defensive about what it is they use,why they use it and how they use it (but leaving out the "holy grail" parts).

You left out one element and that is instinct/intuition.I think you probably been trading long enough that you,by default,through screen time served,have got,but you give it such low priority that it's not mentioned at all.And when i say instinct/intuition i mean the the thing that tells you.yes my pre-market analysis is correct/wrong and what i'm seeing confirms it.You then don't find yourself looking for more confirmation such as,wait a minute is that ma in the right place? is that a flag or h'n's ?.If it's not on my chart it's not going to complicate the issue.

I'm expecting a pretty robust defence from you on this but sometimes i wish i could take half a dozen experienced traders like you put them in a trading room take all that stuff off the chart and let them use their years of experience just trading price action (for want of a better term).I think they would do really well and i would be the least surprised person in the room.:2c:

I think you may have read more into my post than I meant. My EOD with my software is simple. It simply gives me a few potential numbers and a view on the Taylor cycle (pre market stuff). My daily chart for trading is a 5 minute chart with volume and 2 moving averages. As to why an 89 moving average. Look at the last 1.5 hours of trading in the ES and I think it will be obvious. Look at it yesterday why I had a loss yesterday (yes.. every now and then I get bored and will take a gamble..who doesn't??). Why would I ignore it? Well to take a gamble if I feel like gambling. Next, for example, at times PA will indicate a good long scalp but the overall trend is down. If it is under the 89 SMA then I know it may not be best to follow that long scalp too far.

I am more or less just using TTT and always looking for usefull add-ons.That said I found little of use for my trading.I mainly go long for up to 3 or 4 days if the market allows that and usually dont short,caught my biggest losses with that so I leave it for the pros;) Just like WHY? I catch the bug every now and then and test the sea which ends up sometimes with small losses.

I think you may have read more into my post than I meant. My EOD with my software is simple. It simply gives me a few potential numbers and a view on the Taylor cycle (pre market stuff). My daily chart for trading is a 5 minute chart with volume and 2 moving averages. As to why an 89 moving average. Look at the last 1.5 hours of trading in the ES and I think it will be obvious. Look at it yesterday why I had a loss yesterday (yes.. every now and then I get bored and will take a gamble..who doesn't??). Why would I ignore it? Well to take a gamble if I feel like gambling. Next, for example, at times PA will indicate a good long scalp but the overall trend is down. If it is under the 89 SMA then I know it may not be best to follow that long scalp too far.

Ok i think i know how this is all going to end up with where we are on certain things.I don't ever gamble because i am bored.To me that is completely unprofessional and would be the complete antithesis to what a trader,a professional trader is meant to be engaged in.Suppose the discussion was "is trading gambling?" a question asked many times on forums such as these.I am guessing that you would be defending the trade against the accusation that it is merely gambling,am i correct?

When you come here and post useful food for thought on Taylor i don't hesitate to add my thanks for this useful post. When you got the balls to post a live trade stating the reasons and executing the entry/exit as planned i don't hesitate to give you the kudos and respect that it deserves. In both cases i did that.If that is right,then it is also right for me ( or anyone here) to say what they think on what you post here.You posted these statements so you invite comment.

Personally i'm not going to put an 89 ma on my chart or any other ma to see if it is giving you some kind of edge.I reached my conclusions regarding all that kind of stuff long ago.In any case,in order to evaluate it's merit i'd have to do a lot of testing.I've no doubt at all there will be some readers here who will check it out.Well that's partly what forums are for- inspiration.

Try not to see this as a personal attack,but if i found myself putting on trades out of boredom i would see that as a weakness and a potential threat to my account and would be looking to eliminate it from my trading,not shrugging my shoulders and saying,ah well i'm only human.

None of this infers that i am perfect and don't do things i shouldn't,it's a constant self monitoring process,trading...but gambling,personally no.Just answering the question you asked.

OK Mitt,

That got you going there. Technically you are correct. But I suspect we all gamble..some....like when you get in your car..eat breakfast. Life is a risk...a gamble..so to speak. Don't walk down the stairs you could fall down and break a leg. Any gamble can be controlled. Perhaps you are defining gamble differently? In the markets I see it as taking on more risk than you normally would. Of course trading built upon that would not be good....but a little here and there...well occasionally it does pay off....I see no hurt in it if it is controlled and one can afford it. But that is me. As long as I know my limits. You are free to put anything or your charts you like. If you don't like anything there but price then that is great. I use price action as tool but I don't worship it. I have had so many disagreements with PA people that say never look at volume..just price action. That is all you need! Well, price action can be read wrong. Right? Therefore anything that helps me read it right then I will add it. For trading without taking volume into the context IS REAL gambling. But again that is me. :)

Edited by WHY?

I usually don't post charts on forums but I might post a few with some explanations. Can anyone instruct as to how to go about attaching a chart to a post. I am not very bright. Need step by step instructions. Thanks!

Ok i think i know how this is all going to end up with where we are on certain things.I don't ever gamble because i am bored.To me that is completely unprofessional and would be the complete antithesis to what a trader,a professional trader is meant to be engaged in.

Maybe it's two completely seperate things? A bit like a professional firefighter who likes to go out on an evening and commit a bit of arson? There's a thrill with gambling, and it's a completely different thrill from that associated with profitable and professional trading. I don't see why someone can't enjoy both.

I regularly take a 'gamble' on the ES in addition to my actual trading - I just do it on paper rather than with real money. Sometimes I try and pick major market tops and scale in with hundreds of contracts like a multi-billion dollar fund . . . It's great fun, and it provides an outlet for the egotistical part of me that thinks that I can predict the markets - this outlet probably helps to ensure that my actual trading remains totally mechanical. Incidentally, although I note the outcome of each individual paper-trade gamble, I never bother to track my overall results because I know the outcome must be far from profitable!

Just an opinion though.

I usually don't post charts on forums but I might post a few with some explanations. Can anyone instruct as to how to go about attaching a chart to a post. I am not very bright. Need step by step instructions. Thanks!

Click on “post reply” which is a black button at the bottom left of your post. Than scroll down to “manage attachment” cell click on it, a new window will open click on “browse” cell this will take you to your computer find what you need than in the same window click on “upload” once you uploaded your chart click on “submit reply” (make sure it is the bottom “submit reply cell and not the top, there are 2 of them)

A bit like a professional firefighter who likes to go out on an evening and commit a bit of arson?

Never thought of it like that,might put me in perspective next time I feel like...I can see my room for improvement of work-ethics:)

OK Mitt,

That got you going there. Technically you are correct. But I suspect we all gamble..some....like when you get in your car..eat breakfast. Life is a risk...a gamble..so to speak. Don't walk down the stairs you could fall down and break a leg. Any gamble can be controlled. Perhaps you are defining gamble differently? In the markets I see it as taking on more risk than you normally would. Of course trading built upon that would not be good....but a little here and there...well occasionally it does pay off....I see no hurt in it if it is controlled and one can afford it. But that is me. As long as I know my limits. You are free to put anything or your charts you like. If you don't like anything there but price then that is great. I use price action as tool but I don't worship it. I have had so many disagreements with PA people that say never look at volume..just price action. That is all you need! Well, price action can be read wrong. Right? Therefore anything that helps me read it right then I will add it. For trading without taking volume into the context IS REAL gambling. But again that is me. :)

Well my fear that it would it would escalate into a big argument was unfounded,so i'm glad about that.Not much point in a forum if you feel you have to bite your tongue all the time.

If you could bring any insight on volume here then please do as that is one area i have not had much success in deciphering beyond the basics.It's a real skill in life to see the other side of an argument to your own,something that i try to work on.So maybe you could understand that if you are used to having nothing on the chart to suddenly see 3 other things on there would feel like a bit of a culture shock,same as it would be if a trader took a bunch of things off that he is used to having there.

But still,i am curious,if there was some kind of challenge/experiment where you had to trade with just price,and let us allow volume as well,but not have a single other thing on there for a week,what do you think the results would be in your performance? In a way you could view it as a kind of gamble..

Honestly Mitt,

Does this screen look complicated? This is what I trade with. I visually watch for trendlines, channels, flags, triangles....etc. Occasionally, I may draw one but most of the time I just rely on seeing it with my eyes. My chart I keep very uncluttered. At least I think I do compared to other traders. Some traders look at two or three screens, or more, and it looks like they are flying a 757. I actually thought mine was/is pretty simpified?? Most of the time I am trading on a small netbook. Don't even need a big screen.

As far as Gann, Williams, Droke, Arms, Rollo Tape, Taylor, Brooks, Livermore, I don't mean I trade like them, I just mean I find some of their concepts important to my style of trading and have incorporated the ideas into my "cosmos" of trading. I don't use VSA per se but I do incorprate some of the concepts VSA deals with. I generally don't use equivolume (ARMS) but I think highly of some of his thinking on volume. I hardly use anything from Gann. I use alot from Taylor for the longer trend of the day. I use alot from Brooks for scalping. These concepts are in my thoughts not stuff I have on my screen. I am always asking "what" did price do on this bar and "why" did it do what it did, and "how" did it do it, and in what context did it take place i.e. what preceeded it?

5aa710e2875c7_ESJuneContract3-27-2012.jpg.aad0c550fcb208c251cca3f0a2e323e4.jpg

Edited by WHY?

Click on “post reply” which is a black button at the bottom left of your post. Than scroll down to “manage attachment” cell click on it, a new window will open click on “browse” cell this will take you to your computer find what you need than in the same window click on “upload” once you uploaded your chart click on “submit reply” (make sure it is the bottom “submit reply cell and not the top, there are 2 of them)
Thanks! It worked like you said. I told you I need step by step instructions!

WHY

your chart does not look complicated.And compared to most it's pretty simple.You say you're visualizing a lot of stuff like patterns channels and trend lines which i guess at some time you must have had on your chart and you removed them.So we're not too far apart,i started with less in the first place and don't bother visualizing what was removed.

I use a system i call the 3 W's- What just happened? Who is in control? and What is the price objective?.Put those questions in the context of the main trend and you pretty much have it.

I can't think what else i would need to answer those questions other than to read the chart.It is possible volume could play a part,i have never ruled it out.But things like a trend line or a moving average,pattern etc won't answer those questions for me.

But of course,it is not what you use it is how you use it.Trouble is for me,a lot of what i see others using appears flawed from the outset.

There are no price levels on your chart so i drew my lines in what looks like the right areas to me

5aa710e28d86e_ESJuneContract3-27-2012.jpg.7a1ceac9759e654761376f50e2cd5125.jpg

There is nothing magical about an 89 SMA. It is a fib number. It just works out to being a little longer than the 50 which alot of traders tend to watch. Basically, it is there on my chart to help me see the intermediate trend for the day. Usually PA will trade for quite some time above it or below it during which several support/resistance levels will be tested and various patterns formed. In short, it just helps me better see the long and short issue of day. To see this just look at PA for 3-26 and for 3-27. On 3-26 I took a bigger risk than I normally would (again just bored with the listless day) and went short when PA was above the 89 SMA. Shortly, thereafter I was out with a small loss (pun intended)! Nearly, the entire trading session overnight and day was above the 89 SMA hinting that the intermediate trend for the day was up and that it just might be good for taking the long side and avoiding countertrend trades, or at least not stay in them long if I did decided to take them.

5aa710e293f45_ES3-26-2012.jpg.f5aff8c918887815b1010377923086af.jpg

Edited by WHY?

It is quite amazing to me that i look at that chart just posted and your MA's are completely invisible to me until i look for them. Is that my own obstinacy or is it some other reason?The other interesting things are:

Since there was no price on the chart i let the chart itself draw the lines...kind of.You can say well,hindsight is 20/20,but i'll be pretty suprised if they are not reacting to previous price levels off the left of the chart.

Having drawn those lines there does not appear to be one single bullish bar that breaks them

With pretty obvious conclusions

There is nothing magical about an 89 SMA. It is a fib number. It just works out to being a little longer than the 50 which alot of traders tend to watch. Basically, it is there on my chart to help me see the intermediate trend for the day. Usually PA will trade for quite some time above it or below it during which several support/resistance levels will be tested and various patterns formed. In short, it just helps me better see the long and short issue of day. To see this just look at PA for 3-26 and for 3-27. On 3-26 I took a bigger risk than I normally would (again just bored with the listless day) and went short when PA was above the 89 SMA. Shortly, thereafter I was out with a small loss (pun intended)! Nearly, the entire trading session overnight and day was above the 89 SMA hinting that the intermedite trend for the day was up and that it just might be good for taking the long side and avoiding countertrend trades, or at least not stay in them long if you did decide to take them.

There's my problem i want it to be magical and..it's not so i could pick a number out of a hat say 79 and, since it is a "little longer" than a 50ma,i'll give it some weight in my considerations.You gotta be kidding me. You were bored so you took a bigger risk,i can't get my head around that.Imagine a hedge fund manager saying that.But then we got some crazy gamblers in the financial industry so you might fit well there.

The clue to overnight action was how many points the futures were up and the price objective they hit.89/79- totally irrelevant The fact that the cash market did not reach that objective means a test of a lower price level.Rather than be bored and throw on a trade for the hell of it,i'm looking for a long trade.That's my read on it

WHY

Can you explain to me the thinking behind your channel lines? Maybe it's just me and everyone is having a good old laugh at mitsubishi who can't grasp trading 101 and so has abandoned all attempts at it.

How does the market know it's supposed to stay in that channel.Lets take it to an absurd level just to make the point.Instead of taking a gamble outta boredom,you decided to get drunk instead,and you drew your lines in a different place,would you be just as happy if you got a winning trade that way?,i'm guessing no... but who knows?.the way it's going.

What i'm getting at here is there is no edge in that channel you drew- zero.It was near this MA also...yeah,so? You saw me draw lines without even price on the chart and the key point,the principle is...the market decides where the lines are drawn.I'm just hoping there's going to be one guy out there who sees a light bulb coming on.

In short,the market doesn't give a damn about your channel,or your MA's your trend lines your pivot points your 500 breadth indicators oscillators....whatever.The market draws the lines period.Otherwise you go on plotting any lines you can dream up and A expect the market to obey them and B back them with your money.

I'm done with this off topic conversation

WHY

Can you explain to me the thinking behind your channel lines? Maybe it's just me and everyone is having a good old laugh at mitsubishi who can't grasp trading 101 and so has abandoned all attempts at it.

How does the market know it's supposed to stay in that channel.Lets take it to an absurd level just to make the point.Instead of taking a gamble outta boredom,you decided to get drunk instead,and you drew your lines in a different place,would you be just as happy if you got a winning trade that way?,i'm guessing no... but who knows?.the way it's going.

What i'm getting at here is there is no edge in that channel you drew- zero.It was near this MA also...yeah,so? You saw me draw lines without even price on the chart and the key point,the principle is...the market decides where the lines are drawn.I'm just hoping there's going to be one guy out there who sees a light bulb coming on.

In short,the market doesn't give a damn about your channel,or your MA's your trend lines your pivot points your 500 breadth indicators oscillators....whatever.The market draws the lines period.Otherwise you go on plotting any lines you can dream up and A expect the market to obey them and B back them with your money.

I'm done with this off topic conversation

The market doesn't obey any lines anyone draws. Not your lines, nor mine. Not resistance or support lines. They are just lines on a chart. They really mean nothing. The market is going to do whatever it is going to do regardless of my lines, or your lines, or this pattern, or that pattern. That I said, I use the lines to help me visualize what the market has done. Period. What it has done it has a tendency to keep doing. The MA help me see the trend better. Maybe you don't need them. I could do without them but it makes things clearer to me. That is all. Not sure I understand why you get so angry over two moving averages on a chart. And over a little tiny gamble. As far as the gamble well I guess it's my money. If I want to take a gamble I can. Why does that concept upset you so? As far as the channel all it as telling me was that the short-term trend was slightly down with tight ranges. It could have just as easy broke south as north. I just decided to short. Period. Nothing else. Good grief why am I catching so much grief telling about a loss? It is getting a bit ridiculous IMO. I am sorry Mitt if my small gamble and my 2 moving averages upset you so. Maybe you fear for the new traders reading these posts? So, to all new traders out there do not use moving averages and patterns in your trading and by all means take no gambles. Use nothing but price on your chart. Actually, learn to trade off the DOM and you won't even need a price chart! You might be better off to buy CD's with your cash but as the dollar is going that in itself could be a gamble.

Damn,where were these guys all the time i was learning how to trade?,such a waste of time USP- your money back.Guess you'd better read the small print on that offer

How does this targeted advertising work now? if i type in lagging indicator we get this.What happens if i type in snake oil..:shrug:.lets see.

5aa710e2b54af_snakeoil.png.1d604041f28a93e2e1579ef7afc370ac.png

The market doesn't obey any lines anyone draws. Not your lines, nor mine. Not resistance or support lines. They are just lines on a chart. They really mean nothing. The market is going to do whatever it is going to do regardless of my lines, or your lines, or this pattern, or that pattern. That I said, I use the lines to help me visualize what the market has done. Period. What it has done it has a tendency to keep doing. The MA help me see the trend better. Maybe you don't need them. I could do without them but it makes things clearer to me. That is all. Not sure I understand why you get so angry over two moving averages on a chart. And over a little tiny gamble. As far as the gamble well I guess it's my money. If I want to take a gamble I can. Why does that concept upset you so? As far as the channel all it as telling me was that the short-term trend was slightly down with tight ranges. It could have just as easy broke south as north. I just decided to short. Period. Nothing else. Good grief why am I catching so much grief telling about a loss? It is getting a bit ridiculous IMO. I am sorry Mitt if my small gamble and my 2 moving averages upset you so. Maybe you fear for the new traders reading these posts? So, to all new traders out there do not use moving averages and patterns in your trading and by all means take no gambles. Use nothing but price on your chart. Actually, learn to trade off the DOM and you won't even need a price chart! You might be better off to buy CD's with your cash but as the dollar is going that in itself could be a gamble.

I'm not angry at all.But it's clear i am wasting my time with this..It's not my intention to preach to you or anyone.I guess i'm a little disappointed if i am really honest because (sounds patronizing i know) i think you'd be better off without this stuff and you say as much yourself and yet you're clinging on to it-just my perception.

First you tell me there is nothing much on your chart after mentioning in a previous post all kinds of stuff.You then post a chart with 2 ma's and some volume.Fair enough.i don't get the ma's because they lag ,volume is one thing i can't say i never use,it's occasionally useful.But then you post a 2nd chart with a channel on it.To me this verges on semi delusional not just the channel itself but the fact it wasn't on your first chart.So this chart needs a channel but another chart doesn't,,,because ..i don't know.So,as long as you don't have everything you ever use on any one chart,at any one time you're not using much compared to most traders charts.... do i got that right? It's the skill of the trader to know which of the 57 tools in his armory he needs to deploy at any one time..am i still on message? And then when you can't decide which of the 57 tools is right today,(in a "listless market") you close your eyes drag the first one to hand and then have a gamble because you're bored. do i got that part right? I do some gardening or polish the car at such times,or post on here maybe.What does this all have to do with Taylor?..it's a million miles away.But i think i've said more than enough on this.You can have the last word.Then can we get back to Taylor?

BTW while you're having the last word,could you clear up the contradictions highlighted ? Presumably ,within your market philosophy,if there is such a thing as a bull market,it happens randomly with no intention behind it,no matter how much money gets pumped in by the main players...do i got that part right,the market is random therefore i may as well gamble?

The ma's do not help you see the trend it's delusional.I see the trend with no ma's,does that mean i have special powers? Unless you can explain how you use these ma's to give you an edge i don't get it. A trend is pretty clear. We could get a Ferrari and paint the word Ferrari down the side of it if you think you need to,but don't be surprised if people will find that kind of odd.

Edited by mitsubishi

Then can we get back to Taylor?
Why? Who needs Taylor. A price chart is all you need. There is no grail. Not even price action is the holy grail. It can be misread and more than often than not it is misread. In fact price itself is a lagging indicator even though many times it is called a leading indicator. May I ask what are you trying to accomplish by looking at price?