Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

mitsubishi

Beyond Taylor

...1. Taylor wrote, "Should the opening on--Selling Day--be down and decline further from the opening price--Sell out on any rally from the low of this decline and this point would be--at, through and above the Low of the Buying Day--should the rally carry back this far--this is now your Primary Selling Objective, instead of the Buying Day High"

Further,

2. Taylor wrote, "Should the decline stop within a fraction or a point or so and should the rally start with the activity picking up as the price sells through the Low of the Buying Day and shows no hesitancy just above this Low, the rally may carry further--even penetrate the High of the Buying Day--and it does, at times. We would then switch back to our Primary Selling Objective, that of selling--at or through the Buying Day High. We should sell out of this penetration before the close"...

Today the ES is acting like a classic SELL DAY described by Taylor vis a vis "1."

Seems to me that the software gets confused in times of indecision/sideways market.As you say,you could have the same tactic in early trading re buying an early low regardless of how you name the day.The fact that it's a BV and only ride a rally up to and through the prev low is something you would simply consider in terms of the prev support possibly becoming resistance due to the break of that support earlier and the general l/h's and weakness we are seeing.

Recycling the day might suggest further opportunities but if price regains the lost ground and holds it and moves up,then buying a higher bottom is a possibility in any case,again regardless of naming/recycling the days.And i'm forced to reaffirm my opinion that naming the days is no advantage once you are familiar with reading a market and it's typical patterms...unless i'm missing something?

if you don't name the days the how will you know:

1) which taylor tactics to use

2) which rules to follow

3) which rules to break :rofl:

Rephasing doesn't ALWAYS create more opportunities or always better sync one with PA but, it does so, more often than not. I have been rephasing this whole experiment (concession...journal...whatever) and the demo account is up near $4000.00 this week or week and half on taylor trades and few scalps and that is mostly trading 1 contract. I do not think (from experience it would be up that much if it weren't for rephasing. Granted it would be up but i don't think that much.

It as been range bound all morning after the slow drift south during the night part of the complete session. If there is no afternoon rally then it simply would not have been a good taylor day (i.e. stretching the rules) except for the BV. Happens sometimes. Nothing a body can do about it...

Today the ES is acting like a classic SELL DAY described by Taylor vis a vis "1."
the sell day opprtunity is over. It made a lower low early in the session then traded back up to the previous days low. Forget the SELL day; it is over. I will enter data and see what ole windbags software says.

Mits the software doesn't get confused. It is a sideways range bound intraday PA but remember the sotware is a "daily" EOD forecaster. It is a downday on the daily time frame.

Edited by Patuca

Well guys if we don't get an afternoon horse and buggy ride up soon that i can jump on i think i will call it a day. I am up $437.50 scalping 1 contract. I think i had one losing trade ..very small...but still net up 437.50. That puts the demo account at $54,000.00 probally a good place to end this experiment. Next few weeks i have other things to do.

Nary a word from capt Bob. He must be pissed. I took his challenge and mysteriousley the account climbed to $ 4000.00 in about 1 to 1.5 weeks and that doesn't count the 2 or 3 grand made in the first demo if i remember correctly.

Yo would think capt Bob would be here congradulating me. After all no one else put their neck on the line...i wasn't worried about my reputation...I lost that a long time ago.....:rofl: :rofl:

I am just an ole jackass that likes the excitement and fun of trading. Plus the challenge. In last place the money.......never worry about the money...only worry about the market direction and if you are going with it, or against it..

Its been fun...

Hope someone learned something and doesn't leave MORE confused.

Here is the final account summary. The $437.50 was made today scalping 1 contract. It was a terrible day even for scalping. But hey you take what you can get....

Patuca over and out.

image.jpg.ce541aa4acbfc9dd2b5b9f223cb3c343.jpg

Edited by Patuca

:applaud:

When bob has finished his:cinema:

he'll be along..otherwise you oughta bust him down to private,

LOL.... Maybe PFC eh?. Maybe he is hitting a series of home runs in the gold market using Gann principles and is too busy running around the bases!

If such a rally were to happen, it seems to me a new "catalyst" is likely to have entered the context such that a displacement of the Taylor Trading day could happen.

That would reflect what could be meant by the broader context and the broader context fundamentally controls and or influences the price action intra day. The broader context could consist of the broader trend, catalysts, etc.

Furthermore, it could be hypothesized that such a displacement happens because a Taylor Trading day, such as today, could be understood as reflecting a certain BALANCE of bulls to bears. But, the new catalyst, if it were to show up, could RE BALANCE THE TAYLOR BALANCE OF BULLS TO BEARS or what Mitisubushi seems likely to classify as the balance between DEMAND and SUPPLY.

These are simply my thoughts on what I am terming the concept of the Taylor Trading day catalyst displacement.

The exception did not take place. A new catalyst did not re balance the Taylor balance of bulls to bears. That suggests whatever catalysts that seemed to show up intra day, such as the Obama statement just before the close of the RTH today, had been "priced in."

Hence that example suggests that each Taylor Trading Day, there are the rules or the regular pattern for that day and, on top of that, that particular day could involve numerous different catalysts or potential catalysts--but many of those catalysts have been "priced in" by the market. The atypical or the totally new catalyst, however, could show up and that catalyst is not priced in and could create the effect of the catalytic displacement of the Taylor Trading day.

The above represents pure speculation and thought experimentation.

if.......

Rephasing doesn't ALWAYS create more opportunities or always better sync one with PA but, it does so, more often than not. I have been rephasing this whole experiment ......

I have to congratulate Patuca here.

This thread and others on Taylor trading on the site have been running off and on for years, but this is the first time I personally have been intrigued that there might be something to this. Could be the skill of the trader at the helm this time, could be that others in the past have preferred to keep their "knowledge" and expertise with the method "under wraps"

I do have a nagging question regarding the "rephasing". If indeed, as you mention, this leads to higher odds, and more opportunities, it would be very interesting to understand some of the fundamentals that factor into the rephasing. But it appears from comments during the experiment, that this is all a "secret" of WHY's software, which members of the forum have no access to.

Any learnings during the experiment that you can share around conditions that drive rephasing (breakouts in night session, market movements during the day that override expectations of the current day(B, S or short) in terms of highs, lows, previous days Taylor range calculations, etc?

snowbird

The exception did not take place. A new catalyst did not re balance the Taylor balance of bulls to bears. That suggests whatever catalysts that seemed to show up intra day, such as the Obama statement just before the close of the RTH today, had been "priced in."

Hence that example suggests that each Taylor Trading Day, there are the rules or the regular pattern for that day and, on top of that, that particular day could involve numerous different catalysts or potential catalysts--but many of those catalysts have been "priced in" by the market. The atypical or the totally new catalyst, however, could show up and that catalyst is not priced in and could create the effect of the catalytic displacement of the Taylor Trading day.

The above represents pure speculation and thought experimentation.

"Successful speculation is not based on any one set of inflexible rules and a trader must be ready to change when conditions change.However,the trader who knows how to act when the expected happens is in a better position to act when the unexpected happens"

From the preface of The Taylor Trading Technique by George Douglass Taylor

POST #1

The basic techniques for taking advantage of the market's offer is in that book.The trader brings their own approach and tools to the method.

For me labelling the days hinders rather than helps.If yesterday looked like a typical buy day then today could be a typical sell day.But that simply translates into-if the low was made 1st yesterday and you are long you can close on the same day or anticipate that the momentum/strength shown that day will continue into the following day .If the market opens up today and you are still holding you can either

1- close your existing position

2- Wait to see signs of weakness,so close out and go short,or await a chance to go long again

3-if the market still looks strong hold for a second day or a part of it.

The safest place to trade,and the point where the market is likely to pause or reverse is the buying and selling objectives which are prev H/L's .No need to even read the book to be aware of that.

How the market acts within the context of these zones on the different time frames is the clue to which side the main players are on.You can trade what Taylor calls 'the cross currents' (counter trend),but he advises there is more risk involved and typically less points to be captured.Again that is common sense,no need to read the book to be aware of that.

Similarly,trading inbetween the objectives is risky because the moves on the lowest time frame are harder to read.But if you can scalp very well,which is harder these days,you can still do so within the context of the theory in the book.

It seems to me that the most intriquing and seductive part of the book is the 3 day cycle.That is the part that leads you to initially believe that you have found a long lost secret.The part that might make you believe that you can turn the market into what Patuca calls the "ATM"

While I don't want to sound like a broken record,the cycle is a theoretical model and the market cannot be forced into a literal 3 day or 5 day cycle.It is simply a way of getting you to understand how the market basically moves,and anticipating it's next move.If what you anticipate happening is happening you act accordingly.And if it is not doing what you anticipate,again,you act accordingly.You either have an existing position you have to make a decision about or you have an opportunity to open a new position and you have to make a decision about that.

Further,the best opportunities tend to come early in the session and you need to be able and ready to act quickly if you're aiming to get a good part of the move before the market pauses/reverses again,or close out an existing position before the market starts taking back your profit.

It is traders who have the potential to make things more complex than they are.

But whatever you use/bring to the method,the aim is to get in sync with the buying and selling waves as often as possible and attempt to capture the maximum points you can.

Easy to lose clear sight of those simple objectives.

This book was the turning point in my trading..and Livermore.

Edited by mitsubishi

Well guys if we don't get an afternoon horse and buggy ride up soon that i can jump on i think i will call it a day. I am up $437.50 scalping 1 contract. I think i had one losing trade ..very small...but still net up 437.50. That puts the demo account at $54,000.00 probally a good place to end this experiment. Next few weeks i have other things to do.

Nary a word from capt Bob. He must be pissed. I took his challenge and mysteriousley the account climbed to $ 4000.00 in about 1 to 1.5 weeks and that doesn't count the 2 or 3 grand made in the first demo if i remember correctly.

Yo would think capt Bob would be here congradulating me. After all no one else put their neck on the line...i wasn't worried about my reputation...I lost that a long time ago.....:rofl: :rofl:

I am just an ole jackass that likes the excitement and fun of trading. Plus the challenge. In last place the money.......never worry about the money...only worry about the market direction and if you are going with it, or against it..

Its been fun...

Hope someone learned something and doesn't leave MORE confused.

Here is the final account summary. The $437.50 was made today scalping 1 contract. It was a terrible day even for scalping. But hey you take what you can get....

Patuca over and out.

Dear Super Patuca

You have done a great job, well done.

And you deserve the "Master Trader" title.

Traders Lab have stopped sending me mail, hence my absence.

And the Gold thread is dead. (I wonder why?)

My tomatoes are really looking tasty ;)

LS tripple T must be writing some sort of research project, reading her formal replies.

And mitsubishis thread has become 4 star..... it deserves 5 stars.

cheers

bob

PS. I think the recycling days is cheating :(

Dear Super Patuca

LS tripple T must be writing some sort of research project, reading her formal replies.

cheers

bob

hi bob....you on vacation or something?

TW

I have to congratulate Patuca here.

This thread and others on Taylor trading on the site have been running off and on for years, but this is the first time I personally have been intrigued that there might be something to this. Could be the skill of the trader at the helm this time, could be that others in the past have preferred to keep their "knowledge" and expertise with the method "under wraps"

I do have a nagging question regarding the "rephasing". If indeed, as you mention, this leads to higher odds, and more opportunities, it would be very interesting to understand some of the fundamentals that factor into the rephasing. But it appears from comments during the experiment, that this is all a "secret" of WHY's software, which members of the forum have no access to.

Any learnings during the experiment that you can share around conditions that drive rephasing (breakouts in night session, market movements during the day that override expectations of the current day(B, S or short) in terms of highs, lows, previous days Taylor range calculations, etc?

snowbird

Snowbird,

Thanks for the congrat....

Whatever is in WHY? Software has the calculations that determine the rephasing or recycling whatever you wish to call it. WHY? won't sell nor give away his software. I hope to talk to him in Honduras sometime next year. Perhaps the old codger will sell the rights to me. He could even give them to me..then i could become a vendor with that pretty golden C under my new master trader handle. But then everyone would hate my guts...but wait...they already do so it doesn't matter...:rofl: :rofl:

To answer your question...well i would say perhaps market movements that take out projected anticipations?.....but also maybe whether objectives were made first or last. Taylor tracked the latter very close as he claimed it gave higher odds so...to speak. Maybe these things? For instance, on a buy day the low being made with a low close is indicative of a BV the next session. Now what if it is a sell day and the low is made last with a low close? Next day shoud be a ssday in the cycle but the PA of the sell day doesn't confirm that action. So do your recycle it make it a buy day instead of a ssday or even make it another sell day? I don't know...

I know this much..Why?'s Software allows me to recycle or to use it without any rephasing but when i do in fact choose the rephasing option i get the sense that it gives me more opportunities and trades seem to turn out better. Have i actually logged trades and checked the difference in a professional manner. Sh$t no. I don't even keep a check book register ..you think i am going to keep records on trades...? Either i make make money or don't. Either my bank accounts have money in them or they don't. Rarely do i ever know exactly how much is in a bank account.i know a round about ball park figure...that is good enough for me....:rofl:

I know that probably drives perfectionists crazy?... But the market isn't perfect...never has been and never will be. And that is PRECISELY why it can never be reduced down to mathematical equations based on perfect quantification or excellent statistics. Just as sure as you think you got it figured out it will throw another pile of horse sh$t at you to figure out.

I say stick to the fundamentals. We have trends. We have channels. We have ranges. We have breakouts.we have pull backs. We have reversals. And all this take place in the context of volume ....oops...i hear some groans...and time. No trends are exactly the same. Likewise no channels...etc... But they are close enough to be useful.

Taylors ideas and concepts express a pattern that repeats itself over and over again and again. He says it is manipulation...groan again..eyes rolled...white of eye balls showing...it may or may not be but the important thing is that it does show up.

The one thing i wish taylor would have addressed better was tape reading.i have felt for years that for his system to really shine one has to have some tape reading skills.

And tape reading in its most basic sense is correlating price movement with volume or volume with price movement. Its not really about T&S oh no another groan....and all the sh$t that takes place on the DOM. Nor is it about hidden orders...dark pools...hft..algos..piecing back together chopped up orders..etc. It is simply answering the question what did price do (up down..sideways.nothing.).., how (speed...fast ..slow..grudgingly..like a bat out of hell).. did it do it, and on what volume (vol is the value of price it is the $$$$$or you could say price is the value of volume...but in the end volume speaks of money$$$ and money makes the world go around...) did it do it, and how far did it do it (spread..wide..narrow..). And why did it stop ...support..resistance..?? And finally what will it most likely do next (anticipatory..forecast..predict..oh sh$t a big groan on that one..eyealls popping...pants wet...brains turn to jello...lips shudder and tremble....well you get the idea..semantics work people into a frenzy...it is so funny..:rofl: :rofl::rofl: oh my sides :rofl: :rofl: oh it hurts...:rofl: :rofl:

Anyway i have my own tape reading techniques. I call it reading the tape bar by bar..(pub crawl) :rofl::rofl:

Maybe one day i'll write a pamplet and sell it and get me two pretty yellow golden C's under my handle...

But for right now i got more important things to do like ride my moto and fish...

Dear Super Patuca

cheers

bob

hello capt Bob. Thanks for the congrats. Ls triple t may be gathering data for a taylor trading book. A book on taylor trading for those those havard grads...

We recycle garbage...we recycle..water...metal...

Recycling is generally looked upon in a favorable light. Recycling days for trading can be wholesome and productive requiring less energy and original raw products.

The gold thread is dead...never fear it will soon be resurrected again....

Good to have you back capt bob.

Taylor book..probally most important book last 50 years....on trading ..that is...IMO

My books if i ever get around to writing them may just supplant his :rofl: :rofl: and hurtle me into the traders hall of fame or is it shame? Just another notch on my belt and another feather in my hat....gotta keep ones ego boosted you know..lose that .you lose ambition...lose ambition...you just ride motos and fish....

"Successful speculation is not based on any one set of inflexible rules and a trader must be ready to change when conditions change.However,the trader who knows how to act when the expected happens is in a better position to act when the unexpected happens"

From the preface of The Taylor Trading Technique by George Douglass Taylor

It seems to me that the most intriquing and seductive part of the book is the 3 day cycle.That is the part that leads you to initially believe that you have found a long lost secret.The part that might make you believe that you can turn the market into what Patuca calls the "ATM"

/QUOTE]

Mits the ATM Strategy has absolutely nothing to do with taylor or his concepts neither does it have anything to do with turning the market into anything. It s simply taking advantage of what the market as turned itself into.

As far as the three day cycle..well ...it does exist...if there ever was a time it was a secret that is long gone...it is on forums now in various places and vendors are making $$$ selling calls and projections based on taylors concepts. Thanks to people like ANGELL...RASCKE..MITSUBISHI...DOGPILE...WINDBAG WHY?..PATUCA...AND A FEW OTHERS...who promoted...examined...studied..clarified his concepts for others to SEE and UNDERSTAND thereby turning it into a grand ole money making $$$$ vendor opportunity. Check it out and you will find before the above people, hardly, nary a word, about mr.taylor.."may he rest in peace" although that will be hard with all the vendors....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The thing ...who cares?? Much more $$$ can be made trading mr taylors concepts than selling them...OTH those golden "C's" look right pretty...

According to the continuous, non recycled count, Friday, 9.27.13, had been a SELL DAY for the ES. Interestingly, the Sunday session, which commences in the afternoon, is a part of the overnight session for the Complete Session involving Monday, today, 9.30.13. At any rate, today up to the close of the RTH of the ES represents the SHORT SELL DAY vis a vis the continuous Taylor count.

10.1.13, Tuesday, represents the BUY DAY for the Complete Session of the ES.

The time of posting is 3:53 p.m. PDT on 9.30.13, Monday.

According to the continuous, non recycled count, Friday, 9.27.13, had been a SELL DAY for the ES. Interestingly, the Sunday session, which commences in the afternoon, is a part of the overnight session for the Complete Session involving Monday, today, 9.30.13. At any rate, today up to the close of the RTH of the ES represents the SHORT SELL DAY vis a vis the continuous Taylor count.

10.1.13, Tuesday, represents the BUY DAY for the Complete Session of the ES.

The time of posting is 3:53 p.m. PDT on 9.30.13, Monday.

If we're starting the count from Aug 28 at 1627.4 then Sept 27 was a buy day.You may have it as a sell day due to the fact that you included Sept 2nd in the count but the market was actually closed that day.

Patuca- how would recycling the day affect traders who are running a different cycle,say if trader A had today as a buy day and and trader B had it as a sell day.I assume it would give both traders the same results?

Exactly what data do you input into the software?

If we're starting the count from Aug 28 at 1627.4 then Sept 27 was a buy day.You may have it as a sell day due to the fact that you included Sept 2nd in the count but the market was actually closed that day...

I did not work with count from August 28. I did, however, utilize the method of determining the count by Taylor and my count analysis shows the ES Complete Session on Friday, 9.27.13., to be a SELL DAY and Monday, 9.30.13, to be a SHORT SELL DAY, and today, Tuesday, 10.1.13 to be a BUY DAY.

The time for this post is 10.1.13, Tuesday, at 8:08 a.m. PDT

I did not work with count from August 28. I did, however, utilize the method of determining the count by Taylor and my count analysis shows the ES Complete Session on Friday, 9.27.13., to be a SELL DAY and Monday, 9.30.13, to be a SHORT SELL DAY, and today, Tuesday, 10.1.13 to be a BUY DAY.

The time for this post is 10.1.13, Tuesday, at 8:08 a.m. PDT

Thanks for the clarification.You did not make it clear that this is your count and not Patuca's count which is the one we were following.

...You did not make it clear that this is your count and not Patuca's count which is the one we were following.

So, today is a BUY DAY by my continuous count and today, apparently, is a SHORT SELL DAY by Patuca's continuous count. And, of course, there is the recycling count day--of which we don't know what that may be today.

Hence, ambiguities like the above, it seems to me, underscore the import of theory vs. that of application. It could be akin to the choice of the map a person selects for a particular destination. Not all maps, however, are necessarily equal.

So, today is a BUY DAY by my continuous count and today, apparently, is a SHORT SELL DAY by Patuca's continuous count. And, of course, there is the recycling count day--of which we don't know what that may be today.

Hence, ambiguities like the above, it seems to me, underscore the import of theory vs. that of application. It could be akin to the choice of the map a person selects for a particular destination. Not all maps, however, are necessarily equal.

Less ambiguity in the theory if you remove the labelling of the days and apply the theory as each opportunity is presented by the market.

What is missing from the book is today's context.We are all looking at the same charts and Taylor's theory really only describes some simple concepts that lot's of people know about already.Main one being that price action,a phrase that so many find hard to define, is simply a series of testing previous price levels.

What the book does is change your perception on how to capture more points.

If labelling the days introduces ambiguities,then is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Patuca says that labelling the days improved his results in this experiment.But there's a problem.Patuca uses a lot of discretion in his decision making.So there is no way he could scientifically quantify that belief,simply because he has no idea how his discretion would have influenced his trades on May 29 or in 2 weeks time.

Ultimately,Patuca could use almost anything to trade with..he's that good.

So if I was him,i would be asking myself why I hold a belief that I haven't quantified rather than convince myself I should bother unlocking the secrets of some software that further complicates something that is ambiguous.Unless one of his reasons is to remove some/all discretion from his trading approach,and that the secrets of the software remove some/all of the ambiguity.

Less ambiguity in the theory if you remove the labelling of the days and apply the theory as each opportunity is presented by the market.

What is missing from the book is today's context.We are all looking at the same charts and Taylor's theory really only describes some simple concepts that lot's of people know about already.Main one being that price action,a phrase that so many find hard to define, is simply a series of testing previous price levels...

Mitsubishi doesn't seem to believe in the relevance of the Taylor count in trading the Taylor theory. Apparently, Mitsubishi has discovered that either the application of the Taylor theory without the count is more profitable than with the count or the application of the Taylor theory without the count is inessential to profitable trading.

But it could be that the apparent irrelevance of the Taylor count could be related to the way in which the Taylor count is applied: for example, whether the count is utilized mechanically or discretionarily.

On this point, it occurs to me that an assumption of mine had been that Taylor entered a trade based upon the Taylor Trading cycle mechanically but exited discretionarily. But, it could be that the Taylor entered discretionarily and exited discretionarily via utilizing the Taylor rules as "guides" to interpret whether an entry made sense or whether an exit made sense--and where--rather than as mechanical rules to apply each time a certain day in the cycle happened to happen. The "book method" substantiates this understanding, because Taylor could identify whether numbers "add up" based upon the "book method" to enter on a BUY DAY, for example, or whether not to enter on that particular BUY DAY. This type of choice determination seems to me to reflect more of a discretion concept rather than a mechanical concept of entries or trading.