Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

mitsubishi

Beyond Taylor

It seems to me that a trader could, for example, enter via a Taylor signal with twice the size of the position and exit 50% of the position (or whatever have you) as an intra day trade at any time for profit and continue with the other 50% of the position for a Taylor swing trade.
that seems better than just all in or all out but some here say over time it does't work...cant remember if it was mr blue horseshoes or zdo or someone else (but in thought it was one of them) that defied anyone to prove scaling out works...

...Finally, if the "exception" happens, a trader could work with exiting the Taylor swing position in a certain way for risk management--Taylor mentioned the method that Taylor worked with for exiting if the "exception" were to happen.

The PB that just happened on the ES from 1701 to 1693 doesn't seem to me to represent an "exception" to the Taylor Trading rules, however. This is because, today, on the SELL DAY, the ES created a BV and hit 1687 and rallied to 1701. That represents a 14 handle rally. If I recall accurately, I believe Taylor mentioned exiting from such a position on such a rally because the likelihood of a deep PB could happen.

Furthermore, there is the influence of the broader context in multiple ways today and this week, including the negative political and monetary catalysts out there this week--the debt ceiling next week and the possible QE 3 tapering that could happen in October. That broader context suggested even more the likelihood of a deep PB today after the 14 handle rally (as it is happening at this point at 2:46 p.m. CDT).

Edited by LSTTT

I am flat. Out of my last position at 1693.75. Last, went long at 1693.75 and out 1693.75. Total disaster and mishandling of the trade. Will make some comments later. Gotta run to town...-$250.00 for the day.

Patuca

The PB that just happened on the ES from 1701 to 1693 doesn't seem to me to represent an "exception" to the Taylor Trading rules, however. This is because, today, on the SELL DAY, the ES created a BV and hit 1687 and rallied to 1701. That represents a 14 handle rally. If I recall accurately, I believe Taylor mentioned exiting from such a position on such a rally because the likelihood of a deep PB could happen...

In checking the accuracy of my recall, I consulted the Taylor text and, among the various rules for the SELL DAY by Taylor, I identified two rules Taylor wrote that are relevant to what happened today:

1. Taylor wrote, "Should the opening on--Selling Day--be down and decline further from the opening price--Sell out on any rally from the low of this decline and this point would be--at, through and above the Low of the Buying Day--should the rally carry back this far--this is now your Primary Selling Objective, instead of the Buying Day High"

Further,

2. Taylor wrote, "Should the decline stop within a fraction or a point or so and should the rally start with the activity picking up as the price sells through the Low of the Buying Day and shows no hesitancy just above this Low, the rally may carry further--even penetrate the High of the Buying Day--and it does, at times. We would then switch back to our Primary Selling Objective, that of selling--at or through the Buying Day High. We should sell out of this penetration before the close"

At 9:15 a.m. CDT, the ES hit 1687--two handles below the Low of the Buying Day at 1689. This could be interpreted as reflecting rule "2": "the decline stop within a fraction or a point or so." Based upon that, it seems that Patuca targeted the High of the Buying Day today. My interpretation, however, had been that of rule "1" and the meaningfulness of exiting "above the Low of the Buying Day--should the rally carry back this far" and the target being the rally re trace to 1701 vs. the Buying Day High.

Hence based upon the above difference in interpretation of the price action and my emphasis on rule "1," it seemed to me that an "exception" to the Taylor Trading rules did not happen today--what happened today accurately reflected the basis for rule "1"; however, because Patuca, it seems, worked with rule "2," it could be understood that an "exception" to the Taylor Trading rules did actually happen because the price did not, in fact, rally to the Buying Day High, creating an exception to the basis for rule "2" in the process.

The above divergence in interpretations by Patuca and me reflects an example of why the Taylor text and theory can be complicated and difficult to apply at times.

Edited by LSTTT

TITLE OF POST: HOW NOT TO TRADE TAYLOR

COURTESY OF DIPSTICK1. :helloooo: :helloooo: :helloooo:

Learn from dipstick1 :) :missy:

Ok let me recap what happened. I went long 1693.75 on 9-23-2013 (yesterday) on a rephased BUY DAY. 9-23 was a SS Day that got rephased into a buy day. So, i am long on a buy day. Rules are i can sell this anytime in the next complete session on any rally to or through the buy day high (i.e. the the high of 9-23). However, there are times when price fails to reach the objective or penetrate it. There are rules for this too. In addition, since 9-24 was a SELL DAY i would be allowed to take another long position on a BV if made.

So, here is what happened. I held my long 1693.75 overnight. The day session open. Price right away begins trading down. I hold on. I should have immediately sold the long but I held waiting to see if a BV would be made at which point i would immediately exit my position. Well, It did trade on down and once a BV was made i immediately exited at 1688.75 and took my loss of 5 pts or -$250.00. First mistake was waiting this long to take my loss. I let the market move against me 5 pts. The game plan now that i am flat is to re-enter long on the BV. We an almost immediate reversal bar. However i waited for confirmation that this was a real reversal and not just a PB in a new downtrend from the open of the RTH's. My second mistake was waiting too long for confirmation. I should have been long again right away at least by mid bar of bar 9:25 at or around 1690.50. The BV had already been and we were in a strong reversal. Instead i waited and re-entered the market again at 1693.75 (my previous entry point). So, i have a new long position but i am down -$250.00 from my previous long. Price rallies and goes all the way to 1701. I should have exited there. Right then. I had a 7 point gain on my last position if you deduct 1 tick for exiting. That was a $350.00 gain. I would have recouped my loss of 250 and ended the day ahead 100.00 on 1 contract.

Now, if i had played this right i would have exited my first long on bar 8:45 on that little bounce back up after it traded down 3 bars after the open of day session (bars 8:30, 8:35, 8:40) and got out at breakeven then waited for a BV. Then once the BV WAS MADE and the reversal bar appeared (9:20) and confirmation on the next bar (9:25), i would have been long again at 1690.50 with no losses to recoup and rode the rally to 1700.75 for a 10.25 pt gain or $512.50 for 1 contract.

Taylor trading was correct. I am the one that butchered the trade. I broke at least one of the secondary rules that LSTTT mentioned above plus some other secondary rules i am pretty sure but would have to look then up.

I am not sure what rules TW thought i had broke but i think i thought he was referring to main cycle rules thus i responded i hadn't broke them.

The taylor system has alot of rules. Main rules and secondary rules for dealing with failures to penetrate ...etc. I just forgot some of them. I haven't traded taylor cycle for years. I use to alot with stocks. It is very difficult (but not impossible) to commit all his rules to memory. A trader really needs to do that or at least know where to find them in his book on the spur of the moment.

The problem today was ME not taylor. I am the dipstick. I broke the rules. The cycle was correct. The price action was as anticipated by the cycle. The profit was there. I ...topdipstick1 ...totally mis-handled the trade and lost $250.00 when i should have made 512.50 per contract. Good thing i was only trading 1 contract. For that i am not a dipstick :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am attaching a chart showing some main points in this post so those interested in them can visually reference them. I would suggest you print the chart and save it if you are interested in taylor trading.

PS. I am old and do not remember taylors rules like i used to. If you see me break one call it to my attention as soon as possible and point which rule i broke but point it out immediately.

image.thumb.jpg.829b1c5d85d6817f7e2e5411d95d7142.jpg

Edited by Patuca

While i was ok on taylor rule #2 mentioned above by LSTTT I should have payed more attention to rule #1 and at least exited between the rules ....i.e. 1700 area. My bad. No other way to explain it. I will find some secondary rules i broke and post them.

Main thing is,apart from no real money lost,is you're showing the Taylor method is sound and answering the questions does it work on the indicies,and how does Globex change things from Tayor's era? Other factors are this is not your usual style of trading these days and also you have some distractions going on.

All in all,a fine job.So good in fact,that for me I didn't need to check your chart and could visualise everything you said.

Re the Q how to cope with the pb's/cross currents it just comes down to what suits your trading style and having the applicable mindset..With your experience you could use one contract for Taylor plays and another for your scalping....?

Probably it's preplanning based on next day likely scenario(s) that would negate the need so much to recheck all the rules

RULES FOR A SELL DAY: "on a stalled opening or where the opening and the previous close are the same, the trader sells at the market immediately upon seeing the open price." P37 chapter 7 2nd col 2nd par.

"The stock or future should have opened up and continued the rally further if the immediate trend is up. It is a better play to take small loss at this point than to hold on and chance a much greater loss."

"A buying day purchase must show a profit, that is, the spread from the low to the closing price and not lose it on the opening of the selling day. The above action oes not favor your play so get out as cheap as you can." Chap 7 p38 1st col 2nd par.

The basic concept here is if the sell day opens dwn or near close of previous day (buy day) and trades down instead of up then get it out immediately.

We have to make some allowances here for the open at 5:00 p.m. CDT for the night session because vol is so low at that time. But in this case ES closed 1693.00. It opened at 5:00 p.m. 9-23 at 1693.25 traded up in just a few minutes to 1694 then started down and went under 1993.25. That should have been my cue to exit immediately or or any rally that would get me out at break even or a small profit. It went on down and didn't rally enough to get me back to breakeven until 2:10 a.m. 9-24.

Even if we take the concept and apply it to the open of the RTH SESSION at 8:30 a.m. It opened at 1694.75 and immediately traded down (within first 5 minutes) traded down to 1692.75 under the close of 9-23. Then the next two bars even lower. I should have exited at breakeven on bar 8:45 on my chart.

I missed both cues to exit. I had totally forgotton the rule. I lost 250.00 by the time i exited. Should have exited and then waited for the BV and gone long again and made a 10 pt or so profit.

Edited by Patuca

Main thing is,apart from no real money lost,is you're showing the Taylor method is sound and answering the questions does it work on the indicies,and how does Globex change things from Tayor's era? Other factors are this is not your usual style of trading these days and also you have some distractions going on.

All in all,a fine job.So good in fact,that for me I didn't need to check your chart and could visualise everything you said.

Re the Q how to cope with the pb's/cross currents it just comes down to what suits your trading style and having the applicable mindset..With your experience you could use one contract for Taylor plays and another for your scalping....?

Probably it's preplanning based on next day likely scenario(s) that would negate the need so much to recheck all the rules

thanks for the encouraging words. We learn from our mistakes don't we? Or at least should.

I may try that next on another week i.e. mixing scalping and taylor but i think this week i will stick with taylor. I could use taylor for the anticipatory bias... let actual price action confirm it... then scalp all day long in the taylor direction. For example if long on a taylor trade and rallys tops and a PB starts exit taylor trade and when PB ends and taylor move up resumes go long again. I just can't hardly stand giving back profits.

I will post numbers for tomm soon. At least i am still up nearly 3 grand in the latest demo. After this loss i am at 52,850.00. This doesn't count the profts made from the first demo when i started this experiment.

The numbers for 9-25

High End 1697

Low End 1686

9-25 would have been a SS DAY BUT BECAUSE of some price action today and after calculations and numbering crunching it rephases to a SELL DAY.

So cycle for 9-25 SELL DAY

Basic strategy - long on a BV (i.e. price trades under previous session low of 1687.50), if we have one. Sell any long position taken during this session in the same session.. This BV can be tonight or tommorrow after RTH's start.

Don't have any longs left from previous session to sell so won't be selling any.

image.jpg.1309f35080e9b4910f18494961e6afc4.jpg

Edited by Patuca

Here is my taylor trade today. Was not able to get what I wanted for doing other things but did trade make $237.50 on this one contract. The range today was 10.5 pts. I captured 4.75 pts of the range. I am not satisfied with that. I believe i should be capturing 1/2 to 3/4 of the daily range when Taylor trading. I might have done around 8 or 9 points if i could have captured that second leg up after the BV was made. Picture explains what happened. Well if i can just keep practicing it i may get good enough to capture up to 3/4 of the daily range.

Has anyone else noticed if in Taylors book he mentions stoplosses? I don't recall a single mention of them. If you find where direct me to the page. I don't believe the man used them. He just exited losing positions on the fly when his rules said to do so.

Will post tomm figures shortly.

Patuca

image.thumb.jpg.ea5986bf23598b4c382d503568a21161.jpg

You might find this interesting. In post 762 the forecasted high end and low end numbers for 9-25 were 1695 and 1686. What did the market actually do? It did: 1695.00 and 1684.50. That is 2 points and 1.5 points difference respectively. I think that is pretty good forecasting for some antiquated software oldwind bag WHY? lets me use. You have to manually enter the data but it does all the number crunching and also the rephasing of the cycle etc...he won't update the software and he isn't a programmer but since i know him i get to use it..saves me alot of work. Not sure taylor would be worth me trying to do if i had to do all the calculations by hand with a calculator. WHY? should give away or even sell the software but he won't. The old codger! I guess he will take the calculations to the grave with him unless some can talk him into sharing it. But i have my copy. If he would give me permission or the rights....but he won't.

There is another guy on one of the taylor threads that used to plug the data into a daily spreadsheets. Not sure he still does it. I think he was from Canada. I think he sold the service as a monthly subscription fee. One could subscribe to the instruments he was trading and tracking. Anybody here know anything about him or tried the service? If so, did it work?

FOR ES 9-26-2013 DEC CONTRACT COMPLETE SESSION 5:00 pm 9-25 to 4:15 p.m. 9-26 CDT

High End 1692

Low End 1682

9-25 was a sell day making tomm 9-26 a SS DAY. However....the software rephased the cycle AGAIN. Usuallythat doesn't happen that often. Something must be happening internally with price action that causes the recyling.

So...instead of 9-26 being a SS DAY it has beome a BUY DAY.

Cycle - 9-26 BUY DAY

General tactic. There may be both long and short opportunities. If low made first then the idea is to go long near low end number (tape read for final entry). If high made first the idea is short near high end number. If both made early in the session then both strategies can be employed. It is even possible to go long twice and short once if the opportunities present themselves...Fr example, High made first..for shorting then low made (for covering short and reversing long) but still early in session.. If following rally is sufficient sell long same day. Or low made first (for long) followed by high made (for selling long if rally is good then shorting) but still early in the session. Then if all along...through all this it holds a higher bottom one can go long again near close and hold for next session. Please print this if you like taylor trading. You will not find it written this way anywhere in his book but it can certainly be deduced from his writings. Ole windbag Why? Knows Taylor writings really well. He can teach you many things about taylor trading. It woud be nice if he would show up here.

That's very interesting.I think there;s a link to that service somewhere on this site.There are old taylor threads here.Don't hold me too it though,we're going back several years.

I wondered how you were coming up with these numbers...

My instinct is that they could be a similar calculation to how floor pivots are calculated R1 2 3 S 1 2 3 etc. That seems logical Jim. If so,then they are probably just a variation.

If this is so or it is something similar how hard would it be to reverse engineer? How hard would it be to devise something similar? OTHO how close has it been on a daily basis?

Another thought... I wonder if it is based on decaying futures premium forwarded to cash values on a later day somehow...can't quite articulate what I mean

One more thing- WHY? kept saying one thing without explanation....."I continually find new secrets buried within Taylor's book" (something like that didn't he say "nuggets"?.) so maybe it's in there...

I don't recall Taylor talking about fixed stops and that is understanderable in view of the method.It's very much about repeating patterns of movement and it is for the reader to learn how to read a market using these techniques and each trader will set their own stop-you can see why this text is ignored by fans of the superupdowngreenarrow/redarrow90%winningtradesindicator.

As I recall,and I think you mentioned it recently,when you are wrong,get out on the next rally/retrace...makes me wonder what kind of typical range and leverage he was facing/using...

FOR ES 9-26-2013 DEC CONTRACT COMPLETE SESSION 5:00 pm 9-25 to 4:15 p.m. 9-26 CDT

High End 1692

Low End 1682

9-25 was a sell day making tomm 9-26 a SS DAY. However....the software rephased the cycle AGAIN. Usuallythat doesn't happen that often. Something must be happening internally with price action that causes the recyling.

Cycle - 9-26 BUY DAY

General tactic. There may be both long and short opportunities. If low made first then the idea is to go long near low end number (tape read for final entry). If high made first the idea is short near high end number. If both made early in the session then both strategies can be employed. It is even possible to go long twice and short once if the opportunities present themselves...Fr example, High made first..for shorting then low made (for covering short and reversing long) but still early in session.. If following rally is sufficient sell long same day. Or low made first (for long) followed by high made (for selling long if rally is good then shorting) but still early in the session. Then if all along...through all this it holds a higher bottom one can go long again near close and hold for next session. Please print this if you like taylor trading. You will not find it written this way anywhere in his book but it can certainly be deduced from his writings. Ole windbag Why? Knows Taylor writings really well. He can teach you many things about taylor trading. It woud be nice if he would show up here.

WHY?.......WHY? can you hear us? Just tap the table if you can hear us.............................................................................................................................................................................nothing yet...........................WHY?,if you can hear us,what is the formula based on (you ole windbag)

is it a bastardised form of camarilla?.....just tap once......

Am I on to something in my last post?....not looking for crumbs or handouts here,just tell us everything........

How come this only works on TV?:confused:

Oh wait a minute..he isn't dead yet..there's still a chance he'll turn up.Last I ever heard from him he was painting his porch .....and fending off insults from you....:rofl:

That's very interesting.I think there;s a link to that service somewhere on this site.There are old taylor threads here.Don't hold me too it though,we're going back several years.

I wondered how you were coming up with these numbers...

My instinct is that they could be a similar calculation to how floor pivots are calculated R1 2 3 S 1 2 3 etc. That seems logical Jim. If so,then they are probably just a variation.

If this is so or it is something similar how hard would it be to reverse engineer? How hard would it be to devise something similar? OTHO how close has it been on a daily basis?

Another thought... I wonder if it is based on decaying futures premium forwarded to cash values on a later day somehow...can't quite articulate what I mean

One more thing- WHY? kept saying one thing without explanation....."I continually find new secrets buried within Taylor's book" (something like that didn't he say "nuggets"?.) so maybe it's in there...

I don't recall Taylor talking about fixed stops and that is understanderable in view of the method.It's very much about repeating patterns of movement and it is for the reader to learn how to read a market using these techniques and each trader will set their own stop-you can see why this text is ignored by fans of the superupdowngreenarrow/redarrow90%winningtradesindicator.

As I recall,and I think you mentioned it recently,when you are wrong,get out on the next rally/retrace...makes me wonder what kind of typical range and leverage he was facing/using...

yes i have WHY?'s Software. I suppose he has the calculations because he told me he has the code. As far as accuracy is concerned i find it to be really accurate on sideways movements of the market. It does get off sometimes on strong trends up or down but i have learned that you can employ some different numbers the software includes in its presentation of numbers and basically add or subtract them to arrive at a modified high/low number or even to develop high/low envelopes much like i was posting earlier. All of the calculations are internal and hidden to me ..i am not a programmer.. I just have to manually enter the OHLC and volume and it does everything else. For instance mid day of the RTH i can enter data up to that time of day and the software will let me know if the day rephases at that point. That gives me new trading opportunities based on new strategies. It would be nice if WHY? would give away his software or even sell it cheap. It is old and very manual but it works. He doesn't want the worry of tech support and i think he is afraid of someone sueing him if they lose money using his software..claiming the software didn't work for them. He says taylor trading takes a longtime to learn well and one has to devote the time to really learn it. The software by itself will not make one a successful taylor trader according to WHY? A trader has to internalize taylors rules so they become second nature to him/her in live trading. I guess an example of that is: look at how i messed up yesterday simply because i forgot some of the rules! And i had the software! It has been a long time since i taylor traded. I long since went on to scalping but because of this experiment am exploring the possibility of combining taylor with scalping. Old man WHY? Would probally run me off his porch if he heard me say that!

I would think someone smart young programmer could come up with a means to calculate numbers that would give a projected high/low for the next session. I think a simliar software could be desinged to basically do what ths old rudimentary software does.

I plan on going to Honduras sometime next year i'll talk to WHY?. Maybe he will give me the rights or sell me the rights to his software...he might as well he old...

It is the only pc software i have heard produced around taylors concepts except for that canadian guy and his spreadsheet. At the moment i don't recall coming across any other pc taylor software. If you know of any let me know.

Thanks

Patuca

High End 1692

Low End 1682

Cycle - 9-26 BUY DAY

The irony here is that the recycling count for tomorrow, 9.26.13, is a BUY DAY. A non recycled, continuation count for tomorrow, 9.26.13, is a BUY DAY. It could be that "when it counts--or matters," the recycled count and the continuation count could intersect. But, I don't know whether that intersection happens only at meaningful moments or not, since this speculation is based on a sample size of THE INTERSECTION HAPPENING TOMORROW, 9.26.13, and that's it.

In terms of the recycling application, I think I understand the concept behind its construction but the deeper matter, it seems to me, is not how the count is calculated but the why of it or the philosophic basis for the choice of the recycling vs. the literal continuation of the count.

The irony here is that the recycling count for tomorrow, 9.26.13, is a BUY DAY. A non recycled, continuation count for tomorrow, 9.26.13, is a BUY DAY. It could be that "when it counts--or matters," the recycled count and the continuation count could intersect. But, I don't know whether that intersection happens only at meaningful moments or not, since this speculation is based on a sample size of THE INTERSECTION HAPPENING TOMORROW, 9.26.13, and that's it.

In terms of the recycling application, I think I understand the concept behind its construction but the deeper matter, it seems to me, is not how the count is calculated but the why of it or the philosophic basis for the choice of the recycling vs. the literal continuation of the count.

one can keep a book just like taylor ..no rephasing..and it will work. Basically, what rephasing does is simply help keep you in sync with the market under certain market anomalies. When they happen the software alerts me via a yelow light to hit a recycle button. Many times nothing will change after hitting the button ...other times the day will be rephased. When it rephases the day, for instance, at mid day, of the RTH's, it basically gives the trader the an opportunity for trading that he would not have had he not rephased. And it better syncs the cycle with actual market conditions. However, usually the analomy self corrects in 2 to 4 days and the cycle will be right back in sync with a taylor book that had no rephasing built into it. Does that mae any sense?

In short, rephasing gives more opportunities for trading and better places one in the cycle under momentary abnormal market conditions. That is what i know about rephasing and what i have observed. WHY? Could explain it in better detail. All know is that it is definetly helpful but is not imperative to taylor trading. In the end i get the sense it better keeps one on the right side of the market thereby reducing losses and increasing profits. Taylor did not recycle but imagine the nightmare of doing so when all your books are kept by hand. He did mention the 3 day cycle with sometimes a variation of 4 or 5 days. I think somehow the software must smooth that out in someway? But, i could be wrong.

one can keep a book just like taylor ..no rephasing..and it will work. Basically, what rephasing does is simply help keep you in sync with the market under certain market anomalies. When they happen the software alerts me via a yelow light to hit a recycle button. Many times nothing will change after hitting the button ...other times the day will be rephased. When it rephases the day, for instance, at mid day, of the RTH's, it basically gives the trader the an opportunity for trading that he would not have had he not rephased. And it better syncs the cycle with actual market conditions. However, usually the analomy self corrects in 2 to 4 days and the cycle will be right back in sync with a taylor book that had no rephasing built into it. Does that mae any sense...

This explanation makes sense. Interesting concept. The recycling method seems to represent a break down of the literal continuation count as a series of discrete "set ups" with a particular underscoring of exaggerated OR ATYPICAL conditions THAT REFLECT OR REPLICATE CERTAIN TYPES OF DAYS AT CERTAIN POINTS IN THE CYCLE vs. a fundamental continuity of a 3 day sequence.