Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

parliament718

Stop Loss to Prevent Margin Call

Hi, I opened my first account recently, its really small, just 200 bucks trading microlots with ibfx.

When I put positions before I go to sleep I always use a stoploss. My stop losses are usually tight so I dont worry about margining out. However, tonight my position is slightly larger and slightly wider stop than usual because expecting some whipsawing but Im confident in the forecast.

Can somebody please tell me how to calculate the maximum number of pips I can have my SL to prevent margining out. In other words what is the widest stoploss I can have to ensure I dont get margin-call FIRST (+-slippage)

Because as I understand, being stopped out 5 pips (or more for slippage) before margin call is much preferable to margin call because you dont lose your whole account that way only the unrealized loss you had running whereas margining out blows the entire account (right?)

Thanks a lot

Edited by parliament718

First decide what you want to risk... 1%, 2%, 10%?

For the sake of argument let's say you will risk 2%. You mentioned your acct was $200.

So, 2% of $200 is $4 Now you say you are trading "Micro" lots which I am assuming is

10 cents a pip. to risk 2%, or $4 Dollars, your stop should be 40 pips.

I would be remiss if I did not say don't just assume a 2% risk on every trade. As in let's say, "I don't want to lose more than $4 so I will place my stop 40 pips below. Your stop must be dictated by the chart, a level on the chart where if price goes beyond, you know the trade is not working out the way you had hoped.

IMHO I would switch to a broker like Oanda. You can scale your position size to match your risk tolerance, ie: 1 cent a pip, 8 cents a pip $3000 a pip.

Since you are just getting your feet wet you would not have to pass on a trade because it exceeds your risk level, just scale your position size to accommodate your risk

Hope that made sense. :)

And don't be afraid to ask questions.

First decide what you want to risk... 1%, 2%, 10%?

For the sake of argument let's say you will risk 2%. You mentioned your acct was $200.

So, 2% of $200 is $4 Now you say you are trading "Micro" lots which I am assuming is

10 cents a pip. to risk 2%, or $4 Dollars, your stop should be 40 pips.

I would be remiss if I did not say don't just assume a 2% risk on every trade. As in let's say, "I don't want to lose more than $4 so I will place my stop 40 pips below. Your stop must be dictated by the chart, a level on the chart where if price goes beyond, you know the trade is not working out the way you had hoped.

IMHO I would switch to a broker like Oanda. You can scale your position size to match your risk tolerance, ie: 1 cent a pip, 8 cents a pip $3000 a pip.

Since you are just getting your feet wet you would not have to pass on a trade because it exceeds your risk level, just scale your position size to accommodate your risk

Hope that made sense. :)

And don't be afraid to ask questions.

That was very helpful and I was actually about to switch to oanda soon when I saw their EU spreads were better than ibfx. Thanks for your help!

...IMHO I would switch to a broker like Oanda. You can scale your position size to match your risk tolerance, ie: 1 cent a pip, 8 cents a pip $3000 a pip....

being able to trade in units instead of lots has other advantages.

fifo rules apply to same size positions so you can buy 1000 and 1001 units. on mt4 brokers you have to double the amount (0.01-->0.02)

just like to make a input about trading over weekends, if you do that, the stoploss might not protect you, sometimes there is a Gap, what is a Gap? a Gap is when price close at 10000 at friday and because of bad news during the weekend the price opened at 9000 monday morning, then between 10000 to 9000 there is just air or empty space on the chart so to speak, thats a Gap, a down Gap in this case, let's say you entered a buy position before friday close, with a stoploss at 9500, when monday morning comes you will notice that price gapped down and went well below your stoploss, your stoploss did not execute to take out out of the trade, why did it do that? because your broker was not online to take you out of the trade, they where all at home with their familys, in Forex the market never really close, not even at weekends, only the brokers do, the banks however, might still be doing some trades amongst them selfes, so they are able to move the market even though all the brokers are closed for the weekend. if that happends to you, your broker will probably not compensate you, because thats not their fault, it's just one of those things you need to be aware of. I just thought I'd mention this since you like to enter trades and go to sleep, if you also do that before weekends you might be in for a nasty suprice:)