Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

mohsinqureshii

Demo Trading - Fun or Technique ?

i see if my strategy works.

if it works i practice.

But i haven't got a working strategy till now

Live accounts are not to test the strategy - It is always demo accounts where strategy can be tested. If you don't have a strategy on demo account you will get a lots of problems trading in real account.

Make any strategy in demo account by using Candlestick or line charting and it will help ;-) Keep practicing demo account.

Live accounts are not to test the strategy ...Keep practicing demo account.

Live accounts are the only way to test the strategy. If it’s not worth live forward testing, it’s not worth testing at all…

sim puts all (except for a tiny few) into a false area of ‘tolerable conflict’ and then when they go live, they are immediately forced out of that false area of tolerable conflict. All that sim ‘practice’/ ‘fun’ did help, but realistically so marginally that it nets out to a big waste of time… all the while, these sims are building an internal neural 'network' that makes it progressively less and less likely you will be able to innovate new edges...it's unbelievable the number of developing traders I've watched 'fun' stroke themselves out of this business...

More cautions:

The majority in a poll will vote sim sim

(… and, while it’s not a ‘causal’ relationship… )

The majority of traders are also losers.

Said another way, the ‘many’ / the industry thinks that sim is great for the 'many'… when it’s really only great for a tiny few developing traders and is only truly useful practice for a tiny portion of the universe of systems... it's unbelievable the number of developing traders I've watched fun stroke themselves out of the business...

...yes, mohsinqureshii, I am trying to push buttons... not necessarily yours though...

I chose long ago to internally question and challenge ANYTHING the majority believes and does … which way will you go ?

All the best,

zdo

when it’s really only great for a tiny few developing traders and is only truly useful practice for a tiny portion of the universe of systems...

Yes, I can't imagine anyone wanting to trade a long term trend-following strategy gaining much from simulated trading. Or not unless they wanted to sim trade for about ten years.

My view is a sim account is to work out the methodology, a live account is to work out the emotions.

I totally agree

Yes, I can't imagine anyone wanting to trade a long term trend-following strategy gaining much from simulated trading. Or not unless they wanted to sim trade for about ten years.

I wonder what would be the percentage of traders who use daily charts (ie trade long term) ;)