Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Johnathon

The Truth About Forex Trading

Many traders come to trading with dollar signs in their eyes and dreams of a yacht docking at the Bahamas. Whilst this dream is not unattainable the percentage of traders that are ever going to make that type of money is extremely small.

What can be realistically achieved?

What you will be able to gain out of the market is largely based on the amount of money your trading account has. Someone with $1,000 is going to struggle make decent living and ride out what are inevitable losses that will come, compared to someone with $100,000 who is going to have a far better chance.

It is simple maths that the more money in the trading account the less percentage that the trader has to make, to make a decent living.

Are you kidding yourself?

Are you expecting to open an account with $10,000 and quit your job? If so I think you need to realistically asses your situation.

Example:

Let’s say that you need to make $50,000 per year to make a living.

Account balance A= $10,000 to make $50,000 profit = 500% per annum

Account balance B= $200,000 to make $50,000profit = 25% per annum

As you can see from the above example trader A needs to make 500% yearly to make a living, whilst trader B only needs 25%. This is obviously not including compound interest from within that year however trading on the assumption that you need to make any more that 5% a month is very risky.

Some people will say "only 5% a month". Well 5% a month is 60% per year, and if you add compound interest with the growth of your account it is 80% per year! If you can make 80% per year growth you are doing very well!

How does having unrealistic expectation hurt my account?

Getting rid of unrealistic goals will help you with the mental application of your trading plan. Traders that are trying to reach trading percentages that are large will in most cases do two things;

1. Over trade

2. Risk too much money per trade

Overtrading is a very common mistake made by many traders who are unrealistic in what they can achieve. They operate on the assumption that trading more will make them more. This is in fact is the complete opposite. Trading more will lead them to taking setups that are not worth taking and they will begin to lose.

Risking too much will in most cases lead to an account being blown. Occasionally a trader will get lucky and pull off a large winner. Over time however the same trader can’t keep it up and when the losses come their account is crippled.

What is needed to become consistently profitable?

To become profitable a trader needs to realistically asses their situation. Every trader is different. How they trade and what method they will use will vary greatly from trader to trader. Learning a method such as Price Action trading and perfecting that method will greatly increase the chance a trader will have of making consistent returns in the market.

If a trader can learn to trade Price Action and start using strict money management principles they will set themselves apart from the pack and give themselves a good chance of becoming consistently profitable.

I hope you enjoy this article. It is designed to show you what is possible but at the same time bring you into the correct mindset that is needed in such a competitive market such as Forex.

Safe trading,

Johnathon Fox

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By millonmethod
      Hello everyone!
      I am an advanced trader, with many years of experience (about 15 years - 10 living exclusively from this)
      I am going to give you some tips that you must know:
      There are going to be many people who tell you that trade is easy, that with only crossiing a line  with another one you will win a lot of money.... and that´s not true.  No, Sir, reality is far away from that. Many people who start arrive here with the hope that someone "gives them" a free method, they watch youtube videos thinking that this will give them the "strategy" and in a few days they realize that it does not work for them - they lose money - and then They go looking for a new one ... and so on. YES, IT´S TRUE YOU EARN IN TRADING, A LOT. BUT THINK: for a few to win (10% + any BROKER) many others must lose (90% people). YOU MUST HAVE A MONEY MANAGMENT FORMULA ( you can email me) People study so many years to live on this, not because they are dumb, but to know what they do, when, and have absolute effectiveness. It´s very easy to get lost here: do not disperse, jumping from one to another strategy WILL NEVER give you money, it will only waste your time and make you nervous when trading. PEOPLE WHO CHANGE THEIR METHOD CONSTANTLY : LOOOOSE ALWAYS.   If you have the knowledge to develop it, take your time and do it.  Always try it first on DEMO for at least 2 weeks! If not: search to buy a solid strategy (no you tube videos pleassse ! Avoid losing money! ) This is like any business, it requires some capital to start (capital = money in the broker + solid made /purchased strategy) If you are lost: I RECOMMEND YOU NOT TO WASTE TIME IN YOUTUBE, JOIN PEOPLE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCE AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUY A METHOD ... PLEASE !!!! DO NOT BUY 10 BAD AND CHEAP METHODS, SAVE MONEY AND BUY ONLY 1 BUT EXCLUSIVE AND MUST ALLWAYS HAVE SUPPORT !!!!!  Do not buy Signals! They never keep up with constant profits! One week will win and the next will lose. Nothing that does not depend absolutely on you will give you the money you are looking for. And if you do not have a strategy (made or purchased) do not even try PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE: DO NOT USE REAL MONEY! AT LEAST 2 WEEK DEMO FREE HELP HERE!!!!!  IF YOU FOLLOW MY ADVICE YOU WILL BE PART OF THAT 10% WINNER, email me.
      Have a nice trading day

• By jason.lee
      How to reduce eroding Forex slippages? Slippage is more likely to occur in times of higher volatility (perhaps due to market events) and it makes a market order at a specific price impossible to execute. Such times are when large orders are executed, when market orders are used and when there is not enough interest at the desired price level to keep the expected trade price. 

Slippage is neither negative or positive movements, it is simply the difference between the expected purchase price and actual executed price. Since the corresponding securities are bought and sold at the most favorable price available, an order can result differently. In this situation, most forex dealers will execute the trade at the next best price.  In forex world, the market prices changes fast and the slippage happens in times of delay between the order placed and its completion. 

Slippage is the difference between the expected filled price of a trade and the actual price filled. In other words, when your trade is executed at a worse price than requested, so it is “slipping” from the original order price. It happens between the time that a trader enters the trade and the time the trade is made. It can happen to everyone in any given trading market; stock, currency, or commodity.

This may be caused by an ineffective broker, increased liquidity and fast market. The forex market is very liquid and there are limited amounts of slippage.

Share your Idea Please
      Thanks!
    • By FXTechstrategyT
      EURUSD: Backs Off Lower Prices, Eyes More Strength
      EURUSD: The pair looks to extend its recovery triggered the past week in the new week. On the upside, resistance comes in at 1.1750 level with a cut through here opening the door for more upside towards the 1.1800 level. Further up, resistance lies at the 1.1850 level where a break will expose the 1.1900 level. Conversely, support lies at the 1.1700 level where a violation will aim at the 1.1650 level. A break of here will aim at the 1.1600 level. Below here will open the door for more weakness towards the 1.1550. All in all, EURUSD faces further upside pressure.
    • By LindsayBev
      Hello!  I am new to this forum.  I am interested in learning about candlestick reading.  I would appreciate hearing from any that will answer this post WHICH book you found the most helpful?  
    • By trading4life
      Hello, My name is trading4life.
      I just joined this forum.
  • Topics

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.