Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

RealDemo

Sopa/pipa

Two pieces of American legislation that, if passed, could change dramatically our internet freedoms, and not just in America.

This, I believe, is very important stuff. It would effect everybody, and the questions it poses are far reaching. This is far more than a bill to protect copyright. It is a power grab for more control and censorship generated by fear.

Here is a link to a run down of the bill in detail...... and the devil is in the detail:

http://mashable.com/2012/01/17/sopa-dangerous-opinion/

Here is the White House view: https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/veto-sopa-bill-and-any-other-future-bills-threaten-diminish-free-flow-information/g3W1BscR?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

I also consider that Sopa/pipa bill is against internet freedom. Like this, some other countries may take same decision against US websites. Wikipedia has gone for blackout and some other popular websites and search engines are going to against it. Thanks to share these sources with us.

There is still a lot of elected support for this legislation across the states, here's an interesting map:

Congressional Support/Opposition of SOPA

Google have amassed a staggering 4.5 million signatures on their petition against this.

"There’s no need to make American social networks, blogs and search engines censor the Internet or undermine the existing laws that have enabled the Web to thrive, creating millions of U.S. jobs," the petition reads. "Too much is at stake -– please vote NO on PIPA and SOPA."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzqMoOk9NWc]SOPA and PIPA - YouTube[/ame]

If you are doing internet searches, you never know what kind of a webpage is going to pop up when clicking a search link. One thing you can do is run your Web Browser in 'Sandboxed' mode. Sandbox mode restricts all the files that get written to your hard drive from the internet. There is a free Sandbox program named Sandboxie.

Sandboxie

I think it's important to suggest solutions to the problems of internet abuse and misuse. Governments will often implement solutions that could be dangerous to the citizens freedom, if that power was used inappropriately. The public can do an excellent job 'policing' things like the internet themselves, IF they have the tools available to them. I would like to see Internet Service Providers and email providers like Google, and Yahoo, provide ways to report misuse and abuse in a very easy way, and make the reports public. So if 1000 people complained about spam from a certain email address, it would be publicly available information, and could be used as proof to investigate.

I don't want censorship, but I don't want SPAM either. I think the solution is to make it very easy to report misuse and abuse. Of course, it's already possible to report abuse, but I have serious doubts about how serious it's taken or what is actually done.

Maybe the issue is tracking the source down. If that's the problem, then make it easier to track the source down.

DOJ shuts down Megaupload website in New Zealand.....without SOPA law.

So after a very long time trying to convince it's citizens yet again that the world is a bad place and America needs more and more power to deal with it...... it does whatever it wants anyway!

Shooting yourself in the foot while giving a big fat one finger salute to the world.