Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

ratmpower

Library to Recognize Chart Pattern

Instead of looking at the chart for every single stock and trying to identity the chart patterns, I am looking for programmatic library that can automatically do this for me. Does anyone know of any such library?

Instead of looking at the chart for every single stock and trying to identity the chart patterns, I am looking for programmatic library that can automatically do this for me. Does anyone know of any such library?

There are a number of stock filtering applications online but none of them filter on stock patterns, only on fundamentals. Even Tradestation, which has a stock filtering capability requires you to have significant knowledge of its language and indicators to be able to create meaningful filters.

With that said, why trade stocks which has over 10,000 different ones, a maximum of 4:1 leverage when you can just trade the 4 major currency pairs and watch the economic indicators? You can get up to 100:1 leverage as well so the opportunity to make sustainable income is much greater.

Last, there is no substitute for hard work in making yourself an expert in whatever field you choose.

I have traveled before in this path so thought of giving some options that I have come across. I am not sure which platform you have or if you are already aware of the options listed below.

1) Think or Swim : You can actually sign up for a demo account to download the desktop and check it out. Has an option called 'Prophet' in which you can search for one or many patterns for a given List. For a matching stock, it will show you all the applicable patterns. I have not used it that much, pattern recognition is not that great but as i said none of them are perfect. Available chart patterns :Triangles, Wedges, Pennant, Flags, H&S, Channels etc . There are also different candle stick patterns available.

I use Tradestation as brokerage. But I have a ToS account because i like there option platform and also you can listen to free pit noise (tradersaudio).

2) RampRT:

Real Time Chart Pattern Recognition Alerts

Chart Pattern Recognition Forex and Stock Screener Finds Chart Patterns Fast

There are two versions , EOD and Realtime. Realtime is subscription based + needs dat package, where as EOD is one time $99. EOD does not need any data subscription since it takes data from Yahoo or Google. in EOD version you can also run pattern reecho on Weekly charts. You can run search for only one pattern at a time on the list but for the matching stocks, you can save the list and run the next pattern search only on that list. I like this one a lot because it has something called 'Bob charts' which basically shows the channels, trendiness for all the symbols. Chart Patterns: Support Line Touch,Support Line Break,Resistance Line Touch,Resistance Line Break,Fully Automatic Trend Lines,Fibonacci Retracements (any level).Fibonacci Extensions (any level),Linear Regression Channels,Head and Shoulders,Cup and Handles,Confirmed W Bottoms,Early Double Bottoms,Confirmed M Tops,Early Double Tops.

You can check out the videos on website, also there is a Trial version which doesn't require any CC info

3) If you are more of a FIb pattern guy, you can check out Scott Carneys website for his software. Its pretty neat in identifying different harmonic patterns ( AB=CD , Bat , Butterfly, Crab & Gartley , etc )

Welcome to Harmonic Trader

4) If you are interested only in ABC pattern and have TradeStation, take a look at the Radar screen ABC pattern reecho from Suri. His Website:

suriNotes.com, suriNotes, Stock Research, Futures Trading, Emini Trading, Tradestation, Indicators.

This is the best you can get for ABC and it is very robust. You can refer to the website for more details

5) If you interested in Candlestick patterns , check out Stockfetcher.com

P.S: I am not recommending any of the above. I am not affiliated with any of the above nor get any commission (I wish I did :)). I have TOS, RampRt EOD version, Suris ABC. I had trial version of HarmonicAnalyzer that I did not extend and tried stockfetcher for a while.

patternsite.com you may like to visit

Yes, forgot about http://www.thepatternsite.com/patternz.html.

Advantage is that the software is for free. You need to pay ~ 15 0r 20 per year for data. Disadvantage is that it wont run on Win 7. So if you have all Win 7 machines, then you need to somehow install a different OS (using dual boot or using virtual box etc).

Yes, forgot about http://www.thepatternsite.com/patternz.html.

Advantage is that the software is for free. You need to pay ~ 15 0r 20 per year for data. Disadvantage is that it wont run on Win 7. So if you have all Win 7 machines, then you need to somehow install a different OS (using dual boot or using virtual box etc).

If running Windows 7 the compatibility mode usually permits older programs to work.

Guys, thanks for the info. finviz.com also has some filters based on chart pattern. What I am looking for is something little different. I do not want software, but rather a programming library (in any language such as C++/Java/Perl).

I would use this library to set up an automatic trading strategy. I already have some automated strategies running at http://www.strategyard.com/, but so far all my strategies are based on technical indicators (SMA, RSI etc) as they are easy to calculate. But I still have to figure out a way to include chart patterns (wedge, head & shoulder etc) into my strategy.

Amibroker is a fixed cost of $279 which includes about 3 upgrade cycles. Then it's like $125 or so to get another 3 after that and so on. So no monthly "pay the rent" or "lifetime for $1300+" expense.

Then, there's a 3rd party add-on for 149 Euros at patternexplorer.com that sounds like what you want. You can scan in real-time.

If you already have a datafeed which gives you 100+ symbols then you're set and can get on with the trading.

I use StockFetcher.com to scan for patterns. It is cheap, only $9 a month. You can try it for free. Here is the link for the Flash Version. It has a pattern seach for common patterns such as triangles and channels.

Someone mentioned PatternSite. There is a free windows app on the site you can download to do the search for patterns is free, but it is a pain to use since you have to download data, import it, and run a scan. It can take a long time.

you are a vendor,

you should know better.

is you question a prelude to a structured answer? (ie a spam or a promotion or your associated site?)

Neoticker has a pretty powerful pattern scanner as well -

Why Use Pattern Scanner?

Pattern Scanner, especially its ability to utilize multiple indicators in its scan, is very useful for the detection of complex setups.

Pattern Scanner is also very flexible in terms of its ability to chain the scanning, send its results to quote window, etc. Making it the tool of choice to identify trading opportunities across many symbols.

Checkout the link for the complete topic -

Understanding the Pattern Scanners | NeoTicker Blog