Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

pipsaholic

4 Hour Candlestick Range Time

Hi,

I am considering moving over to the 4 hour charts however I need someone experience on approximately how long it takes for the RANGE of the bar to develop approxametely. I know it could take UPTO 4 hours but is that reality?

like some traders the bulk of the range can be completed in the first 5 mins, other times it takes the full 4 hours.

sounds like you might be more interested in looking at range bars?

I don't think there's a standard answer to that question. If you want an average time over a specific period for a particular product, you need to download the data and do some work in excel. However, I'm not sure that the average would give you a particularly useful metric.

Hi,

I am considering moving over to the 4 hour charts however I need someone experience on approximately how long it takes for the RANGE of the bar to develop approxametely. I know it could take UPTO 4 hours but is that reality?

4 hr charts are great for trends of 4-7 days. more important imo is volume, learn how to use volume profiless and a great link is tradeguider.com.

are you around chicagoland?

ron

Any bar, whatever the time, is not finished until it closes. Just observe how many times bars can transform themselves in the final moments before a close. If you are trying to gauge the market before the 4 hour bar ends then it seems you need to work on a lower time.

As suggested above, analyze the 5 minute breakdown of the 4 hour bars if you want to understand what is happening. But as also mentioned above, there really is no useful point in trying to average out or similar... take each bar as it is, going to a lower time fractal if you are getting impatient. I work on 5 minute bars for placing and managing trades but also have the 1 minute and 15 minutes for reference. (And like to see the 1 hour and daily charts too for the bigger picture.)

Hi,

Everything works...

but you should have a higher time frame chart as your anchor chart...

For example if you are playing with a 5 minute chart you should have a 15 minute chart as your anchor chart

if you are playing with a 1 hour chart....you should have a 4 hour chart as your anchor chart.

And you should have discipline...

decide what is your take profit/ stop loss / position size

do not deviate from these three .

Dont get carried away....

Hi,

You can determine this with a backtest.