Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Today’s early signs of life in the market were arguably due to the large drop in the Euro. And by “early signs of life” I mean the drop of US equities at the open. We don’t care which way it moves, just as long as “something” is happening. Sadly, when the Euro slowed its trading pace, which usually occurs @ 1-1:30pm CT, the mini-S&P slowed as well. In fact, the S&P traded in about a 5-pt range from mid-morning into the close.

Some folks were perplexed: “Why is the Euro falling? Wasn’t the Italian auction excellent?” Yes it was; however, it was only an auction for 6-month Bills. Heck, I’ll bet even Greece, California, and Illinois can auction off 6-month Bills. Nevertheless, the yield demanded by investors was 50% lower than the Nov. 25th auction.

What probably worried the markets were the recent actions of European banks and Thursday’s next Italian auction.

This morning’s news from the European Central Bank shows us that (ECB) overnight deposits swelled to a record high of €455 billion. Why would banks park their money at the ECB and get 0.25% when it costs 1%? Isn’t that a guaranteed loss? Doesn’t this imply rather forcefully that the banksters know there is another shoe ready to drop? It sure seems like it, and that’s why I believe the Euro fell apart today.

So what could be that other “shoe to drop?” Well, if there is one, it suggests that the bankers know they will not be buying the Italian junk…pardon, debt…and therefore the trading desks slammed the Euro and bought “safety” in the US dollar.

Perhaps they know something else entirely? Is a major downgrade of sovereign debt coming to a EuroZone country and that caused the move in the Euro/Dollar? Thursday could be interesting.

Larry Levin

Founder & President - Trading Advantage

In fact, the S&P traded in about a 5-pt range from mid-morning into the close.

Why would banks park their money at the ECB and get 0.25% when it costs 1%? Isn’t that a guaranteed loss? Doesn’t this imply rather forcefully that the banksters know there is another shoe ready to drop? It sure seems like it, and that’s why I believe the Euro fell apart today.

Larry Levin

Founder & President - Trading Advantage

1. Its the Christmas holiday if you havent noticed, so that explains why there is little activity

2. You arent seriously suggesting a bank would borrow money at 1% to invest at 0.25% are you? Perhaps you should take a break too if I have understood you correctly. Otherwise, I dont understand where you imply the 1% cost is coming from.

It may interest you to know that the Europeans don't buy in to the rat race idea (sorry, I mean American Dream) as much as the Americans. Trading floors will be running a skeleton staff only until Jan 3rd. Therefore you will see little activity just like there is less activity during a lunch hour - and if there is activity it usually just to bully the market to take stops.

No one would take a serious position at the moment for 1 simple reason: lack of liquidity due to the holiday.

Sometimes the simpler examples are the best. Thats my Secret Trading Tip #65!!!

You can have that Trading Advantage advise for free too!!

Enjoy your holiday.

Ya I don't credit much of what goes on this past week up until the second week of January since most of the price action occurs on low volume and thin markets, closing positions at the end of the year and preparing new positions at the onset of January. Ironically it was pretty technical (the Euro that is).