Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Octavian

Beginning Questions

Hello, i am starting to learn about trading with a view to becoming a swing trader trading in stocks over weeks and up to a month or two. So far i have been using the internet for as much research as i can but id like to start learning by doing, by papertrading on my macbook.

I have a few queries concerning this;

should i papertrade through ninjatrader using parallels or bootcamp

or use think or swim, even though i am from UK and it doesnt support the uk for somereason . id just sign up as US.

?

more over could you give me some basic advice for starting out ?

and direction i should aim my studying towards? please swathe some of my naivety :)

Thanks in advance

I dont use those systems - so no comment.

I would say one thing - when starting - save your money for trading - there is a lot of information for free on the net - you just need to do the homework. Once you are versed in something and might like to find out more about it then maybe spend some money, expand your horizons and book shelves into those books many recommend.

Paying money for a quick fix usually wont work.

Otherwise, the only other thing you will learn about the markets is that it is entirely up to YOU, in terms of what work you will do, what strategy suits you, how much time, effort and energy you wish to put into it, and then how you can react, adapt to and cope with the many trade offs that trading of any strategy puts in front of you.

If you go to CBOE.com and look at the Tools Tab, you'll find 3 paper trading platforms to choose from. In addition, most brokerage platforms allow paper trading as well, so you have many choices.

I would shop a little bit and settle on a broker that you will use for real trading in the future. If that excludes thinkorswim (my fav) because you're in UK, then so be it. I've used Options Express and think highly of it. Trade Monster gets lots of good marks.

If you are just doing stock swing trading then complex options aren't a factor in choosing the platform. So pick something you're comfortable with longer term. Any broker can do swing trading.

I'm personally not a fan of parallels or vmware, and there are plenty of native mac choices, so I would choose one of those. If you do want to use a Windows emulator, invest a few bucks in more memory; i think that will help your performance and stability.

john

The forex-trading websites are run through certain trading software programs for making the trading simple and easy for their and traders. They always try to add new feature to their trading plan to attract new as well as existing traders and . If you are interested to participate in the forex trading program, you can select any of the trading website according to your preference.

you can't sign up with Thinkorswim if you are not a US citizen, they won't allow it because of some new rules and regulations, one would expect that a poor economy as US would welcome cashflow from the outside, but strangely eough no. I wouldn't lie about my nationality, you might find that they close your acount in your face when they find out.

there are plenty of other brokers to trade with, Thinkorswim are mainly a Options broker,

so if you will not trade Options you might want to use another broker anyway.