Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

mslk

When Do You Add to a Position?

hi,

i'm an intraday stock trader and i've never had a problem cutting my losses. but i could use a little guidance when it comes to taking more advantage from my winners. i know one option is to add on dips. do you ever add to a position if it starts working right after you buy it? would love to hear from all intraday traders, regardless of instrument.

thanks

- mslk

hi,

i'm an intraday stock trader and i've never had a problem cutting my losses. but i could use a little guidance when it comes to taking more advantage from my winners. i know one option is to add on dips. do you ever add to a position if it starts working right after you buy it? would love to hear from all intraday traders, regardless of instrument.thanks

- mslk

In short term trading you add to winners at the end of a reaction, the beginning of the next action and only when you have enough equity in your position to move your stop to at least a break even on the first position and only after an initial move has proved your entry correct.

Averaging down or adding to a loser can't be considered in short term trading and probably shouldn't be considered in longer term trading.

Remember what Paul Tudor Jones said, "Losers add to Losers."

cheers

In short term trading you add to winners at the end of a reaction, the beginning of the next action and only when you have enough equity in your position to move your stop to at least a break even on the first position and only after an initial move has proved your entry correct.

Averaging down or adding to a loser can't be considered in short term trading and probably shouldn't be considered in longer term trading.

Remember what Paul Tudor Jones said, "Losers add to Losers."

cheers

when you say 'end of a reaction, the beginning of the next action', do you mean when the trend is in a consolidating phase? what, if any, indicators do have you found to be useful here to help identify this?

thanks

-mslk

hi,

i'm an intraday stock trader and i've never had a problem cutting my losses. but i could use a little guidance when it comes to taking more advantage from my winners. i know one option is to add on dips. do you ever add to a position if it starts working right after you buy it? would love to hear from all intraday traders, regardless of instrument.

thanks

- mslk

It's simple...add only when you get another valid trade signal and manage each add independently. Also, only add to profitable positions. Further, if you're a consistently profitable trader...you can add to a losing position but the add must have been planned at a specific price prior to the trade entry.

Trading decisions are based on all the variables involved, not just the stock's price movement. One variable, of course, is the time frame the trader is accustomed to. If you are a short-term, high-frequency trader, then you may choose to take small profits, or losses, several time per day. If you look at multiday time frames, then you should set price targets, for profits and losses both.

MMS

hi,

thanks

- mslk

Hi,

Using a simplified Elliott Wave count, I add to my positions at the end of waves 2 and 4 (also referred to as corrections or consolidations). However, not every chart shows easy to recognize Elliott Waves, but when they do it is awesome to trade the waves.

678133_f496.jpg

Once a Wave 2 or 4 is recognized, I go down to a 4 times lower timeframe. Next I will draw trendlines over the tops/under the bottoms of a wave 2 or 4. Once both the trendline gets broken AND the latest swing high/low are exceeded I add to my position. Stoplosses are to be put a few ticks below/above the before mentioned wave 2 or 4.

Hope this helps.

Happy Trading!

Cheers,

Peter a.k.a. Dutchie

How does the fact that you own the stock enter into your decision to buy it (or buy more)? Do you think that the stock knows that you own it? Do you think that the stock trades differently because you own it? If I own a stock that is a winner, will that make your more likely to buy it? Or, does that logic only apply to stocks owned by you or your "inner circle"?