Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Freddie

$10 Dow, $5 Dow match

I currently am using Interactive Brokers to trade and am looking at moving into the Dow futures. I read that most brokers match your long and shorts for the $10 and $5 Dow futures so that you can buy say 1 $10 Dow future and then sell 2 $5 futures and you are even on all trades. From my correspondence with IB they don't allow this. What brokers are you aware of that allow this?

thx,

Fred

Maybe I did not explain myself. I enter long the $10 Dow future at say 12500. At 12600 I decide to take half profits so I sell one $5 Dow future. At 12650 my exit signal kicks in so I sell another $5 Dow future.

So I've bought 1 $10 dow future and sold 2 $5 dow futures. Interactive Brokers does not match them so that at the end of the day I've got 1 long $10 dow future and short 2 $5 dow futures. Some brokers balance them at the end of the day from what I've heard so that you would have no outstanding trades left.

I'm looking for a broker that matches these futures. I hope this better explains it.

thx,

Wouldn't the commissions for the $10 Dow be more then the ym, thus negating any savings? I think the $10 is the pit traded contract, but I could be wrong. I would check the commission schedule though. I know that the mini's are generally cheaper then the full counter-part ( eg take a look at the Euro-Fx (full contract vs the euro mini).

It's possible the slippage will be bigger in big Dow due to lack of volume. Have you verify if there is slippage bigger than in smaller Dow, just a thought.

Not really, I trade the big dow DD contract, and I haven't yet gotten bad slippage. Expect though a wide spread of $150-200 / contract, so your stop has to be pretty big for even 1 contract just to avoid whipsaw.

The $10.00 is available for overnight GLOBEX and pit during the day. It's pretty useless for me.

DD is a great weapon but it would be nice to see more than 90 trades in 1 day. Why is it such a bloody flop after all this time. I would think - anything to do with the dow would be attacked.

i am pretty sure the big dow (25) *is* fungible with the mini dow (5).

this would offer the same opp that the original trader desired, in terms of commissions saving - they would be very nice

consider that if you buy 2 big dows (equivalent of 10 minis) you pay about $4 to be long 10 contracts vs. $20. that is a MAJOR commissions savings

the problem is that commission is only really a big issue when you are scalping. if you are going for 3-8 points or so, it's much more significant than if you are going for 15+

and since the big dow has such terrible spread, it's non scalpable

i am also pretty sure that the big dow is fungible with the mini through IB. not 100% sure though :)