Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

BAK

Best Beginning Software

I was just wondering what is an affordable and usable software package for the beginning trader?

Thanks,

BAK

Amibroker is cheap and great exploration tool- its scripting language is very easy.

Ninjatrader is free and great automated trading tool, and comes with extensive COM libraries.

Both have lot of support groups on internet.

ninja is free, and is programmable. lots of tutorial and examples on their website.

multicharts has 2 versions.

the free one is not programmable.

the paid one can be programmed using easylanguage.

It also depends on the data you are going to be using real-time or end of day. I dont think Ninja is free from real-time data.

ninja program is free, you have to get your own datafeed, either through your broker, or sign up with a dedicated dataprovider.

the paid version of ninja allows you to autotrade.

It also depends on the data you are going to be using real-time or end of day. I dont think Ninja is free from real-time data.

NinjaTrader has built in free EOD data courtest of Kinetick - Streaming real time quotes and historical market data. For real-time data, one must either purchase a subscription to a market data service such as Kinetick, use it with an existing brokerage account or request a free market data trial from a NinjaTrader supporting brokerage.

if you are a beginner the best software is pencil and paper or a spreadsheet.

i have been at this for years and KISS.

computers have made the majority of people lazy.

I have to agree with these comments. I confess, I have stacks of notebooks with manually calculated daily ranges, ave true ranges, ave failed moves, commitments of traders positions and the like. I've always thought calculating moves and charting a few instruments manually, kept me (my mind) more in tune with significant levels/prices like daily and weekly highs and lows. Keeping a note pad with a crude pencil drawn chart on my desk seems to embed these levels deeper into my mind than an orange or yellow line across a chart. e.g. can you remember last weeks high and low of the instrument you're trading without looking at your chart?

if you are a beginner the best software is pencil and paper or a spreadsheet.

i have been at this for years and KISS.

computers have made the majority of people lazy.

Hello bootstrap,

Just read your post. i am agree with you. i am going with spreadsheet :)