Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

PQL111

Calculting This is Impossiable

How do you calculate wavelength for a stock ?

wavelenght is (velocity/frequency) = wavelength, but this can be highly consfusing because the way to calculate frequency is basically the same as velocity.

Lets say $19.95/78 Days = 0.255 Frequency Rate

The problem is velocity is also measure this way which is percent or price difference divided by time.

wavelenght is (velocity/frequency) = wavelength, but this can be highly consfusing because the way to calculate frequency is basically the same as velocity.

The problem is velocity is also measure this way which is percent or price difference divided by time.

a6981ae8696689f0aa9e480ef42fae86.png

f85122e79a389cdfb4dc67ee3c067c13.png

Velocity is the Rate of Change in a certain direction. E.g. $19.95 - $19.78 = $0.17 cent change. So 17 cents would be the change, and it is positive. Speed is something different. Speed is the Rate of Change for a specific unit of time. So I would call your example:

$19.95/78 Days = 0.255

Speed. I wouldn't call it velocity.

Frequency is how many times a certain occurrence happens per a unit of time. But with trading what is the occurrence going to be? If the occurrence is every time the price hits $19.95, then it might hit that number again, or it may never hit that number again. You could define the occurrence as every time price moves 2 standard deviations of the maximum average price move over the last week. (I have no idea if that suggestion I just made is legitimate or not, I'm just throwing a suggestion out there.) My point is, find an occurrence that happens very, very regularly that you can count on. Then you could also check for outlying data that is not within the normal operating range.

Once you decide on the occurrence you want to check for, and figure out a way to calculate it, then you can calculate the frequency. So write a program that counts how many times there is a price move greater than or equal to 10 cents over the last 30 minutes. That is your frequency.

So before you can calculate the wavelength, I'd think that you would need to first determine what occurrence you are going to be checking for frequency. Then calculate the frequency, then plug in the velocity.

A bro the equation for wavelength is (speed/frequency) or is it (velocity/frequency) ?

I have also heard that velocity is really the same but given a certain direction like East.

That does not apply to wavelenght, but I have seen the equation for wavelenght as velocity/frequency. In certain places I have seen it as © constant speed/frequency, so it makes it all confusing. I would consider taking alternatives since we're talking stock price data. wiki presents it the way I am describing it..........and the problem it seems to me is that Gann is really considering 0.255 as vibration rate or frequency.

The way you describe it seem to be an alternative soloution ethier way for figuring out other important data anyways. Not unless a stock has a individual or natural vibration rate as a stand alone. I am coming off his 1909 ticker interview from his student Mr. Smith. I'll do some experimenting and test to see what works appears as coincidence to see if it can hint me a clue. Thanks labrats