Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TheNegotiator

Sierra Chart the Real Deal?

Yes, you can run net and non net versions in different folders.

I typically run 2 copies of SC for trading only one of which updates the data for the symbol (the other relies on the first to have updated the data file). You can also have seperate data files for each copy. And they can be different revisions of SC as well as net vs non-net. They can also use different data providers. It's designed to be flexible.

If nothing is happening I may open another SC for system development so 3 isn't unusual for me. Others seem to go far further.

At the moment there isn't anything I need the chart trading to do differently. It seems intuitive to me and lets me manage things as I like.

I think Ninja is much more heavily into the net framework than Sierra ever was so there is probably more potential for issues. I havent used ninja for years so I don't really know.

Yes, you can run net and non net versions in different folders.

I typically run 2 copies of SC for trading only one of which updates the data for the symbol (the other relies on the first to have updated the data file). You can also have seperate data files for each copy. And they can be different revisions of SC as well as net vs non-net. They can also use different data providers. It's designed to be flexible.

If nothing is happening I may open another SC for system development so 3 isn't unusual for me. Others seem to go far further.

At the moment there isn't anything I need the chart trading to do differently. It seems intuitive to me and lets me manage things as I like.

I think Ninja is much more heavily into the net framework than Sierra ever was so there is probably more potential for issues. I havent used ninja for years so I don't really know.

Great info, thank you for sharing. What do you use the second copy for? I have started testing SC and I like most of it, though also dislike some things about it, mostly how unintuitive some of the settings/options are, syncing them between installs, and how difficult/untuitive it is to set up the ATMs/Attached Orders, compared to NT.

Great info, thank you for sharing. What do you use the second copy for? I have started testing SC and I like most of it, though also dislike some things about it, mostly how unintuitive some of the settings/options are, syncing them between installs, and how difficult/untuitive it is to set up the ATMs/Attached Orders, compared to NT.

A second copy lets me trade the same thing with no connection to the first (different client id numbers). A third copy runs on a different timezone for forex trading so that I see the world from a european viewpoint.

Synching between new copies is just a matter of copying critical files across. sierra3.cfg, accounts.config, plus some others ... look at what changed most recently when you shut sc down.

Yeah, I am not entirely fond of some elements of the attached order logic. You tend to get used to what you use a lot over time.

A second copy lets me trade the same thing with no connection to the first (different client id numbers). A third copy runs on a different timezone for forex trading so that I see the world from a european viewpoint.

Synching between new copies is just a matter of copying critical files across. sierra3.cfg, accounts.config, plus some others ... look at what changed most recently when you shut sc down.

Yeah, I am not entirely fond of some elements of the attached order logic. You tend to get used to what you use a lot over time.

By same thing with no connection to the first, do you mean simultaneously trade the same instrument in opposing directions, through different accounts? I was wondering if/how you could do that in SC, as I know you can in Ninja through 2 different DOMs by selecting different ATM strategies.

Do you know if SC is also capable of replicating trade execution/orders/management through multiple accounts? ie place trade in one account, identical trade/orders automatically show up in another account?