Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Maxwell

You're Favorite Techinical Indicators - List Them

Hi all!

If you have a favorite indicator that you use please share it with us! List your indicator and a brief description how how you apply that indicator to your trading. Thanks! :)

I use a combination of stochastics on multiple timeframes. I trade using the 10min, 3min, and 1min timeframe. Whenever 3 stochastics point in the same direction, I will place a trade.

Price is my indicator :) I stopped using technical indicators years ago. Now the only tools I use are market internal tools such as the TICK, TRIN, prem, and PC ratio. I also use market profile and pivot points. Read this thread to learn more about my trading techniques.

Do you use PC ratio real time or at fixed intervals?

I use the PC ratio in real-time. I use it as a warning tool to judge the number of longs vs shorts. If the pc ratio is high, it means that everybody is short. If everyone is short there is no one else left to sell.

Therefore, I can use this signal to find long setups.

If the PC ratio is low, it means that everybody is long. There is no one left to buy so I will look for a short signal. It use it as a contrary opinion tool.

The key levels on the pc ratio I look for is 0.6 and 1.0.

Note: Stay away from it during options expiration week. This indicator becomes unreliable.

The only indicators I use are a wma and a parabolic sar for forex. I mainly view price,and use the wma for confirmation and sar for hard stop placement (although I don't follow the sar exactly, too obvious for price spikes to take you out). I don't get much fancier than that.

Guest graeme

moving averages and pivot points on multiple timeframes:)

I've found having multiple timeframes up at once to be the biggest help to my trading.

Guest wrleenh

Mine are simple: RSI and Bollinger Bands. Love 'em. My systems look for RSI moving up from very low levels, often from below the lower Bollinger Band and crossing over it. Tell me what you think of this site that I just got up and running. The systems I use there all focus on RSI.

Would welcome your feedback!

wrleenh is a spammer.

Beware. A friend of mine bought his letters and that was only the entry price. The real price was all the losing trades. Like all spammers he can't trade, can't design systems and just takes people for a ride to spammer generated hell.

Don't be a fool like my friend and get sucked in ... stay away from these scum!

All of my indicators are custom. I use an equal combination of oscillating and trend type tools and not the kind that clutter up the price action.

Price is always the primary indicator. Also, unlike classic indicators, I write most of my indicators based on identifying reliable patterns and capitalizing on "why" the market is doing what it is.

Mine is simple as they come. A moving average and candlestick patterns. I dont use candlestick patterns as they are taught in books (eg reversals). I use them in a way to trend follow. I did use candles as reversals and getting run over by the train (trend) over and over again isnt really a good feeling. So i figured why not get on the train (trend) instead of getting in front of it and hoping for a reversal. Not to say reversals dont work, they just didnt fit my personality.

Mine is simple as they come. A moving average and candlestick patterns. I dont use candlestick patterns as they are taught in books (eg reversals). I use them in a way to trend follow. I did use candles as reversals and getting run over by the train (trend) over and over again isnt really a good feeling. So i figured why not get on the train (trend) instead of getting in front of it and hoping for a reversal. Not to say reversals dont work, they just didnt fit my personality.

What type of M A are you using?

my favorite technical indicators for intraday futures are TICK, TRIN, Advance/Decline, Pivot levels, keltner/BB squeeze, volume, volume delta, tape reading and market profile levels.

i don't use any lagging indicators on intraday time frame, apart from the BB/Keltner thang which i use sometimes. I use it as much as a filter (to keep me out of low probability trades) as a trading signal in and of itself

on daily and longer time frames, I use Macd, BB/keltner

i also pay strong attention in my screens to short interest.

Swing trading stocks I use pivots, MP, and good ol basic price (candlesticks) and volume action.

If your trading stocks having an ear open to any upcoming company announcements helps....especially if you know directors!

I trade YM, but look at ES NQ and ER2 for intermarket relationship.

use Trader's Pivot and P&F chart for SR

Use tick,MaketDalta, average Volume per bar and tape for entry.

Guest TRex

Before I traded using price only, I had a slew of technical indicators, most of which have been mentioned here. Dropping those comfort tools was really a challenge until I overlayed those technical entry signals with the price action signals I learned.

What I discovered was that my "old" entries (which usually required multiple confirmations from a variety of indicators) were anywhere from 1/2 to 2 ES points behind the price action triggers. That's a huge difference which I now, in retrospect, view as slippage. That slippage went right into the pockets of the pros who took the other side.

In the ultra-competitive game of ES day trading, one can't afford to give that much up and hope to consistently turn a profit.

Guest Fulcrum

I LOVE THIS ALSO!!! I use this as my main filter to the felton trading MACD and STOCH indicators that I use for all of my trading. Investor r/t has a very nice charting package imo.