Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

shooly76

Backtesting?

I use NT7...I know there are tuturials on this...but I need a shove in the right direction.

I have 'backtested' by simply looking back on charts to see if my strategies work in theory. but I need to learn how to backtest a strategy the correct way.

I want to use a couple different strategies for starts... for example: trend strategies w ZLEMA and SMA crossover.. price action.. momentum indicator, 20 EMA and BB as well, volatility breakouts, channel breakouts, v-bottom buys...etc..

how do I learn backtesting w NT7? I want historical, statistical data

I use NT7...I know there are tuturials on this...but I need a shove in the right direction.

I have 'backtested' by simply looking back on charts to see if my strategies work in theory. but I need to learn how to backtest a strategy the correct way.

I want to use a couple different strategies for starts... for example: trend strategies w ZLEMA and SMA crossover.. price action.. momentum indicator, 20 EMA and BB as well, volatility breakouts, channel breakouts, v-bottom buys...etc..

how do I learn backtesting w NT7? I want historical, statistical data

you don't think the tutorial will shove you in the right direction?

thanks tams...but not the answer I was hoping to get..

I am hoping to get some some feedback and specific info regarding inputing my strategy parameters. feedback and input...isnt that what this forum is here for?

I have already gone over the tutorial a little, but I cant seem to find exactly what Im looking for as far as specific strategy backtesting w historical performance and stats for custom strategies.. maybe Im missing something.

thanks tams...but not the answer I was hoping to get..

I am hoping to get some some feedback and specific info regarding inputing my strategy parameters. feedback and input...isnt that what this forum is here for?

I have already gone over the tutorial a little, but I cant seem to find exactly what Im looking for as far as specific strategy backtesting w historical performance and stats for custom strategies.. maybe Im missing something.

I have gone over your post a little, I cant seem to see what is missing from the tutorial that don't answer your question.

ok..but I read help section a few times..and went thru strategy wizard and developed a strategy to backtest (on strategy wizaerd). I chose market and set my to/from dates...and hit backtest strategy....and NOTHING. so then I hit optimize strategy, and a pop-up came up stating that there were no paremeters set. ?? I may have to call tech support on monday

That message can appear for a number of reasons but one of the most likely is you do not have the correct data for the instrument. Also under Optimize check the values for Optimize on and Optimizer.

This may be beyond what you were asking but you should always optimize over one period (known as in sample) and then do a back test over a different period. This will simulate what the strategy will do with "new or unseen" periods.

For example, run an optimization from January of 2010 to March of 2011 then pick a set of parameters that produced good results during that period and run them against data from April 2011 to date. This will separate truly predictive solutions from curve fit solutions.

Best Regards,

Scott

ok..but I read help section a few times..and went thru strategy wizard and developed a strategy to backtest (on strategy wizaerd). I chose market and set my to/from dates...and hit backtest strategy....and NOTHING. so then I hit optimize strategy, and a pop-up came up stating that there were no paremeters set. ?? I may have to call tech support on monday

arh... I see, you are still at the mechanical stage...

you need to read the manual, get to know the buttons and inputs,

before you can start the technical stage....

you are miles away from the analysis and strategic development stage.

nobody can help you at this stage, but yourself.

You just have to roll up your sleeves and hit the books. If you have a burning desire to succeed, you will do it, otherwise you are just going through the motion here. People can give you advice, but without a solid foundation, the imparted knowledge is only information.

Edited by Tams