Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

mr-T

Neural / genetic algorithms for trading

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this site. Found it whilst doing a google search for trading discussion forums and this one looked best amongst the available alternatives.

I am interested in developing a 'basic' trading program, capable of learning trading rules based on pattern recognition and performance evaluation. I know of a few neural network and genetic algorithms out there, and have heard of their application in financial trading, but I am new to these areas and really need some advice. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully applied NNs or GPs to intra-day data for forecasting. Any information would be helpful as what I would really like to do is create a basic program that I can play with and build on as my knowledge develops.

Best regards,

mr-T

I have some experience with neural networks and genetic programming although its been a few years since I've worked with them. You may want to look through the paper at the following link: Time Series Prediction Using Evolving Polynomial Neural Networks

The paper applies those techniques for time series forecasting. I don't think it would be too difficult to evolve a NN to predict one or two days out for a particular stock. An easier approach would be to evolve a NN that would generate a buy/sell waveform like an oscillator. Since it would be more closely tailored to the characteristics of the stock you are looking at it may be more accurate than traditional indicators.

Hi DrkTrade,

Thanks for your reply and the link to the thesis!! I've just had a look at it and it looks very interesting and comprehensive. I have collected a few papers on NNs and GAs so far, but not this one. Many thanks indeed!

Best regards,

mr-T

Hi mr-T,

You may or may not be aware of a book called The Encyclopedia Of Trading Strategies by Jeffrey Owen Katz Ph.D. to which there's also a companion CD available. As I'm working with this software to identify the strategy I want to use, I thought I let you know about it. He includes NN and GA. Looking at the book for once you might get ideas.

Healthy Profits!

Genki

The paper applies those techniques for time series forecasting. I don't think it would be too difficult to evolve a NN to predict one or two days out for a particular stock.

You are right, to predict something that looks to be usable is not a problem - see the applets at the site about prediction using neural networks that includes sample data for trading. But this is not all - if the prediction looks to be sufficient, it is also necessary to develop entry and exit rules - and this can be more important than more exact prediction.

Thanks for your comments Marobi. I'll take this on board. I had a look at the website, and it contains very interesting information. It's a shame there is no totorial on writing a basic NN code. Even pseudo code would provide useful insight.

Thanks

mr-T

Hi Genki,

Thanks for the book recommendation. Following on from my previous post, does the CD contain generic code, or is it all 'black box'?

Thanks,

mr-T