Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

fraknycjr

Supply and Demand Question

I was watching a chart of the NZD/USD on the hourly time frame and What I expected to happen with the price did not work out. I'm looking for opinions of people more experienced than myself to give insight into what I missed.

On 9/6/2011 the pair dropped to a demand zone at the .81994 to .82330 price zone. I expected the pair to go back to the .84571 to .85500 supply zone where I would short the pair. Instead it turned at .83821 and proceeded down and through the .81994 to .82330 price zone.

I have attached the chart I am looking at. Am I not going far enough out time wise and missing levels or am I totally missing the real zones.

Thanks

Frank

nzdusd09122011.thumb.jpg.c358dd9e2850b9863854352789a46da3.jpg

On 9/6/2011 the pair dropped to a demand zone at the .81994 to .82330 price zone. I expected the pair to go back to the .84571 to .85500 supply zone where I would short the pair. Instead it turned at .83821 and proceeded down and through the .81994 to .82330 price zone.

What are the reasons you think it will go back to that level (.84571 to .85500)? .83821 level is a previous support (around 27-28 Aug). It is also a resistance (around the 6th Sep). Notice the big red pin bar which has its upper wick touching the .83821 level. So logically, your next level of S&R is .83821.

Ichimogul,

Thank You for your reply and analysis it was very helpful. My thoughts on the .83821 were that on Sept 5th it was a drop base drop, I discounted the Aug 27th support because it was a rally base rally. At .84491 it does a rally base drop which is around the zone where I thought it would go to and turn around.

I'm still very new to all this and learning a lot as I go.

Thanks

Frank

Market was cascading lower. You had the direction right. Half the battle one.

The market move on the 5th/6th looks around 200 ticks or so - thus I would call that a reasonable place to place a pivot low (8270 area).

As soon as the market rolled over and went below that Sept 5th low - that 83821 high becomes a new pivot high. (it isnt an important high UNTIL that previous low is taken out)

On a market going down - a reasonable entry is to short near previous pivot highs. Thus this retracement to that area was logical place to short it with stop above.

Remember - a pivot high isn't confirmed until their is a new pivot low achieved. (and vice versa - a pivot low isnt confirmed until a new pivot high is achieved).

Any moves within the previous swing (from pivot high to pivot low) is just noise. Nothing more.

Your way ahead of where I was when I was a beginner...my dumb arse would have been trying to bottom pick. Congrats.

I think this also highlights the issue with waiting to short rallies or buy dips.....The extent of the retracement can never be known. All you can do is watch and wait and at some stage be prepared to pounce, OR place your levels and hope you get hit.

This is the major difference between selling/buying breaks IMHO - you should get every break as the level of the break is clearly defined beforehand and the nature of the break to be a break means it has to be a break (if that makes any sense).....but how do you define a retracement.....30%, 50%, 61.2%.

While defining ideas and thoughts is great, dont get too caught up in the jargon of supply zones, support zones, rally base rally etc....it is precisely this which can be so hard to define. :2c: