Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Do Or Die

Trading Journals- Some Information And Downloads

Hi,

For starters, keeping a proper trading journal can take your trading to a whole new level. Most traders tend to come up with a set of trading rules that, if followed, will be profitable. The problems occur that the trader is often not clear about all facets of his trading methodology and is unable to look at scenarios with probabilities. What follows is rules are not executed properly, which is the majority of the time for many traders. By journaling, you can go back and see exactly which trades worked, and which failed. Then, out of those that worked, how many followed your rules? etc.

Once you become profitable (recognize your edge), the journal can take you to the next level; determining which of the setups or which trading rule is working best for you, and which is working the worst. Basically you can use the journal to maximize the productivity of your work (research, analysis and execution).

• Looking at your journal is like looking in a mirror- it lets you know where you stand.
  • It lets you perceive better patterns and recognize your trading edge
  • Recognize the skills you have and that you lack
  • There’s no one who can tell that your mistakes are dumb or your strategy is biased
  • Your charts and instruments talk to you and you alone
  • Helps in organizing your research. No new indicators, charts or methods. You work calmly (and consistently) on one method and if it is proved wrong only then you shift to something new.
  • Helps you make a business sense of trading. You become conscious to minimize trading costs and maximize productivity.
  • Helps you shift towards the internal locus of control

Basic Trading Template: Click Here to Download

A simple yet clear diary to note down your trades- could be used for your first trading journal.

Master Trading Template: Click Here to Download

It can be used for Stocks, Options and Futures. It graphs the essential metrics like how you risk/reward is improving per 25-trade interval. It also reports other metrics like win/loss ratio and profitable trade average.

The good part is that you do not have to buy these spreadsheets. The better part is that you can customize them to include other important metrics like Profit Factor, Alpha, Expectancy, Productivity Ratio and so on.

icon12.gif

DD

Great trading spreadsheet. I am running into one problem which I can't figure out how to resolve. I trade the ZB futures contract which is valued at $1,000 per point or $31.25 per tick. Each point has 32 ticks. Any thoughts on how to incorporate ZB trading into the spreadsheet?

Thanks.

@gilpv - I created a trading journal a while back that I used to spread bet and share trade which I think would allow you to trade the futures contracts you refer to. It's a bigger file than the limit here. I posted a video many moons ago of me demo'ing the software (god knows why I was wearing a hat inside....) - Take a look

and let me know - I can email it you to if it'll help.

Cheers

Dan