Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

moneymarkets

Easylanguage Help

If I want to at say 6:00 am , take the price at exactly that time or I may change the time to 1:00 P.M., how do you program that?

I want to assign that to a variable, that then will be used in code that I already know how to do, but am having problems assigning the exact price at a time.

Please Help, it would be appreciated.

Will that give you the close of that bar or price of time? I tried something similar and got different results with different time frames. I was trying to get something that would work on any tick, etc. I need the open price at say 6:00 a.m.

thanks for your quick response

if time =opentime then begin

openprice=open;

end;

With above I got different prices on different time frames?

Edited by moneymarkets

Will that give you the close of that bar or price of time? I tried something similar and got different results with different time frames. I was trying to get something that would work on any tick, etc. I need the open price at say 6:00 a.m.

thanks for your quick response

open price is even easier...

just replace the keyword "CLOSE" with "OPEN".

input:
specific.time(600);

var:
specific.price(0);

if TIME = specific.time then

specific.price = OPEN;

bear in mind, TradeStation and most of the chart programs use the bar ending time as reference.

if you are using a 5 min chart, the bar 0600 starts at 0555 and ends at 0600.

if you are using a 1 min chart, the bar 0600 starts at 0559 and ends at 0600.

forget about tick charts, it is a different animal.

Thats what I thought, ticks may be impossible to get the price at x time. Guess have to use minute charts for it.

Thanks again.

not impossible, you just have to deal with each situation differently.

Tradestation, OEC, etc., can do analysis down to the minute level,

while MultiCharts can drill down to the seconds level.

when you are using tick charts, you are basically dealing with sub-minute analysis.

if the x time is a session opening, then it is easy to find/pinpoint that trade.

I read about a strategy that is used on a 15 minute bar and waits for an inside bar, then it trades the break of the high and the low of the bar before the inside bar. I've been trying to code the strategy in EL, but am having difficulty with a couple of things. Some help would be appreciated. First, does anybody know what this strategy might be called, or where I can read about it in detail?

As far as the coding goes (keep in mind I am very new at EL and programming at all):

(1) If I put the strategy I have written on a fifteen minute chart, it only trades (in and out) on a fifteen minute time ie 10:00, 2:15 etc.

(2) The code I wrote is not trading only after an inside bar. It is trading more often than that.

(3) I don't know how to do anything other than a fixed stop. I'd like to code this to stop a tick or two (best if I could optimize that) above or below the bar previous to the inside bar. I would assume I use a variable for the high or low price of that bar and then add or subtract a tick to it or something like that, but I don't quite have my head wrapped around it.

Most important: A BIG thanks to anybody who could help!

I read about a strategy that is used on a 15 minute bar and waits for an inside bar, then it trades the break of the high and the low of the bar before the inside bar. I've been trying to code the strategy in EL, but am having difficulty with a couple of things. Some help would be appreciated. First, does anybody know what this strategy might be called, or where I can read about it in detail?

As far as the coding goes (keep in mind I am very new at EL and programming at all):

(1) If I put the strategy I have written on a fifteen minute chart, it only trades (in and out) on a fifteen minute time ie 10:00, 2:15 etc.

(2) The code I wrote is not trading only after an inside bar. It is trading more often than that.

(3) I don't know how to do anything other than a fixed stop. I'd like to code this to stop a tick or two (best if I could optimize that) above or below the bar previous to the inside bar. I would assume I use a variable for the high or low price of that bar and then add or subtract a tick to it or something like that, but I don't quite have my head wrapped around it.

Most important: A BIG thanks to anybody who could help!

two ways to approach this:

1. hire a professional programmer

2. learn to do it yourself (and with help from forums like this).

to do the second method, you have to first get yourself started.

ie. go get the manual, get the ebooks... go through the examples in the ebooks. Then give your idea a try.

you can get the ebooks from either TradeStation or MultiCharts website. They are free.

Edited by Tams

Tick charts (vs Minute) were mentioned... in the long run, you will be better off designing and coding all your systems to run off a 1 tick chart and getting setups and signals from 'higher' time frames via ADE/ELC or other Data#

hth

Tick charts (vs Minute) were mentioned... in the long run, you will be better off designing and coding all your systems to run off a 1 tick chart and getting setups and signals from 'higher' time frames via ADE/ELC or other Data#

hth

I tried mixing NYSE $TICK data as tick aggregation time frame, and ES price data as tick aggregation time frame, and it doesn't work. This may not directly relate to this discussion, but I thought I'd mention it. The point in time in which one data source ticks, and the point in time when another data source ticks can be two different points in time. The platform needs a way to sync the data feeds. At least with TradeStation, I can't mix two data feeds that are a tick aggregation. I'd be interested to know if there is a platform that can do that though.

I tried mixing NYSE $TICK data as tick aggregation time frame, and ES price data as tick aggregation time frame, and it doesn't work. This may not directly relate to this discussion, but I thought I'd mention it. The point in time in which one data source ticks, and the point in time when another data source ticks can be two different points in time. The platform needs a way to sync the data feeds. At least with TradeStation, I can't mix two data feeds that are a tick aggregation. I'd be interested to know if there is a platform that can do that though.

MultiCharts can mix and match any symobls and resolutions in the same chart,

including mixing time-based resolution, sub-minute resolutions, and non-time-based resolutions.

Oh, interesting. It seems like the Timer Class forces the code to update on time intervals rather than whenever the data feed pushes data through. You can set the code to run every "X" seconds. I have a count down timer on my chart, and I'll see if I need to add this to the code.

It looks like the code will even continue to run if the internet connection is lost. Not that it will help you, if you need data from the internet.

This was one of the example codes given:

{
This example uses a Timer component to execute a handler method every 1 second.

The following items were created or modified:
  Component tray: Timer1 dragged into document from the Toolbox
  Properties editor: Interval property set to 1000 milliseconds (1 second)
  Properites editor: Enable property set to True to start the timer when it is applied to a chart or RadarScreen.
  Properties editor: Update event assigned to the EasyLanguage method below.
  NOTE: AutoReset defaults to True indicating that the countdown automatically repeats after each timeup event.
}

method void Timer1_Elapsed( elsystem.Object sender, elsystem.TimerElapsedEventArgs args ) 
{The Elapsed event handler is called when the timer counts down to zero}
begin
{ plots the current time as a string }
Plot1(rightstr(elsystem.datetime.CurrentTime.tostring(),11),"Time");
end;