Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Ingot54

The Short Term Destiny of Mankind?

It does interest me ... but not enough!

This thread is actually pointing out documented issues ... not conspiracy, because I simply do not know anything.

One can read ... one can guess ... one would be wrong.

All one can do is keep oneself as clean as possible ... and if that falls down ... apologise and make amends.

That's where I came from, and that's what I strive for.

Sometimes I mess up ...

EDIT: And sometimes people comment without reading the references in the post, or understanding the concept and the context.

These people will never be enlightened ... as their illumination can not pass further than the bathroom mirror.

To me the book is not about any conspiracy (disclaimer: not read, but followed the summaries of it and a reference from others - on the reading list of interest)......it is more about how society actually works. There is a power elite.....it is always changing in society. (I think given the posts about slavery it would interest you - plus isnt it all one big conspiracy :))

and what is wrong with the bathroom mirror - why do we all need to be illuminated?

It could be questioned as how is it that so often these folks who can look at themselves in bathroom mirror justify their actions to themselves rather than actually facing themselves.

To often in my personal experience its the illuminated ones who cause the most problems.

I have a completely separate theory of control....its not about fear and love.....its about the need to control - oneself, the weather, others, what we fear, who and what we love, where we live, our destiny etc; etc..... but its all just thoughts.

To me the book is not about any conspiracy (disclaimer: not

read, but followed the summaries of it and a reference from others - on the reading list

of interest)......it is more about how society actually works. There is a power elite.....it is

always changing in society. (I think given the posts about slavery it would interest you -

plus isnt it all one big conspiracy :))

And what is wrong with the bathroom mirror - why do we all need to be illuminated?

It could be questioned as how is it that so often these folks who can look at themselves

in bathroom mirror justify their actions to themselves rather than actually facing

themselves.

To often in my personal experience its the illuminated ones who cause the most

problems.

I have a completely separate theory of control....its not about fear and love.....its about

the need to control - oneself, the weather, others, what we fear, who and what we love,

where we live, our destiny etc; etc..... but its all just thoughts.

yeah ... all

reasonable thoughts mate - not able to disagree with much of it.

I failed Social Engineering 101 in 4th grade, so had to drop out.

Consequently I continue to earn "fails" whenever I attempt social commentary ... tells

me where my skills don't lie ... but doesn't point me to where they do lie.

I still think the biggest movers and shakers in history did so out of fear and love ... and

some out of both, or at least out of altruistic motives.

I have never read the historical philosophers - Plato, Aristotle, Nietzsche, Descartes,

Spinoza, Augustine, Aquinas, Leibniz, Kant, Hegel, Marx, Sartre, Wittgenstein, Quine,

Heidegger, Adorno, Marcuse - all of whose names I just found on a Google search :rofl:

But I have read a little about Gandhi, Jesus Christ, Steinbeck, and various Spielberg

productions :roll eyes::roll eyes:

I didn't follow through on your link, because I am in the process of getting rid of the

heaviness that clouds my day - I have unsubscribed from a couple of newsletters, and

still deciding about getting rid of The Daily Bell, FreeDomainRadio, The Daily Pfennig,

and heaps of other little philosophical uplifters that stream in to consume my time.

I need lightness in my life, and the stuff I have been feeding my mind is actually not

making a scrap of positive difference to my trading or my family life. My social

interaction is fairly limited, but I do enjoy the to-and-fro on TL discussion forums.

Why do we need to be illuminated?

Probably to make it more difficult for the people farmers ... I suggest watching the first

5 minutes of this to see if there is anything for you. Don't write it off earlier than this ...

even if you want to, like I did! It probably sums up the tiers of power as good as anything.

While many of these things are related.....views on guns, left v right politics, left v right economics, centralisation v decentralisation, societial rights v individual rights etc etc; etc....

having views, answers, ideas, on all all of these things may not make you 'happy' ;)

if you are searching for that, try becoming a stoic. :) - erase the heaviness

adopt the 'negative path' and reject the cult of optimism.....you might become much happier.

The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking: Amazon.co.uk: Oliver Burkeman: Books

It even has a bit that makes sense about Zdo's mate - Ukhart Tolle

Works well as an approach to trading as well.

all good fun until someone looses an eye.....and that is why we have two. :)

Edited by SIUYA

Cheers Siuya ... I went looking and found a short precis vid of the book.

But I like books, and will prolly grab one ... and I like E Toll, though I don't believe everything he expounds.

I believe and have experienced that happiness comes from first, knowing and serving God. Second serving mankind. Third standing for truth, justice, and righteouness....that is, conviction. He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

None of the three will be easy. All require sacrifice, commitment, intention, and will. You have to be intentional in all three areas while at the same time recognizing you have never completely arrived.

You do what is right because it is the right thing to do, not because it is easy, or because you want the praise of others. You do many things simply because God says do it, regardless of peoples reactions. In the end this is what brings happiness. Knowing God, obeying Him, serving people. Taking a stand.

All the rest of the things we strive for are mostly BS. Better cars..bigger houses..bigger bank accounts.. when we leave earth none of these things can we can take with us. we spend way too much of our time,energy and resources trying to make these things a reality in our life. then we heap them upon ourselves all the while justifying that we worked for them and hence deserve to do so with them. but all these things can never bring happiness. a mans life does not consist in the abundance of things in with he possesses Luke 12:15. Money hoarded can't bring happiness but money has been known to cause a smile or two, every now and then. happiness can come from being able to cause a few smiles in life, for others.

on the hand hand there have been times I have done things for people that were ungrateful. it hurts, to be sure, but that hurt is overcome by realizing that i did it because it was the right thing to do at the time, even if they didn't understand it, or really appreciate it.

be ready to find a way to accept some blame for when things go wrong even if you don't really see any blame on your side.

I say keep life focused and simple. don't get carried away by the BS that most get carried away by. in the long run it will pan out and you will much happier for it. and you will leave this world knowing that you have left behind something of lasting value.

Treasure those things that most despise or are slow to embrace. Flee those things that most would embrace.

Matt 6:21 For where your treasure is there will your heart be also.

Matt 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God

Matt 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

who knows what the future will bring..short-term or long term? we have to learn from the past, keep an eye on the future, but live in the present. too soon we will become the past but will our present impact the future long after we are gone?

maybe i should be quiet. i might be getting too philosophical here?

besides it doesn't really seem that a gun toting, moto riding free spirit should be saying these things. but who cares? it is what it is. it is the truth.

Edited by Patuca

I believe and have experienced that happiness comes from first, knowing and serving God. Second serving mankind. Third standing for truth, justice, and righteouness....that is, conviction. He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

None of the three will be easy. All require sacrifice, commitment, intention, and will. You have to be intentional in all three areas while at the same time recognizing you have never completely arrived.

You do what is right because it is the right thing to do, not because it is easy, or because you want the praise of others. You do many things simply because God says do it, regardless of peoples reactions. In the end this is what brings happiness. Knowing God, obeying Him, serving people. Taking a stand.

All the rest of the things we strive for are mostly BS. Better cars..bigger houses..bigger bank accounts.. when we leave earth none of these things can we can take with us. we spend way too much of our time,energy and resources trying to make these things a reality in our life. then we heap them upon ourselves all the while justifying that we worked for them and hence deserve to do so with them. but all these things can never bring happiness. a mans life does not consist in the abundance of things in with he possesses Luke 12:15. Money hoarded can't bring happiness but money has been known to cause a smile or two, every now and then. happiness can come from being able to cause a few smiles in life, for others.

on the hand hand there have been times I have done things for people that were ungrateful. it hurts, to be sure, but that hurt is overcome by realizing that i did it because it was the right thing to do at the time, even if they didn't understand it, or really appreciate it.

be ready to find a way to accept some blame for when things go wrong even if you don't really see any blame on your side.

I say keep life focused and simple. don't get carried away by the BS that most get carried away by. in the long run it will pan out and you will much happier for it. and you will leave this world knowing that you have left behind something of lasting value.

Treasure those things that most despise or are slow to embrace. Flee those things that most would embrace.

Matt 6:21 For where your treasure is there will your heart be also.

Matt 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God

Matt 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

who knows what the future will bring..short-term or long term? we have to learn from the past, keep an eye on the future, but live in the present. too soon we will become the past but will our present impact the future long after we are gone?

maybe i should be quiet. i might be getting too philosophical here?

besides it doesn't really seem that a gun toting, moto riding free spirit should be saying these things. but who cares? it is what it is. it is the truth.

I am struggling to add the image of The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost to the image of you riding down the highway on your moto with a pistol in each fist. Maybe I shouldn't let threads collide or perhaps I am only familiar with your Traders Lab identity and you are a true worshiper of Jesus which by my account is fine if you come here to have a good time and say and do things that are out of character.

Ingot - goggle Gene Sharp and non violent struggle.....you might enjoy his stuff.

(the liberal/conservative media does not seem to give him much attention :))

and as an aside, I am going to try and stick back at the trading threads (If i can) - this is all getting too wayward - problem is trading is not offering much inspiration at present.....patience my precious. :)

Ingot - goggle Gene Sharp and non violent struggle.....you might enjoy his stuff.

(the liberal/conservative media does not seem to give him much attention :))

and as an aside, I am going to try and stick back at the trading threads (If i can) - this is all getting too wayward - problem is trading is not offering much inspiration at present.....patience my precious. :)

Cheers mate ... my trading tonight is catching the USD strength prior to the NFP, when I will be out of the market.

Thanks for the heads-up on Gene Sharp

EDIT: The video:

Even better is this - I am watching right now, and can not turn it off.

gene Sharp is compelling ... and he is exactly my kind of man.

Thank you Siuya for this insight.

I liked that one from the movie - great refusal for something regardless of the beliefs......

There is also the classic from the Greatest....

Muhammad Ali, who in June 1967, was convicted for refusing to be conscripted into the US Army, saying, "No Vietnamese ever called me a nigger".

The Google Glass feature no one is talking about

FEBRUARY 28, 2013 | by Mark Hurst

Google Glass might change your life, but not in the way you think. There’s something else Google Glass makes possible that no one – no one – has talked about yet, and so today I’m writing this blog post to describe it.

To read the raving accounts of tech journalists who Google commissioned for demos, you’d think Glass was something between a jetpack and a magic wand: something so cool, so sleek, so irresistible that it must inevitably replace that fading, pitifully out-of-date device called the smartphone.

Sergey Brin himself said as much yesterday, observing that it is “emasculating” to use a smartphone, “rubbing this featureless piece of glass.” His solution to that piece of glass, of course, is called Glass. And his solution to that emasculation is – well, as VentureBeat put it, “Sergey Brin calls smartphones ‘emasculating’ – but dorky Google Glass [is] A-OK.”

Like every other shiny innovation these days, Google Glass will live or die solely on the experience it creates for people. The immediate, most visible problem in the Glass experience is how dorky the user looks while wearing it. No one wants to be the only person in the bar dressed like a cyborg from a 1992 virtual-reality movie. It’s embarrassing. Early adopters will abandon Google Glass if they don’t sense the social approval they seek while wearing it.

Google seems to have calculated this already and recently announced a partnership with Warby Parker, known for its designer glasses favored by the all-important younger demographic. (My own proposal, posted the day before, jokingly suggested that Google look into monocles.)

Except for the awkward physical design, the experience of using Google Glass has won high praise from reviewers. Seeing your bitstreams floating in the air in front of you, it would seem, is an ecstatic experience. Weather! Directions! Social network requests! Email overload! All floating in front of you, never out of your sight! For people who delight in a deluge of digital distractions, this is much more exciting than a smartphone, which forces you back to the boring offline world, every so often, when you put the phone away. Glass promises never to do that. In fact, in a feat of considerable chutzpah, Google is attempting to pitch Glass as an antidote to distraction, since users don’t have to look down at a phone. Right, because now the distractions are all conveniently placed directly into your eyeball!

As if all that wasn’t enough, Google Glass comes with yet another, even more important feature: lifebits, the ability to record video of the people, places, and events around you, at all times. Veteran readers will remember that I predicted this six years ago in my book Bit Literacy. From Chapter 13:

The life bitstream will raise new and important issues. Should it be socially acceptable, for example, to record a private conversation with a friend? How will anyone be sure they’re
not
being recorded, in public or private? … Corporations, police, even friends with ‘life recorders’ will capture the actions and utterances of everyone in sight, whether they like it or not.

Today, finally, that future has arrived: a major company offering the ability to record your life, store it, and share it – all with a simple voice command.

And this is where our story takes a turn, toward a ramification that dwarfs every other issue raised so far on Google Glass. Yes, the glasses look dorky – Google will fix that. And sure, Glass forces users to be permanently plugged-in to Google’s digital world – that’s hardly a concern for the company or, for that matter, most users out there. No. The real issue raised by Google Glass, which will either cause the project to fail or create certain outcomes you may not want (which I’ll describe), has to do with the lifebits. Once again, it’s an issue of experience.

The Google Glass feature that (almost) no one is talking about is the experience – not of the user, but of everyone other than the user. A tweet by David Yee introduces it well:

There is a kid wearing Google Glasses at this restaurant which, until just now, used to be my favorite spot.

The key experiential question of Google Glass isn’t what it’s like to wear them, it’s what it’s like to be around someone else who’s wearing them. I’ll give an easy example. Your one-on-one conversation with someone wearing Google Glass is likely to be annoying, because you’ll suspect that you don’t have their undivided attention. And you can’t comfortably ask them to take the glasses off (especially when, inevitably, the device is integrated into prescription lenses). Finally – here’s where the problems really start – you don’t know if they’re taking a video of you.

Now pretend you don’t know a single person who wears Google Glass… and take a walk outside. Anywhere you go in public – any store, any sidewalk, any bus or subway – you’re liable to be recorded: audio and video. Fifty people on the bus might be Glassless, but if a single person wearing Glass gets on, you – and all 49 other passengers – could be recorded. Not just for a temporary throwaway video buffer, like a security camera, but recorded, stored permanently, and shared to the world.

Now, I know the response: “I’m recorded by security cameras all day, it doesn’t bother me, what’s the difference?” Hear me out – I’m not done. What makes Glass so unique is that it’s a Google project. And Google has the capacity to combine Glass with other technologies it owns.

First, take the video feeds from every Google Glass headset, worn by users worldwide. Regardless of whether video is only recorded temporarily, as in the first version of Glass, or always-on, as is certainly possible in future versions, the video all streams into Google’s own cloud of servers. Now add in facial recognition and the identity database that Google is building within Google Plus (with an emphasis on people’s accurate, real-world names): Google’s servers can process video files, at their leisure, to attempt identification on every person appearing in every video. And if Google Plus doesn’t sound like much, note that Mark Zuckerberg has already pledged that Facebook will develop apps for Glass.

Finally, consider the speech-to-text software that Google already employs, both in its servers and on the Glass devices themselves. Any audio in a video could, technically speaking, be converted to text, tagged to the individual who spoke it, and made fully searchable within Google’s search index.

Now our stage is set: not for what will happen, necessarily, but what I just want to point out could technically happen, by combining tools already available within Google.

Let’s return to the bus ride. It’s not a stretch to imagine that you could immediately be identified by that Google Glass user who gets on the bus and turns the camera toward you. Anything you say within earshot could be recorded, associated with the text, and tagged to your online identity. And stored in Google’s search index. Permanently.

I’m still not done.

The really interesting aspect is that all of the indexing, tagging, and storage could happen without the Google Glass user even requesting it. Any video taken by any Google Glass, anywhere, is likely to be stored on Google servers, where any post-processing (facial recognition, speech-to-text, etc.) could happen at the later request of Google, or any other corporate or governmental body, at any point in the future.

Remember when people were kind of creeped out by that car Google drove around to take pictures of your house? Most people got over it, because they got a nice StreetView feature in Google Maps as a result.

Google Glass is like one camera car for each of the thousands, possibly millions, of people who will wear the device – every single day, everywhere they go – on sidewalks, into restaurants, up elevators, around your office, into your home. From now on, starting today, anywhere you go within range of a Google Glass device, everything you do could be recorded and uploaded to Google’s cloud, and stored there for the rest of your life. You won’t know if you’re being recorded or not; and even if you do, you’ll have no way to stop it.

And that, my friends, is the experience that Google Glass creates. That is the experience we should be thinking about. The most important Google Glass experience is not the user experience – it’s the experience of everyone else. The experience of being a citizen, in public, is about to change.

Just think: if a million Google Glasses go out into the world and start storing audio and video of the world around them, the scope of Google search suddenly gets much, much bigger, and that search index will include you. Let me paint a picture. Ten years from now, someone, some company, or some organization, takes an interest in you, wants to know if you’ve ever said anything they consider offensive, or threatening, or just includes a mention of a certain word or phrase they find interesting. A single search query within Google’s cloud – whether initiated by a publicly available search, or a federal subpoena, or anything in between – will instantly bring up documentation of every word you’ve ever spoken within earshot of a Google Glass device.

This is the discussion we should have about Google Glass. The tech community, by all rights, should be leading this discussion. Yet most techies today are still chattering about whether they’ll look cool wearing the device.

Oh, and as for that physical design problem. If Google Glass does well enough in its initial launch to survive to subsequent versions, forget Warby Parker. The next company Google will call is Bausch & Lomb. Why wear bulky glasses when the entire device fits into a contact lens? And that, of course, would be the ultimate expression of the Google Glass idea: a digital world that is even more difficult to turn off, once it’s implanted directly into the user’s body. At that point you’ll not even know who might be recording you. There will be no opting out.

DB - I wish I hadn't read that - I will never sleep soundly again!

That article should have been posted in:

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/general-discussion/15505-does-my-head.html

But in either place, I would be just as freaked out! It is probably a bridge between both threads - scary movie indeed!

We are beyond 1984 ...there is no turning back ... no place to hide ... we can no longer know the enemy.

I second Ingot. Haven't felt this kind of anxiety in some time. I am moving to the Himalayas...but I can't live without my internet. I am doomed, yes, but worse is the next generation that will simply get used to being recorded at all times.

What is the Matrix?

Gringo

I second Ingot. Haven't felt this kind of anxiety in some time. I am moving to the Himalayas...but I can't live without my internet. I am doomed, yes, but worse is the next generation that will simply get used to being recorded at all times.

What is the Matrix?

Gringo

The question is ... WHERE ... is the matrix!

You are right ... we are doomed ... and we are doing it to ourselves.

If the gun nuts don't get us ... the human rights protectors will ... or Google.

Who is the greater threat to our privacy, liberty and peace?

Oh where ... oh where ... are those plans to have picnics on the sweeping lawns of the creek bank with the grand-kids, with parrots screeching in the trees and kangaroos grazing peacefully just a few metres away?

Oh where ... oh where ... are those plans to have picnics on the sweeping lawns of the creek bank with the grand-kids, with parrots screeching in the trees and kangaroos grazing peacefully just a few metres away?

You have to take the blue pill.

I knew my investment in rubber latex masks, red noses and Groucho Marx glasses would pay off one day!

(Ingot - On the creek bank it will be the drones you need to be careful of :))

I knew my investment in rubber latex masks, red noses and Groucho Marx glasses would pay off one day!

(Ingot - On the creek bank it will be the drones you need to be careful of :))

AAAARRRRGGHHH!!

Does capsicum spray work on these suckers?

How about a thermonuclearmagnetic super pulse?

Will that take the suckers out?

5aa711c62ecab_Theyareeverywhere.jpg.17f3d7d5ed058be6c9d34dd985cdffa6.jpg