Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Do Or Die

Trading Regime Analysis Using RSI

Hi,

This article is a build up on the previous one- Trend Following Vs Mean Reversion: Trading Regimes. I will now try to clarify the meaning of Trading Regimes using RSI as an example, before we move to more sophisticated methods. This is a discretionary method, but conceptually strong, and can serve as an intro to quantitative methods. We will gradually shift to the crux, "Big moves are often preceded by contraction,and followed by expansion in volatility, this works across all time frames." There is also significant academic research on regime shifting, and you can find papers on SSRN. Two other relevant links are Relative Strength - Internal and Introduction to Understanding Volatility

Most trading strategies can be categorized into two different camps: Trend Following and Mean Reverting.

An example of trend following is buying when prices cross above a moving average. For trend following systems or strategies, simply buying and holding the market has it's benefits. First and foremost - It's simple and when markets catch a trend, it can run and run. However, Trend following relies on directional moves. Your strategy will lose if the market is sideways; and, the markets CAN remain in a sideways mode until you go bonkers. You can make a trend following strategy howsoever complicated using MACD, ADX, Parabolic SAR. But if the strategy is "trend following" it will not perform in sideways market.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25457&stc=1&d=1311727988

An example of mean reverting will be- buying when a oscillator tuns upwards from a oversold stage. Mean reverting strategies relies on the assumption that market cannot continue in one direction for prolonged time; it will "revert" back to a theoretical mean. The "mean" is always shifting ofcourse. The moving average is a good example of a mean around which prices move around. Trading using price bands (eg. bollinger bands) and channels is also an example of a mean reverting strategy. These strategies lose money in trending markets.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25456&stc=1&d=1311727988

The aim of these articles is to establish a method of switching between strategies as they blow hot and cold, so you don't continue to follow the strategies that aren't adapting to current market conditions.

Shifting Strategies using RSI

• A sharp and extended move to either the overbought or oversold area signifies the start of a directional move. Refer to Mega Overbought stage at Relative Strength - Internal. The opposite conditions qualify for a Mega Oversold stage which indicates the start of a new downtrend.
  • An uptrend is marked by the fact that RSI will not reach the lower parts of its range. RSI typically moves in the range >40 in an uptrend while touching >70 area often.
  • A downtrend is marked by RSI does not reaches the upper part of its range. In a downtrend it will tend to remain below 60 and move toward <30 area often.
  • A sideways trend is marked by RSI moving >70 and <30 area.

When the market is trending, the Moving Average Crossover with price is used to generate signals. When the market is sideways, the oscillator turning up (down) from a oversold (overbought) stage is used to generate signals.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25458&stc=1&d=1311727988

Note the period where all signals are discarded, whether they come from a trend following or a mean reverting method. This is because the regime shift is not clear, as per the definition above. From a historical perspective it looks more like a sideways market and should have given money from a mean reverting strategy.

The improvement by switching strategies should be very apparent in this example. The productivity of your trading system/methodology can improve dramatically by including a 'regime analysis' or 'adaptive layer' on top of strategies. I currently use a custom indicator for regime analysis, however, it can be achieved through many techniques.

Please post a comment- they encourage me to provide better examples.

trending.thumb.png.60767aba36f53488258e9410ea5fe1f5.png

sideways.thumb.png.1df2fa87a8c911b17fe718ee646c0287.png

5aa7109136e0a_tradingregime.thumb.png.2463cefa7baed8bf7a485994629ac0b8.png

Hi Do or Die,

Thank you for the thread. I will also follow along and I know I'll learn a lot.

Please post a comment- they encourage me to provide better examples.

Which method do you think would be more successful? Do you think it would be more successful to keep it simple and just use the RSI or are there better indicators to use for mean reversion? Also do you recommend this for a beginner trader like myself?

Thank you again for the thread.

Which method do you think would be more successful? Do you think it would be more successful to keep it simple and just use the RSI or are there better indicators to use for mean reversion? Also do you recommend this for a beginner trader like myself?

Hi Umfan,

As I previously mentioned, for beginner traders it is good to understand one technique/indicator before moving to another.

The other day I was discussing with Phantom about divergences- most oscillators behave in same way. You do not need to research each of them to learn about trading overbot/oversold levels. Studying one will be sufficient. You can stick to only one (say RSI) http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/technical-analysis/10120-relative-strength-internal.html Once you are fully comfortable with it, you can tweak them to suit your trading style (example Trading Regime Analysis Using RWI

This looks to be interesting and one look forward to the more sophisticated techniques in identifying "regime change".

However on the basis of the examples that you gave, it seems that it identifying a trend is easier than identifying a mean reverting period objectively. Visually it may be quite easy. Bouncing off the +70 and the -30 range is not easily identifiable. Or by the time you identify it, the regime has played itself out.

Waiting to see the "pure technical analysis" way of identifying a side-wise moving regime from you, instead of the techniques like co-integration etc which are more in the realm of statistical arbitrage.

Jose Kollamkulam.

Chennai

However on the basis of the examples that you gave, it seems that it identifying a trend is easier than identifying a mean reverting period objectively. Visually it may be quite easy. Bouncing off the +70 and the -30 range is not easily identifiable. Or by the time you identify it, the regime has played itself out.

This is a discretionary method... and like all other discretionary pattern methods it can be subject to hindsight bias and availability heuristics. This method will be helpful to only traders who use RSI regularly in their trading. (refer Relative Strength - Internal )

Similarly for people who trade using chart patterns will be able to better relate Trading Regime Analysis Using Chart Patterns- Part 1 and Part 2.

If you're using any of techniques talked about on internet (versus using custom indicators), and wish to tell me about it, I can give a better contextual reply.

During bull markets, all indicators tend to trade with a bias to the high end of the range, while in bear markets indicators tend to shift to new, lower extremes. This is what I call indicator scale shift, and where truly major market moves are involved, it will happen.

In addition to gauges of breadth and volume, we also see the scale shift phenomenon at work in more classic gauges like the nine-day Wilder Relative Strength Index (RSI), which is a common momentum gauge. The classic RSI scale suggests that values above +70 are overbought and readings below +30 are oversold. In reality, in strong uptrending bull market moves, the nine-day RSI will often move up to record readings in the +80 area and end up a subsequent correction in the low +40 zone. This upward scale shift away from the traditional +70 and +30, to +80 and +40 parameters, is the bull market “80/40” rule for the nine-day RSI. Alternatively, in bear markets, we often experience a downward scale shift to parameters of +60 overbought and +20 oversold. This is the bear market “60/20” rule for the nine-day RSI.

--- Frank Barbera

Visually it may be quite easy. Bouncing off the +70 and the -30 range is not easily identifiable. Or by the time you identify it, the regime has played itself out.

Its rather easier to code the same thing without any future looking formula; I just did. Compare the char above with the one posted in first post. Works satisfactory even with a lag of 50 bars; though I would prefer going discretionary with this method.

Edited by Do Or Die