Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

adam777

Is There Enough Volume to Trade the YM During the Beginning of the London Session?

Hi

I'm located in Australia so the New York trading session is the early hours of the morning for me.

I've been looking at the "time & sales" for the YM during the New York night session, and I'm wondering if there is enough volume to trade the YM during the beginning of the London session?

I'd only be trading one or two contracts at a time and day trading.

Cheers

Adam

I've been looking at the "time & sales" for the YM during the New York night session, and I'm wondering if there is enough volume to trade the YM during the beginning of the London session?

So what did you see?

Enough volume?

If you don't think it's enough you might as well trade NQ, FTSE-100, CAC or ESTX50 (which also don't move too fast and in sync with each other).

Hi

I'm located in Australia so the New York trading session is the early hours of the morning for me.

Cheers

Adam

it depends on what type of trading you want to do, the holding period, and the profit targets.

if you are holding for a few days at a time, the overnight volume shouldn't matter.

if you are looking to day trade, there are lots of other instruments you can consider:

eg. HSI, SGX, Kospi, etc.

Hi

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam.I am in Australia as well and I trade YM a lot off times I open a position outside US trading hours and I have no problem with liqidity. Hope it helps.Youri

it depends on what type of trading you want to do, the holding period, and the profit targets.

if you are holding for a few days at a time, the overnight volume shouldn't matter.

if you are looking to day trade, there are lots of other instruments you can consider:

eg. HSI, SGX, Kospi, etc.

Thanks for everyone's quick replies.

Looking at learning to daytrade futures. I have done stocks and I'm moving on.

The YM looked interesting as its often sold to newbies with the attractions of a low point value, lots of volume so less slippage etc, and it slowly moves up and down (less eratic), only $3.32 RT, and free data; as opposed to other more eratic, more expensive to trade, and higher point value financial products.

So I'm looking for something simmilar to the YM to learn with during the London open (when I get home from work). I'm happy to papertrade first, then risk 1% of $10k and later $20K, but I need something that moves slowly, doesn't need to be held overnight to make a profit, and the data and fees are low enough like the YM.

I will check out the financial products allready mentioned .... thankyou :)