Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TimRacette

Trend Following Techniques

We’ve all heard the saying…

“The trend is your friend until the end”

In this post I outline techniques for identifying the trend, getting in, and staying in until it fails.

How do we Define a Trend?

An uptrend can be defined as higher highs and higher lows, while a downtrend can be defined as lower highs and lower lows.

As an exercise, each night print out a 5 or 15-min chart of the market you are trading and identify the key highs and lows of the day. After a few weeks you will become better able to define the trend during the day.

Methods for Identifying the Trend

Moving Averages

Regardless of the time frame you’re trading, moving averages are a great way to quickly identify the general trend of the market. I place more weight on larger time frames such as the daily and weekly and then look to trade with that trend on the smaller intraday timeframes.

A 20-period Exponential Moving Average is a great tool for intraday trading.

20-ema.png

A 20 Period Exponential Moving Average (in blue) helps quickly identify the larger trend. Using a 5-min chart, the 20-EMA keeps us aware of the larger trend.

Candlestick Patterns

As talked about in the book Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques, candlestick charting is a great way to identify market sentiment and trends. The candlestick pattern is made up of an open, close, high, and low price. These candlestick patterns have a lot more to say as compared to a bar chart. To get an even clearer picture of the trend try switching to a Heikin Ashi chart.

Methods for Entering the Trend

Fibonacci Retracements

Buying on a retracement as opposed to chasing the market is a great way to enter a trend. This reduces the likelihood that your stop will take you out. Once you have identified a new trend try drawing from lows to highs (in an uptrend) and waiting for a pullback to the 50% of a Fibonacci retracement before going long.

es-halfway-back.png

Entering a trade at a 50% Fibonacci retracement is a low risk method of getting into the trend. This allows you to enter on a pullback rather than chasing the market.

The NYSE Tick

This is by far my favorite tool for intraday trading. To learn more I will refer you to my prior post on the NYSE Tick.

Reversal Patterns

Buying over the high of a low bar (in an uptrend) or shorting the low of a high bar in a down trend is a great way to get in the new trend close to a reversal. These patterns accompanied with a moving average or other momentum indicator can be a sound strategy with very good risk/reward ratio.

Whether you’re an intraday trader or use a weekly chart, being able to identify the trend, get in, and stay in will yield the greatest return over time.

Do you have other methods for identifying the trend?

I’d love to hear from you.

If you are trading stocks, you should look at both the overall market trend and the trend of the individual security. The Edge is better if you trade stocks from the long side when the market is trending up and conversely.

It's also useful to look at the rate of change in the trend as observed by the steepness of the chart, regression lines or RSI indicator. When the market and the stock you are stalking are in strong up trends, it is often better to use a breakout approach for entering a position rather than waiting for a pullback. Breakouts can be defined many ways, e.g. when the price penetrates the upper Bollinger Band, or makes a new high for the past 'n' days.

But, trading breakouts is risky and you should always know how much you're willing to let the price pull back before you exit the trade. Set real stops unless you are watching the action constantly.

Great thread, Tim.

I agree that 20 MA is the easiest way to identify a short term trend. 60 MA and 200 MA are good tools to identify mid and long term trend.

To me, however, the most difficult part is to stay in the trend and get out at the reversal (not too early, not too late).

Nicolas Darvas has this box method to monitor his trade. This method works pretty best in a bull market with weekly chart, but less than satisfactory in a sideway market, where most of the trends are short term trend. When you trade on lower timeframes, there are more market noices and you will be stopped out more often than with larger timeframes.

Even with a long term trend, it is difficult to decide whether the retracement of the price is merely a pullback or a reversal.

So when to get out? Anyone has any thoughts there to share about?

KT

Even with a long term trend, it is difficult to decide whether the retracement of the price is merely a pullback or a reversal.

So when to get out? Anyone has any thoughts there to share about?

KT

This applies more to longer term trends but generally is applicable to any trend :2c:

if you are trend trading the default position when you are in a position/trade is to let it ride (otherwise you are not trend trading)

So when it comes to getting out when trend following you will naturally always have drawdowns of equity after a big run up. You are not meant to be trying to pick the top or bottom

OR, you had better have a pretty good method of re-entering the trend if you have levels to get out......unfortunately this is the trade off you face.

when it comes to getting out after following a trend for a long time - you often have plenty of time - trends dont often reverse without some form of consolidation.

Personally I have always struggled with this due to the trade off involved, but I have found that the first big pullback after a trend (lets say an uptrend and big pullback is -- price crosses over a few swing lows, or hits a MA, or a lower donchian channel) gives an indication (a very big indication) that its time to exit a trade on further rallies, rather than have any hard and fast rules to exit on the first draw down......but this does not mean trying to then short....

Curtis Faith covers this in his book Trading from your gut....in it he talks about the combination of auto trading a system with using instinct to exit with out being too dogmatic

I've been lurking for a while hoping to hear from others who trade longer term. I consider myself to be a trend trader. There are lots of definitions for a trend depending on the time frame one is using. I trade from the weekly chart and move to the daily for confirmation and specific entry. I screen for stocks/etfs that have been in a trend within the past year, have reversed or consolidated and are now beginning to move higher again. I look for price to close above the 8ema on the weekly chart for two weeks and the fast macd to have crossed over it's signal line. I then go to the daily chart for a specific entry point and to determine my stop/risk.

Once in the trade, I hold and view the action on the weekly chart waiting for a specific signal that indicates to me the trend may be ending. Trading from the weekly chart eliminates much of the noise and allows me to stay in a trade longer. I've discovered when I traded on shorter time frames, I often times entered and exited trades either too late or too early. The longer time frame has allowed me to "see" the trends more clearly.

I'm interested to hear from other longer term traders. What works for you? How do you determine your entries and exits?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By TopAlgo
      Open source code for 2 NT7 trading algos C#
      google drive link in video description
      2 Algos based on point and figure patterns, fully automated, one for crude oil contracts and one for nasdaq futures.
      Free to use, modify, share
    • By Ninjatrader_Staff
      FCM to Provide Simplified Access to the Global Futures Markets
      CHICAGO, IL, August 9th, 2021 – NinjaTrader Group, LLC, a leading provider of trading software and brokerage services, has announced the launch of NinjaTrader Clearing, LLC. As a non-clearing Futures Commission Merchant, NinjaTrader Clearing will deliver innovative Fintech services & a modern user experience for self-directed traders to cost-effectively access the global futures markets.

“We are extremely excited to introduce a customer-centric experience unique to the futures industry through our FCM,” stated Martin Franchi, CEO of NinjaTrader. “The interest in retail futures trading is rapidly expanding and the opportunity to simplify the client experience will help us continue to deliver unmatched value for our traders.” NinjaTrader supports over 500,000 active traders through a unique combination of high-performance trading software, discount brokerage and real-time support. As an FCM, NinjaTrader will continue to modernize the retail futures industry building upon its best-in-class technology and award-winning services to provide a premium experience for customers across the globe.

“Retail traders are attracted to the numerous benefits available through futures and our goal is to make these markets even more accessible for both investors and active traders,” stated Franchi. “Through an innovative user experience and cost-efficient services, NinjaTrader will continue to lower the barrier of entry to participate in the futures markets using our institutional grade trading tools.” NinjaTrader Clearing is immediately available to accept new futures accounts. Visit ninjatrader.com or contact brokeragesales@ninjatrader.com to learn more.
      About NinjaTrader
      NinjaTrader provides award-winning trading software and brokerage services to active traders. Founded in 2003, NinjaTrader has evolved into an industry leader supporting over 500,000 traders around the globe with best-in-class technology, discount commissions and world class support.
      To learn more about NinjaTrader, please visit: www.ninjatrader.com.
      Paul Colman
      NinjaTrader
      info@ninjatrader.com
      FULL RISK DISCLOSURE: Futures, foreign currency and options trading contains substantial risk and is not for every investor. An investor could potentially lose all or more than the initial investment. Risk capital is money that can be lost without jeopardizing ones financial security or lifestyle. Only risk capital should be used for trading and only those with sufficient risk capital should consider trading. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.

• By Ninjatrader_Staff
      Now is the Time to SAVE Even More with NinjaTrader!
      Open a new Futures account by August 31st and receive up to $200 in commission rebates.
      Simply fund your account with the account minimum of $400 and start trading. You will receive a rebate back on all future trades placed prior to October 31st.
      OPEN ACCOUNT
      Why Trade Futures with NinjaTrader?

FREE Platform included with brokerage account Clear savings through discount commissions Low day trading margins including only $50 for Micros 1000s of Apps & Add-Ons to personalize your platform

Questions?
      Contact us at 1.800.496.1683 or brokeragesales@ninjatrader.com. *Commission Rebate Requirements:

Account must be opened & funded in August 2021 with $400 minimum Trades must be executed on or before October 31st, 2021 Commission rebates will be applied to the account holder's balance monthly as a credit up to $0.25 per contract if charged commission exceeds $0.25 per contract or equaling the value of the commission charged if under $0.25 per contract Standard exchange, NFA and routing fees still apply Existing NinjaTrader Brokerage account holders are not eligible for this promotion

Futures, foreign currency and options trading contains substantial risk and is not for every investor. An investor could potentially lose all or more than the initial investment. Risk capital is money that can be lost without jeopardizing ones financial security or lifestyle. Only risk capital should be used for trading and only those with sufficient risk capital should consider trading. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. View Full Risk Disclosure.

• By Ninjatrader_Staff
      Open a new futures brokerage account by February 28th with a NinjaTrader Lifetime license & receive:

Commission-Free Micro trading in March $50 margins on Micros Access to the most powerful version of NinjaTrader Free platform upgrades for life!

Simply open & fund your new account in February with as little as $400 & purchase a Lifetime license. You will then receive a rebate for commissions on all Micro futures trades placed from March 1st – March 31st.* Open Futures Account
      A NinjaTrader Lifetime license provide access to all premium features including Chart Trader, OCO orders, Order Flow +, and more.
      * Program Requirements:

Account must be funded by February 28th, 2021 with $400 minimum A new NinjaTrader Lifetime license ($1099) must be purchased by February 28th, 2021 Standard exchange, NFA and routing fees still apply A commission rebate will be applied to the account holder’s balance for all March Micro trades 2nd accounts for current NinjaTrader Brokerage account owners not eligible for rebates

Futures and Forex trading contains substantial risk and is not for every investor. An investor could potentially lose all or more than the initial investment. Risk capital is money that can be lost without jeopardizing one's financial security or life style. Only risk capital should be used for trading and only those with sufficient risk capital should consider trading. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. View Full Risk Disclosure.
    • By Ninjatrader_Staff
      Open a new futures brokerage account by August 31st with a NinjaTrader Lifetime license & receive:
      Commission-Free Micro trading in September $50 margins on Micros Access to the most powerful version of NinjaTrader Free platform upgrades for life!
      Simply open & fund your new account in August with as little as $400 & purchase a Lifetime license. You will then receive a rebate for commissions on all Micro futures trades placed from September 1st – September 30th.*
      Open Futures Account
      A NinjaTrader Lifetime license provide access to all premium features including Chart Trader, OCO orders, Order Flow +, and more.
      * Program Requirements:
      Account must be funded by August 31st, 2020 with $400 minimum A new NinjaTrader Lifetime license ($1099) must be purchased by August 31st, 2020 Standard exchange, NFA and routing fees still apply A commission rebate will be applied to the account holder’s balance for all September Micro trades 2nd accounts for current NinjaTrader Brokerage account owners not eligible for rebates
      Futures and Forex trading contains substantial risk and is not for every investor. An investor could potentially lose all or more than the initial investment. Risk capital is money that can be lost without jeopardizing ones financial security or life style. Only risk capital should be used for trading and only those with sufficient risk capital should consider trading. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. View Full Risk Disclosure.
  • Topics

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.