Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

umfan92

Am I Doing This Right?

Well I was just looking at different companies. I noticed that YRCW is one of the most bought stocks on my broker's website over the last 5 days. I started looking into it because it has a low price and because of it's recent activity.

I looked at the chart of the last 3 months and it sort of looks to me like a cup and handle chart. Am I right? What does this mean for the stock? I looked up the definition which talks about the volume and said, "Volume - Volume should dry up on the decline and remain lower than average in the base of the bowl. It should then increase when the stock finally starts to make its move back up to test the old high." It looks to me like it's exactly as described. What do you guys think?

I'm not trying to let you guys do all the work but I'm extremely new at this and some help would be nice. I appreciate it. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to invest in this company in the short term? I'm not sure. Also please let me know how you came to the conclusion so that I can also learn from it. Thank you all in advance. I look forward to hearing your responses. (Also I'm sorry if I posted it in the wrong section).

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to invest in this company in the short term?

always worth a question - thats what forums are for.

But in answer to your question - no.

The pattern your referred to is not really a short term trading pattern.....and for me the stock is in a massive long term down trend, so unless you are in a long term investment fundamentally based mode - no

Thanks SIUYA. I wasn't sure and I don't want to make any other beginner mistakes. I just don't know how to properly judge stocks yet. I also so the down trend, but thought maybe it would go up in the short term a little bit. I'll keep learning and keep trying.

Well I'm really glad I asked this question here. I feel kinda stupid now but I rather be embarrassed and not lose a bunch of money. Thanks a lot everyone.

Do or Die, Why do you say that it looks like it could go bankrupt? I know they have decreased a lot in recent years, but what do you see that could be a good sign? I need to learn these things lol.

MightyMouse, I'm assuming you're looking at the 10 year chart, huh? Lol yeah that would have been a great opportunity! I couldn't believe they were once so high up and now so low.

Wow, that was the short of a life time. You could have retired if you caught it and rode it.

at 1600 have much of your portfolio would you have sold 1%, 10%, 100%

Thats all you would have made!

While shorting is great, it gives you diminishing returns on the original short :(

, whereas getting the run on the long of a stock from 1 to 8 will generally give you better returns.... :)

I saw the chart as well and went - holy moly - like an internet stock I once dated.

at 1600 have much of your portfolio would you have sold 1%, 10%, 100%

Thats all you would have made!

While shorting is great, it gives you diminishing returns on the original short :(

, whereas getting the run on the long of a stock from 1 to 8 will generally give you better returns.... :)

I saw the chart as well and went - holy moly - like an internet stock I once dated.

True on the original short, but theoretically you could have ended up with a billion shares too if you added to the short.

And then shorting a round lot of 100 shares would be worth 160,000.

But, when I am dreaming about a trade that I wish I did, I don't inject the dream with reality.

Do or Die, Why do you say that it looks like it could go bankrupt? I know they have decreased a lot in recent years, but what do you see that could be a good sign? I need to learn these things lol.

I will just start a new thread on RS and will post YRCW chart (in this TA section only) in few minutes. Its RS was crushed before it tumbled down earlier this year. In many aspects the chart reminds me of crisis ridden stocks in 2008.

So either the chart shows what happening in the company. OR the management is playing a nasty game and it can be bought for 4x+ returns target. The third case of the stock trading at these levels for a year before moving up or down seems less probable.

:shrug:

DD

While shorting is great, it gives you diminishing returns on the original short ... like an internet stock I once dated.

Not only that, shorting has unlimited downside ... if the stock jumps 3x your down 3x. But you can only lose 1x of your money if you buy. And to further my other thread about speculators, does 'shorting' serve any purpose except allowing people to gun down a stock? Anyhow, that damn wh*re of a stock, I bet she dated all of us ...

MMS

Well I'm sure this question has been asked and I'm sorry if it has, but I thought it would be a good idea to ask here. What indicators do you guys use and is there a certain point that a stock has to be at in order for you to buy? What I mean is, do you require that certain indicators be a certain way before you buy? I have learned about many indicators recently and I look at most of them when looking at different companies, but I still haven't gotten good at picking stocks (I know it comes with time but I figured I would be better at it if I employed these indicators). I look at the following: Bollinger Bands, MACD, Fast and Slow Stochastics, Relative Strength Index, and 20, 30, and 50 day Moving Averages. I also look at Volume to see if it's too low or above it's 30 day average. What do you guys think? Is this a good repertoire of indicators? Does that mean I'm using them incorrectly? I just don't know what to look for. Thanks in advance.

Not only that, shorting has unlimited downside ... if the stock jumps 3x your down 3x. But you can only lose 1x of your money if you buy. And to further my other thread about speculators, does 'shorting' serve any purpose except allowing people to gun down a stock? Anyhow, that damn wh*re of a stock, I bet she dated all of us ...

MMS

Is there something wrong with "gunning down a stock"? Was there something wrong with gunning down Enron? Or any other company that wreaks of incompetence? Why should it be that one's work in determining that a stock is overvalued should be relegated to "then just don't buy it"?

If you are trying to make an investment decision, even short term, if it's more than day trading, then you need to look at the financial documents of the company. And visit the official company website.

YRC Worldwide: News, Investors, Media

YRC Worldwide, Inc. - YRCW Earnings Releases & Operating Statistics

yrcw stock - Google Search

And you need to know what the current overall economic outlook is for the country, and maybe even the world. It all affects the markets.

Forex Factory

Then there are market cycles that happen during the year. Those can affect the market. You also need to know that speculators can move the price up or down with absolutely no good reason to do so, except speculation. Just because the price is going up or down, doesn't mean there is a good reason for it to be going up or down. It could all be meaningless and empty speculation. Like a house of cards.

YRC Worldwide - Quarterly Report

UNITED STATES

SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION

WASHINGTON, D.C. 20549

FORM 10-Q

x QUARTERLY REPORT PURSUANT TO SECTION 13 OR 15(d) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934

For the quarterly period ended March 31, 2011

OR

¨ TRANSITION REPORT PURSUANT TO SECTION 13 OR 15(d) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934

For the transition period from to

Commission file number: 0-12255

YRC Worldwide Inc.

The accompanying financial statements have been prepared assuming that the Company will continue as a going concern. The uncertainty regarding the Company’s ability to generate sufficient cash flows and liquidity to fund operations raises substantial doubt about the Company’s ability to continue as a going concern (which contemplates the realization of assets and discharge of liabilities in the normal course of business for the foreseeable future). Our financial statements do not include any adjustments that might result from the outcome of this uncertainty. If we are unable to fund our operations through operating cash flows, existing credit facilities,

We have substantial debt and, as a result, significant debt service obligations. As of March 31, 2011, we had approximately $1.1 billion of secured indebtedness outstanding. We are deferring payment of (i) interest and fees to our lenders under the Credit Agreement,

Thanks TraderWinds :missy:

Technically it could be a great mean reversion candidate.

But you can only buy it on good fundamentals. From the chart it looks like the company can go bankrupt.

Thanks TradeWinds :missy:

Technically it could be a great mean reversion candidate.

But you can only buy it on good fundamentals. From the chart it looks like the company can go bankrupt.

You called it right! ;)