Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

forexfilms

SPECIAL REPORT: The Fate of Greece

There was huge news coming out of the Euro Zone on Friday. Merkel and Sarkozy appeared together in a press conference saying they were working together on the Greek sovereign debt crisis and they both believe that the Greek debt situation needs to be resolved sooner rather than later. The may sticking point for German agreement was participation of private bond holders. Germany believes private bond holders should be required to rollover their bonds to longer maturities in order to help keep Greek yields down but France, the European Commission and the European Central Bank all opposed this idea. The agreement has been made to allow private bond holders such as pension funds and insurance firms to voluntarily buy more Greek bonds when their Greek bonds mature. This tactic is to avoid rating agencies such as S&P classifying the action as a default.

Greek bailout number 2 is also on the table. We have been discussing this possible bailout for weeks now and it has seemed like a sure thing. There was a rumor floating around on Friday that the second Greek bailout that was previously being discussed as an additional 90B Euro loan would be increased to 150B Euros. The first Greek bailout which Greece is still receiving payments from was finalized at 110B Euros. This would make a total of 260B Euros in loans to Greece as the Greek economy slips farther into recession. The recession shows no signs of stopping as Greek workers choose to strike and protest the strict austerity measures forced upon them rather than working and producing.

Why they "borrowing" them money when they in debt? How is it suppose help? If I went to the bank and told them I had no job, no money and no house they wouldn't give me a loan. (Never took economics)

The loans are to get them time to sell Greek government owned properties and start strict economic reforms in order to be able to pay back the loans. They are also hoping the Greek GDP improves which would help increase tax receipts which would help Greece pay back the loans.

Why they "borrowing" them money when they in debt? How is it suppose help? If I went to the bank and told them I had no job, no money and no house they wouldn't give me a loan. (Never took economics)

you should know how to convince the bank! :rofl:

papandreou.jpg.a30d51c7f3dae9f0fac812c3848067d0.jpg