Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Ingot54

Floored the Movie ... in 8 Parts

Watching this series of videos is a prerequisite for participating in the thread "Defining Yourself as a Trader":

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f208/defining-yourself-trader-9844.html#post119724

About 75 minutes worth of sobering documentary.

You can pretty much ignore part one after the first 2 minutes - it just repeats. But please do not judge the series on just one or two episodes - the whole series kept me going until I had seen all 8 parts.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Part 6:

Part 7:

Part 8:

Every wannabe trader should watch this to see the side of trading where people fail, or get "washed up" after years of successful trading. The movie shows the human drama that is involved in trading, the mentality, the personalities, the risk, and the harshness. It's a tough game. Even though the movie is based on the transition from the pit to computerized trading, I see all the same basic issues that go along with trading. There are different personality types, there are people who succeed for a while then blow up their account, there people who get marginally better but then never really become extremely proficient, there are people who get in way over their head right from the start, there are people who can't adapt to the changes, those are all the same stories that have been told a million times.

Every wannabe trader should watch this to see the side of trading where people fail, or get "washed up" after years of successful trading.

The edge they had disappeared simple as that. Worse what was a huge advantage (being on the floor) became a huge disadvantage. The only 'fault' was not recognising that. I talked a bit more about it in the other thread.

I saw this documentary about six months ago, let me see if I remember correctly; one guy lost his shirt and went back to clerking, one was so drunk they had to give him subtitles, one decided to go live in the woods, and another was convinced that computers were trying to kill him in his sleep.

Thank God for Linda Raschke. She came on right when I was so depressed I was ready to go into the bathroom and slit my wrists. Out of the whole movie, she was the only one that seemed really confident, successful, and happy to be trading. I remember thinking, "Geeze, the only person in this documentary with a set of nuts is the little blonde girl." And I really liked her comment about social Darwinism.

Glad I saw the documentary, but I'll never watch it again - unless I have a handful of xanax.