Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Tradewinds

Owner of a Thread / Their "rights"

I have visited at least one thread where the originator of the thread stated that he would delete posts that did not meet a certain criteria.

So, is there a way for some members to be able to control their thread to the extent that they can delete other people's posts? I guess if a person was a moderator, maybe they could do that.

It often happens that threads get cluttered up with garbage, get off track, and people's behavior can degrade. I wish there was some way of structuring a thread to deal with this problem.

Actually, I think it would be good if the owner of a blog had the right to delete other users comments. That way, the forum would remain the same, but the member would have total control over their blog. And structure the blog posts like the forum posts.

the thin wedge of big brother :)

I know what "big brother" is, but I'm not sure what you mean by "the thin wedge". I'm assuming that it means that a very small change, can be leverage open by a wedge, creating something bad later. I agree with that concept. Small, seemingly innocent changes can mean big problems down the road. If you are flying across the ocean, and the plane is only off by 1 degree, you going to be way off target when the fuel runs out. Big brother is when the few people who rule have oppressive control over everyone else. That's one extreme. There is also "Little brother". Little brother can throw a childish fit, and cry and scream and make life unpleasant for everyone else. Either way, the minority is inflicting something bad on everyone else.

I don't want big brother or little brother.

It often happens that threads get cluttered up with garbage, get off track, and people's behavior can degrade. I wish there was some way of structuring a thread to deal with this problem.

Actually, I think it would be good if the owner of a blog had the right to delete other users comments. .

Yes, I agree. I had a thread where someone made unwanted comments and politely asked them to delete the post. They refused. No problem , I quit posting, problem solved. :)

There is a place for blogs however and one can allow/disallow comments. You could use that function here at TL.

erie

TL has over 100,000 registered users. My personal opinion is that the 100,000 registered users is a bit misleading. How many members and visitors visit the site in a weeks period? How long do they stay logged in?

If advertising is the goal, then TL should want people to visit often, and stay for a while. What is going to influence people to do that?

I want information quickly. I don't want to read garbage. There may be some people who visit TL for personal drama and conflict, but I'm guessing that most aren't interested in that. But TL could have the best of both worlds, keep the forum the same where people can engage in whatever debate they want to. But allow the owner of a blog to have control over their blog, even delete other members comments.

It's not "Big Brother" because each individual only has control over their blog. Big Brother would be if TL just went around deleting people's post for no good reason. There is a big difference.

i apologise tradewinds - I thought you wanted to be able to delete posts from a thread you started as per the heading.....I think the thread is for open discussion, the blog possibly should have other rights which I can understand the blogger can choose to ignore, delete rubbish. But ultimately when it comes to the threads, ignore works, and as its a public form you have to put up with the public.

i apologise tradewinds - I thought you wanted to be able to delete posts from a thread you started as per the heading.....I think the thread is for open discussion, the blog possibly should have other rights which I can understand the blogger can choose to ignore, delete rubbish. But ultimately when it comes to the threads, ignore works, and as its a public form you have to put up with the public.

No problem. There was some overlap there as I was sort of working out the ideas. And the title of the thread isn't accurate. I guess I gave the thread a title before I'd worked out all the implications of the issue. Yes, I agree, it can't be called an open and public forum unless people have the freedom to post what they wish to a forum thread, . . . within the rules.

Okay, I guess the owner of a blog can delete comments. duh! I guess I should have looked at the situation more closely. A lot of the focus is on the threads, and even though I have made blog posts, I didn't really pay much attention to what was available. Then after seeing this:

Making High Probability Trades - Traders Laboratory Forums

a couple of times, I started wondering if DbPhoenix had some special "rights" to create what he did. But I guess anyone can structure a blog the way he did. The Blog options allow comments to be moderated before displaying.

Okay, I learned something new.

Hi Everyone,

I've looked into this request here are the findings:

First of all, vBulletin, as great as it is for forums is very hard to work with! :doh: So please bear with us while we work out you user requests.

Second, the blog area is having some issues (permission, people can't see them, etc) so please refrain using that area. Instead, if you want to post an article, please use the Article area (in main Nav bar)

Third, I've looked into giving people ability to delete comments in articles but as this is a vBulletin limitation, it is not (as far as I know) possible. However, please feel free to report ANY post\comment you don't want and I will diligently follow-up

Fourth, and this goes for the forums as well ... please report posts\issues as we are diligently monitoring the site and can help moving\trimming\cleaning up threads.

thanks!

MMS

I'm not sure giving the thread starter the power to delete posts is a goof idea (actually I am sure it is not). Blogs (when they work correctly) are the mechanism for someone to post 'in peace'. Threads are for discussion and giving the thread starter the power of censorship is a recipe for disaster. Common sense posting with firm but fair moderation is all that is required.