Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

So true...

Why risk $150 to make $150 when you can risk $150 to make $600? $800? $3000???

Reward to risk, baby!

Luv,

Phantom

My post makes #126!!

What a pity I had to read through 7 pages to get here. Many comments were worthwhile, but ...

Phantom - do you still have plans to summarise your ideas into a .pdf file or similar?

I'll come back in mid July ... this has been an exasperating read!

Is there a needle in this haystack, because ...

Phantom ...

i have read your posts and chart examples with interest. I agree that one must try other mkts than ES NQ etc. How do you pick other futures such as grains etc a) Do you regularly check all grains to see which one is setting up? same with the currency b) Do you have some grains/currency that you find better than others in the category?

Thank you ..great thread and hope you will keep posting your setups ..

Hi Pat,

Been on holiday w/o internet access, then chased from my home due to the LAS CONCHAS fire, so pardon my delays in responding...

I look for markets that provide opportunities for entries where I can get in with an initial risk of somewhere around $100-$150 per car, and markets that are not too prone to whiplash. Corn, beans, euro currency are my personal favorites, but there are others. I avoid stock indicies like the plague.

I personally think that most traders spread themselves WAY too thin by monitoring multiple markets. If one cannot master a single method of trading in one market, how can one expect to trade multiple markets effectively?

I will get deeper into price action in this thread when I can return to my home.

Luv,

Phantom

My post makes #126!!

What a pity I had to read through 7 pages to get here. Many comments were worthwhile, but ...

Phantom - do you still have plans to summarise your ideas into a .pdf file or similar?

I'll come back in mid July ... this has been an exasperating read!

Is there a needle in this haystack, because ...

Hi Ingot,

PM me and I'll provide an adequate reply to your questions...

Luv,

Phantom

Glad to see that this thread may continue on. I found that the thread started off providing some quality information and took a slight turn when people started questioning Phantom's motives. I believe this thread, along with some others here at traders lab, contain little pearls of wisdom that may provide a struggling trader with that aha moment. Continue your good deed Phantom, Im sure there are many lurkers like myself paying attention.

Regards,

Charts work with indicators if one knows how to apply the indicators

MACD: Moving Average Convergence-Divergence: Use this indicator to pinpoint reversals on failed tests of previous swing points. Also use this indicator on 20 sma tests to see if the test is "normal" for the current trend-the fast line on the MACD should not penetrate the slow line during the test.

RSI: Relative Strength Index" Set this at a value of 6. When overbought (touching the 75%

line) or oversold (touching the 25% line) look for reversals in the market when the RSI crosses over to head for the other side (OB or OS line)

Bollinger Band: The underlying premise is this: a 20 sma of price action channeled by a 2 SD band. 2 SDs are supposed to contain price action around 96% of the time?

So, how does this band give any advantage to the novice trader? Look for PINCHES in the band; places where volatility has subsided to historically low values. Then look for breakouts of the pinch zones with large range bars, especially following narrow, tightly ranged bars. These volatility breakout bars should be 2 to 3 times the average range of the range-bound bars. And the breakouts should be congruent with the overall trend (i.e. the 240 minute chart 20 sma determines the immediate trend?)

Reminder: the smallest time frames I look at are 10 & 15 minutes. Smaller time frames produce all kinds of problems.

Practice makes perfect!

Luv,

Phantom

Phantom,

Thanks so much for your food for thought. I have looked over charts that are futures other than the stock indexes and see many good trade opportunities. This is great information. The other observation is that almost all of the trades I see that fit the method are range bound prior to a news release, followed by the large increase in range and movement (breakout) from the interpretation of the news. The fundamentals (or at least the psychology of the participants) drives the price action. Since the market velocity is rather high for this type of trade, I am wondering what type of order you typically use for your trade entry to get a good fill?

It would also be great if you could expound more on your recent post on specific indicators,and how you use them to augment your trading style.

Thanks,

J.

Phantom, it seems to me the value of a hammer is at the bottom of a trend. Your example is showing the hammer as the prices are rolling over to the downside. A hammer, by definintion (Nison) would occur at the end of trend to qualify as a hammer. Even then, it would need confirmation to be of any value.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24590&stc=1&d=1305480204

This is the July Beans showing a perfect consolidation breakout followed by a hammer. Notice the "rattail" that helps identify the hammer. See if you can identify the other two hammers in this down move (both excellent places to pyramid your position).

This is only one of several breakout systems I developed and trade but I'm able to get in on several sustained breakouts each week with this method in just the currency futures alone.

Hope this helps.

Luv,

Phantom

Phantom - great topic and content, thanks!

Question - Have you looked at volume bars vs. time bars? I'm just curious to get your take, as in the last year I have found the volume bars much more compelling, particularly when used to quantify the battle between bulls and bears (aka price action).

Phantom,

Since the market velocity is rather high for this type of trade, I am wondering what type of order you typically use for your trade entry to get a good fill?

I usually use a stop order 1 tick outside the signal bar, hammer or doji, with a risk stop on the other side of the signal bar.

In the event that the market moves too quickly to get the stop placed prior to the breakout, I'll enter at the market with the same risk stop placement.

Phantom - great topic and content, thanks!

Question - Have you looked at volume bars vs. time bars? I'm just curious to get your take, as in the last year I have found the volume bars much more compelling, particularly when used to quantify the battle between bulls and bears (aka price action).

I haven't spent any time with volume bars per se; I am looking into range bars for specific applications and I do trade tic charts in some applications.

It would also be great if you could expound more on your recent post on specific indicators,and how you use them to augment your trading style.

MACD: I use this to filter trades. I only sell contracts when the fast line is below the slow line and I only buy contracts when the fast line is above the slow line. I use a 5,13,13 setting on the MACD for reasons beyond the scope of this training; just take it for what its worth to you.

RSI: I told you how to use this, but I don't use it any more because I use market price as it relates to the Bollinger band as a proxy for RSI.

Bollinger band: I look for pinches in the BB to show me that volatility has decreased prior to my entries. I NEVER chase the market; if I miss a breakout opportunity, I close shop because I know that there will ALWAYS be more opportunities in the future, as long as I haven't depleted my trading account by trading in an undisciplined manner.

Other than that, I use price rejection and clear channel breakouts as my cornerstones to making money consistently.

If you're looking for more than this, you'll have to look elsewhere...

Luv,

Phantom

Phantom,

Thanks so much for your food for thought. I have looked over charts that are futures other than the stock indexes and see many good trade opportunities. This is great information. The other observation is that almost all of the trades I see that fit the method are range bound prior to a news release, followed by the large increase in range and movement (breakout) from the interpretation of the news. The fundamentals (or at least the psychology of the participants) drives the price action.

Jon,

I never really concerned myself with the reasons behind price movement, be it psychology of traders, supply/demand, someone trying to corner the market, WHATEVER...

It is what it is, and my attempts (or any other person's for that matter) will not produce one single iota of change to what is going to happen in the future. Those folks that tell you they know why the market did what it did or will do what it is going to do are only kidding themselves and you, if you choose to believe it.

My best advice to you is to stop looking for the why of price action and focus on the fact that the market is doing what it is doing, anti-dis-irregardless of the reasons behind the events.

Furthermore, don't kid yourself into believing that you'll need a report to drive the markets. Although it is true that reports have a tendency to create hyper-volatile moments, most of my success on report days has come from being in position BEFORE the news release. If you have a way of consistently beating the markets after the news release, I'm all ears.

Anyway, if anything this thread reveals has rung true to you, just focus on the cornerstones I mentioned in my last post: volatility, channel breaks and price rejection.

In my mind, nothing else matters.

Luv,

Phantom

For those of you looking for more detail on Phantom's "hammers", without all the wisecracks and interference

Read ........ Candlesticks and Pivot Point Trading Triggers by John Person

He looks for support/ resistance at a pivot. Then he looks for a hammer / doji at this level.Then he trades in the direction of the next closing bar which is higher / lower

Simple, and I find it works on 30min charts and higher

You can find the book at 4 SHARED.COM

Regards

bobc

hi Phantom,

What I struggle with, is why you refer to Bolly Bands, 20 ema, MACD, Hammers etc,

when it is obvious that you can read price behaviour so clearly.

Hi,

In my opinion,it "so clearly" appears only in hidnsight. If you eliminate all the candles at the right of the red arrow, the situation is less clear, especially given the prior bullishness of the trend.

Kuokam

Hi,

In my opinion,it "so clearly" appears only in hidnsight. If you eliminate all the candles at the right of the red arrow, the situation is less clear, especially given the prior bullishness of the trend.

Kuokam

Well said, my friend. Well said.

Luv,

Phantom

Thanks Phantom, your help has been invaluable. Great to see an experienced trader giving up precious time to help the stugglers. It took me 4 years to get rid of my stupid indicators but I'll never look back. It's amazing how those wiggly lines stop you seeing what is really going on.

I received a PM asking about this trade.

I missed this trading signal last night because of its timing, but for those of you around the globe who were up and monitoring the EC, I thought I'd go through it for you...

The euro market had been channeling for several hours. Just after midnight (GMT +7) the market broke upwards out of the channel. We see the price action waiver around for awhile and then retrace to the breakout zone, followed by a quick move upwards and back down.

The market proceeded to move through the channel and downward, followed by a test of the lower channel zone. A doji formed at the test point. A downward break of this doji around the 1.4220 area led to a sharp decline to the 1.4120 area, a $1200 (plus or minus) profit per car for those involved. Not bad for a $200 risk...

Notice how waiting for the doji test of the channel zone kept one from taking the breakout to the upside and getting stopped out.

Similar signals in this market happen all the time.

Question is, are you getting these R/R ratios in your trades?

Luv,

Phantom

attachment.php?attachmentid=25407&stc=1&d=1311257588

5aa7109018dfa_ECbreakoutsignal.jpg.88f845d3423fb91fed2739d48a9aff72.jpg

Incidently, I devised this method for futures traders.

Forex traders will have to work it out on their own; I have no idea what the eur/usd chart looks like pertaining to this matter.

I stay away from forex due to the ridiculous spreads I've seen some of my students encounter. My commissions are way lower than these spreads.

One can easily find sub $8 round turn commissions if one does the leg work.

A dollar saved is a dollar saved...

Luv,

Phantom

P,

The "doji test bar" is nor a very good doji. If I combine the "doji" with the candle prior to it, it makes a better doji. On the 60 min time frame there was clear rejection of the high.

What else would have been clues to wait and take the short?

Thanks,

J

The "doji test bar" is not a very good doji. If I combine the "doji" with the candle prior to it, it makes a better doji. On the 60 min time frame there was clear rejection of the high.

What else would have been a clue to wait and take the short?

Granted, the opening price is not equal to the closing price, but hey, if we waited for perfection, we'd never get anything done...

The divergence between the 17:45 high and the higher 01:45 high against the descending MACD is another clue that this market is weakening.

Luv,

Phantom

Fantastic information presented here Phantom, really appreciate your generosity and persistence.

However the focus so far has been on taking entries - but experienced traders know we only make money on the exits, and skill is required to deal with all the psychological and financial dramas that may occur on the journey from entry to exit!

Can you please tell us more about your trade management and exit strategies? Not necessarily expecting codified rules here, but your general approach to (for example) scaling out, reducing risk, and spotting signs to take the money and run.

Fantastic information presented here Phantom, really appreciate your generosity and persistence.

However the focus so far has been on taking entries - but experienced traders know we only make money on the exits, and skill is required to deal with all the psychological and financial dramas that may occur on the journey from entry to exit!

Can you please tell us more about your trade management and exit strategies? Not necessarily expecting codified rules here, but your general approach to (for example) scaling out, reducing risk, and spotting signs to take the money and run.

Glad you're not expecting rules, because trade management has always been a "feel" thing for me. Taking money out of the market is the most difficult part of the trade, imho. I will now begin to address this issue in the next series of posts.

To begin, I EXPECT a test of my risk stop as soon as I enter a position. This mindset puts me at a distinct advantage over most traders, imo, because I don't have to take the trade off on the first positive tick in my direction after "sweating out" a near stop out. Since I usually exit the trade prior to the close, so I don't have to carry the risk through an opening (my broker LOVES me because of this), all I have to do initially is maintain my sanity as the market does its best to test my resolve.

Only today I was in a CL trade where the market came within 1 tick of taking me out at a loss before moving in my favor and making me a handsome profit. And this is by no means an isolated incident.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that once I set my initial risk stop, immediately following my entry (I NEVER use mental stops; I ALWAYS use hard stops and I NEVER move them back to give the market "more room") I do not tinker with the risk stop until after the market has done certain things that I will point out soon.

If you've followed my posts throughout the thread, you know that I enter on a breakout of one side of a hammer or doji bar and set my initial stop 1 tick past the other side of that same signal bar.

This approach is so very important that I will segregate it from the rest of the story and let it sink in before I continue to post on this subject.

Luv,

Phantom

Glad you're not expecting rules, because trade management has always been a "feel" thing for me. Taking money out of the market is the most difficult part of the trade, imho. I will now begin to address this issue in the next series of posts.

To begin, I EXPECT a test of my risk stop as soon as I enter a position. This mindset puts me at a distinct advantage over most traders, imo, because I don't have to take the trade off on the first positive tick in my direction after "sweating out" a near stop out. [...]

Trade management is more art than science. Your comments about expecting a test of your stop are very enlightening, something I will try and get my poor scared mind to emulate. Also very interesting that your stop at only 1 tick beyond the previous bar's low/high has proved to be such a strong support/resistance area.

Really looking forward to learning more on how you manage your trades, Phantom.

Excelent post on trade management ..and Stop location. Phantom I dont trade CL cuz of the velocity of its moves and knowing my limitations in trading... I would appreciate if you could post the chart (s) setup on CL that you took ...

Thank you.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By David Carter
      My broker (Jones Mutual) advised me to use candlesticks when CFD trading, as the simple line graph option does not give you enough information - is this correct?
    • By inthemoneystocks
      One of the most important reasons why traders take big losses is because they often fail to recognize when a trade has gone wrong. You see, stopping out of a trade is probably the biggest fault of traders and investors. Often, this happens to young and inexperienced traders and investors, but I know many veteran traders and investors that struggle with this as well. Early in my own career I struggled with stopping out of a bad trade myself, so I can sympathize with this problem. 

The problem with taking a loss is really two fold. First, the trader has to admit that he is wrong. As you all know, as human beings we all hate to be wrong. The ego simply gets in the way and we all want to always be right all the time. The first secret in this business is to check the ego at the door. The market does not care about your the color of your skin, religion or anything else. It will move in the direction of the money and that is the bottom line. Once a trader or investor goes into what I call 'hope mode' the trade is over. I'm sure everyone has been in this position at one time or another. Simply put there is no room for ego or hope in the stock market. The market is always right and there is no reason to fight it. 

Here is the second problem with taking a loss, it hurts. Pain and pleasure are the two reasons why humans do anything at all. As a human being, we are always looking to have pleasure and avoid pain. Well, losing money is painful and many people would rather simply hold a losing equity than lock in a small loss and move on. I cannot tell you how often I see a trader hold a losing trade only to see the position move further out of the money. Many years ago I watched a day trader blow up a $200,000 account in a single day averaging in on a bad day trade. To this day I can remember the look on his face as his money vanished in thin air. Believe it or not, this trader could have exited the position with a $500.00 loss, but instead he kept averaging in and fighting the position until he was wiped out. As a rule, once you have your full position you should never average in on a trade. At that point, it is critical to know where your max loss is going to be and stop out if that level is breached.

Now when should we stop out? The answer to this question is not that simple, but here is what I personally do. I always place my stop loss below an important breakout or pivot on the chart. You see, prior breakout or pivot levels are usually defended when retested. After all, this is usually an area where institutional traders and investors got involved, that is why there is a pivot low or high on the chart to begin with. If that level is breached on a closing basis then I will move out of the position. So If I took a trade based on a daily chart pattern then I will usually check the daily and weekly chart levels. If there is a major pivot on the weekly chart then I will use a week chart close as my stop out level. While this method may not be perfect, it has saved me from much bigger losses when I have been wrong.

Nicholas Santiago
    • By LindsayBev
      Hello!  I am new to this forum.  I am interested in learning about candlestick reading.  I would appreciate hearing from any that will answer this post WHICH book you found the most helpful?  
    • By trading4life
      Hello, My name is trading4life.
      I just joined this forum.
  • Topics

• Date: 17th April 2024. Market News – Appetite for risk-taking remains weak. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Stocks, Treasury yields and US Dollar stay firmed. Fed Chair Powell added to the recent sell off. His slightly more hawkish tone further priced out chances for any imminent action and the timing of a cut was pushed out further. He suggested if higher inflation does persist, the Fed will hold rates steady “for as long as needed.” Implied Fed Fund: There remains no real chance for a move on May 1 and at their intraday highs the June implied funds rate future showed only 5 bps, while July reflected only 10 bps. And a full 25 bps was not priced in until November, with 38 bps in cuts seen for 2024. US & EU Economies Diverging: Lagarde says ECB is moving toward rate cuts – if there are no major shocks. UK March CPI inflation falls less than expected. Output price inflation has started to nudge higher, despite another decline in input prices. Together with yesterday’s higher than expected wage numbers, the data will add to the arguments of the hawks at the BoE, which remain very reluctant to contemplate rate cuts. Canada CPI rose 0.6% in March, double the 0.3% February increase BUT core eased. The doors are still open for a possible cut at the next BoC meeting on June 5. IMF revised up its global growth forecast for 2024 with inflation easing, in its new World Economic Outlook. This is consistent with a global soft landing, according to the report. Financial Markets Performance:   USDJPY also inched up to 154.67 on expectations the BoJ will remain accommodative and as the market challenges a perceived 155 red line for MoF intervention. USOIL prices slipped -0.15% to $84.20 per barrel. Gold rose 0.24% to $2389.11 per ounce, a new record closing high as geopolitical risks overshadowed the impacts of rising rates and the stronger dollar. Market Trends:   Wall Street waffled either side of unchanged on the day amid dimming rate cut potential, rising yields, and earnings. The major indexes closed mixed with the Dow up 0.17%, while the S&P500 and NASDAQ lost -0.21% and -0.12%, respectively. Asian stock markets mostly corrected again, with Japanese bourses underperforming and the Nikkei down -1.3%. Mainland China bourses were a notable exception and the CSI 300 rallied 1.4%, but the MSCI Asia Pacific index came close to erasing the gains for this year. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.vvvvvvv
    • Date: 16th April 2024. Market News – Stocks and currencies sell off; USD up. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Stocks and currencies sell off, while the US Dollar picks up haven flows. Treasuries yields spiked again to fresh 2024 peaks before paring losses into the close, post, the stronger than expected retail sales eliciting a broad sell off in the markets. Rates surged as the data pushed rate cut bets further into the future with July now less than a 50-50 chance. Wall Street finished with steep declines led by tech. Stocks opened in the green on a relief trade after Israel repulsed the well advertised attack from Iran on Sunday. But equities turned sharply lower and extended last week’s declines amid the rise in yields. Investor concerns were intensified as Israel threatened retaliation. There’s growing anxiety over earnings even after a big beat from Goldman Sachs. UK labor market data was mixed, as the ILO unemployment rate unexpectedly lifted, while wage growth came in higher than anticipated – The data suggests that the labor market is catching up with the recession. Mixed messages then for the BoE. China grew by 5.3% in Q1 however the numbers are causing a lot of doubts over sustainability of this growth. The bounce came in the first 2 months of the year. In March, growth in retail sales slumped and industrial output decelerated below forecasts, suggesting challenges on the horizon. Today: Germany ZEW, US housing starts & industrial production, Fed Vice Chair Philip Jefferson speech, BOE Bailey speech & IMF outlook. Earnings releases: Morgan Stanley and Bank of America. Financial Markets Performance:   The US Dollar rallied to 106.19 after testing 106.25, gaining against JPY and rising to 154.23, despite intervention risk. Yen traders started to see the 160 mark as the next Resistance level. Gold surged 1.76% to $2386 per ounce amid geopolitical risks and Chinese buying, even as the USD firmed and yields climbed. USOIL is flat at $85 per barrel. Market Trends:   Breaks of key technical levels exacerbated the sell off. Tech was the big loser with the NASDAQ plunging -1.79% to 15,885 while the S&P500 dropped -1.20% to 5061, with the Dow sliding -0.65% to 37,735. The S&P had the biggest 2-day sell off since March 2023. Nikkei and ASX lost -1.9% and -1.8% respectively, and the Hang Seng is down -2.1%. European bourses are down more than -1% and US futures are also in the red. CTA selling tsunami: “Just a few points lower CTAs will for the first time this year start selling in size, to add insult to injury, we are breaking major trend-lines in equities and the gamma stabilizer is totally gone.” Short term CTA threshold levels are kicking in big time according to GS. Medium term is 4873 (most important) while the long term level is at 4605. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 15th April 2024. Market News – Negative Reversion; Safe Havens Rally. Trading Leveraged Products is risky Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Markets weigh risk of retaliation cycle in Middle East. Initially the retaliatory strike from Iran on Israel fostered a haven bid, into bonds, gold and other haven assets, as it threatens a wider regional conflict. However, this morning, Oil and Asian equity markets were muted as traders shrugged off fears of a war escalation in the Middle East. Iran said “the matter can be deemed concluded”, and President Joe Biden has called on Israel to exercise restraint following Iran’s drone and missile strike, as part of Washington’s efforts to ease tensions in the Middle East and minimize the likelihood of a widespread regional conflict. New US and UK sanctions banned deliveries of Russian supplies, i.e. key industrial metals, produced after midnight on Friday. Aluminum jumped 9.4%, nickel rose 8.8%, suggesting brokers are bracing for major supply chain disruption. Financial Markets Performance:   The USDIndex fell back from highs over 106 to currently 105.70. The Yen dip against USD to 153.85. USOIL settled lower at 84.50 per barrel and Gold is trading below session highs at currently $2357.92 per ounce. Copper, more liquid and driven by the global economy over recent weeks, was more subdued this morning. Currently at $4.3180. Market Trends:   Asian stock markets traded mixed, but European and US futures are slightly higher after a tough session on Friday and yields have picked up. Mainland China bourses outperformed overnight, after Beijing offered renewed regulatory support. The PBOC meanwhile left the 1-year MLF rate unchanged, while once again draining funds from the system. Nikkei slipped 1% to 39,114.19. On Friday, NASDAQ slumped -1.62% to 16,175, unwinding most of Thursday’s 1.68% jump to a new all-time high at 16,442. The S&P500 fell -1.46% and the Dow dropped 1.24%. Declines were broadbased with all 11 sectors of the S&P finishing in the red. JPMorgan Chase sank 6.5% despite reporting stronger profit in Q1. The nation’s largest bank gave a forecast for a key source of income this year that fell below Wall Street’s estimate, calling for only modest growth. Apple shipments drop by 10% in Q1. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • The morning of my last post I happened to glance over to the side and saw “...angst over the FOMC’s rate trajectory triggered a flight to safety, hence boosting the haven demand. “   http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/topic/21621-hfmarkets-hfmcom-market-analysis-services/page/17/?tab=comments#comment-228522   I reacted, but didn’t take time to  respond then... will now --- HFBlogNews, I don’t know if you are simply aggregating the chosen narratives for the day or if it’s your own reporting... either way - “flight to safety”????  haven ?????  Re: “safety  - ”Those ‘solid rocks’ are getting so fragile a hit from a dandelion blowball might shatter them... like now nobody wants to buy longer term new issues at these rates...yet the financial media still follows the scripts... The imagery they pound day in and day out makes it look like the Fed knows what they’re doing to help ‘us’... They do know what they’re doing - but it certainly is not to help ‘us’... and it is not to ‘control’ inflation... And at some point in the not too distant future, the interest due will eat a huge portion of the ‘revenue’ Re: “haven” The defaults are coming ...  The US will not be the first to default... but it will certainly not be the very last to default !! ...Enough casual anti-white racism for the day  ... just sayin’
    • Date: 12th April 2024. Producer Inflation On The Rise, But Will Earnings Hold Demand Steady?     Producer inflation rose slightly less than previous expectations, but the annual figure continues to rise. The annual PPI rose to 2.1% and the Core PPI rose to 2.4%. The NASDAQ and SNP500 end the day higher, but the Dow Jones continues to struggle. This morning earnings kick off with the banking sector including JP Morgan, BlackRock and Wells Fargo. All 3 stocks trade higher during pre-trading hours. The Euro trades lower against all currencies despite the ECB’s attempt to establish a hawkish tone. USA100 – The NASDAQ Climbs Higher, But Is the Growth Sustainable? The NASDAQ was the only index which did not witness a significant decline at the opening of the US session. In addition to this, the USA100 is the only index which is witnessing indications of a bullish market. The price has crossed onto a higher high breaking the resistance level at $18,269. The index is also trading above the 75-Bar EMA and at the 65.00 level on the RSI which signals buyers are controlling the market. However, a similar large bullish impulse wave was also formed on the 3rd and 5th of the month and was followed by a correction. Therefore, investors need to be cautious of a bearish breakout which may signal a correction back to the 75-bar EMA (18,165). The medium-term growth and its sustainability will depend on the upcoming earnings data.   Bond yields declined during this morning’s Asian session by 18 points, which is positive for the stock market. However, even with the decline, bond yields remain significantly higher than Monday’s opening yield. This week the 10-year bond yield rose from 4.424 to 4.558, which is a concern. If bond yields again start to rise, the stock market potentially can again become pressured. 25% of the NASDAQ ended the day lower and 75% higher. This gives a clear indication of the sentiment towards the technology sector and reassures traders about the price movement. Another positive was all of the top 12 influential stocks rose in value. Apple, NVIDIA and Broadcom saw the strongest gains, all rising more than 4%. Producer inflation read slightly lower than expectations, however, the index continues to rise. The Producer Price Index rose from 1.6% to 2.1% and the Core PPI from 2.1% to 2.4%. Therefore, it is not indicating inflation will become easier to tackle in the upcoming months. For this reason, investors should note that inflation and the monetary policy is still a risk and can trigger strong bearish impulse waves. EURUSD – The Euro Declines Against Major Currencies The European Central Bank is attempting to concentrate on the positive factors and give no indications of when the committee may opt to cut rates. For example, President Lagarde advises “sales figures” remain stable, but the issue remains they are stably low. Officials said the decline in prices generally confirms medium-term forecasts and is ensured by a decrease in the cost of food and goods. Most experts continue to believe that the first reduction in interest rates will happen in June, and there may be three or four in total during the year. Due to this, the Euro is declining against all currencies including the Pound, Yen and Swiss Franc. The US Dollar Index on the other hand trades 0.39% higher and is almost trading at a 23-week high. Due to this momentum, the price of the exchange continues to indicate a decline in favor of the US Dollar.   Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Michalis Efthymiou Market Analyst HMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.