Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TinGull

Avoiding burnout

What do you do to avoid burnout? Right now, I'm feeling totally burnt out on the markets. I'm trying to figure out if it's just because I've been learning so much about Market Profile and other things that I just need to rest and let it sink in...or if it's 'cause the markets have been crap this whole week and sitting and staring at the same quote flash across my screen is wearing me thin.

Anyone else feeling like this lately? And, if you ever have felt burnt out on the markets, what do you do to come at it with a fresh eye again? Do you go out to a concert? Do you garden? I'm all ears :)

Chris

What do you do to avoid burnout? Right now, I'm feeling totally burnt out on the markets. I'm trying to figure out if it's just because I've been learning so much about Market Profile and other things that I just need to rest and let it sink in...or if it's 'cause the markets have been crap this whole week and sitting and staring at the same quote flash across my screen is wearing me thin.

Anyone else feeling like this lately? And, if you ever have felt burnt out on the markets, what do you do to come at it with a fresh eye again? Do you go out to a concert? Do you garden? I'm all ears :)

Chris

Sit in a quiet place and just meditate, be thankful for your health, your loved ones, and the opportunity to be burned out.

Maybe take some extra time during lunch hour trading to do something you like. Taking time away from trading can be missed opportunity for profit, but it can leave you refreshed

Take a long walk.

This is just what I do when I get worn, although it doesn't happen often now that I implement the above when I can.

Way to go Kiwi ! Guys like that spammer make my skin crawl whenever I think of them. Unfortunately there are far too many of those leeches running around. Let's be done with this one for good, I hope.

Hope you are doing well.

As for Tin Gull's issue of burn-out.. well, I suppose there are a couple of general ideas we all follow when we have had too much of something. First is to take a break, either a prolonged one so you can come at this fresh, or perhaps even better yet, either takes breaks all throughout your trading day or just trade the first 2 to 3 hours of the morning and be done with it and go have some fun.

I have grown to love trading so I can't say I have felt burn-out as yet, but I think you will find it is always a good idea to keep a balanced life. Spend time with your loved ones, take up a small hobby, do some limited but regular volunteer work or find something else that really interests you that does not fall under the category of work or earning a living. My toughest times trading was when I was trading too tight of a time frame each day. I moved up to a significantly higher intra-day time frame, and lo and behold, not only less stress but better results.. much better. Anyway, if you set aside some time to think about it, you will come up with your own solutions.

Best Regards and Happy Trading To All :D

Happy Trading :D

Hi Tin,

Sitting the entire trading day can definitely get me tired. I like to trade the first 2 hours and be done with. I like to watch a movie during the doldrums and stay away from my charts as well.

Couple of other things I recommend: meditation, going out to PARTY once a week, hit the gym, self hypnosis, sleep lol

Yep sleep.. on burn out days I sleep like 12 hours.

Excellent. Thanks guys for the great posts, I do appreciate it :) I think I'm gonna setup my drums and recording stuff again and have a go at it. Haven't been into music (which is my reason for existing!!) for a loooooong time and think that's a big hole in my life that needs to be filled. I think it'll help me have a clearer head.

:) Thanks again, you guys rock!

What do you do to avoid burnout? Right now, I'm feeling totally burnt out on the markets. I'm trying to figure out if it's just because I've been learning so much about Market Profile and other things that I just need to rest and let it sink in...or if it's 'cause the markets have been crap this whole week

Chris

First of all, if you are LEARNING to use a new tool, you should not be trading with it live. Go SIM first !

Second, the markets were rockin this week.....many, many great opportunities for profit. Best to take some time off and get that attitude readjusted.

Thanks Sys...for the style that I trade the markets were crap. The YM was extremely rangebound and very limited in it's range. For scalp type trades and the ER...I agree whole heartedly. The market was great this week for that. There were just a lot of fakeouts on the YM this past week. I'm totally all set now, though...got refreshed this weekend and am ready to rock!

Here's what I used to do that caused me burnout, after the markets closed, I would still have the charts up, analyzing all by rights and wrongs, mostly wrongs and see if there were any new setups.

On the weekends I would go over charts.

Like you said, you're learning market profile so deep down inside you want to get it sooner rather than later and by always hammering away at it till you get it is an excellent way to burnout.

wsam, I absolutely agree. Thanks to my wonderful girl I shut my door at 4:15 and am not allowed to look at charts until 8am the next morning ;) On the weekends I just poke around this forum, but that's all for trading stuff now. My mornings are spent doing my market research, not my mornings, nights, and weekends (and dreams)...

It's nice to have "office hours" and dedicate a work schedule to my "job". No need to get over-consumed by it all.