Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TheNegotiator

Does NLP Really Work?

So does NLP really work and can it help traders? As far as I'm aware, it's a pretty broad subject so not all of it would be applicable to trading I'm sure. But could you literally talk yourself into trading well or is this just ridiculous? Does everything still come down to your strategy and work ethic?

it has some merit, but not THE answer.

Believing your a winner wont help if your strategy is flawed.

eg I dont think its worth learning from/reviewing losing trades where you went wrong. You just enforce/remember mstakes. I found it more productive just recalling my good trades and remembering what a good trade looks like so then i just recognise good set ups, and the bad arent in memory to even contemplate/consider

NLP can be very effective for a trader, but it is not an exact science, rather an art and as such, results dramatically vary.

Our mind is too complex to be easily programmed by some universal tool. Every case is unique and so are NLP nuances to be applied.

Applying the underlying principles of NeuroLinguisticProgramming is the absolute best thing a very tiny percentage of traders can do to improve their trading...

For another minor percentage, it is marginally helpful...

And for all the rest - it's useless

jmho :)

I am a certified NLP Master Practitioner.

NLP can do wonders for your trading (and your life as a whole I might add). Just don't expect anything to happen after reading a book or two. I have modelled expert traders to find what separated them for the masses (often on a subconscious level), and afterwards 'installed' many of their supporting belief systems in my own model of the world.

Very powerful stuff. Not a quick fix. You have to do the work.

I am a certified NLP Master Practitioner.

NLP can do wonders for your trading (and your life as a whole I might add). Just don't expect anything to happen after reading a book or two. I have modelled expert traders to find what separated them for the masses (often on a subconscious level), and afterwards 'installed' many of their supporting belief systems in my own model of the world.

Very powerful stuff. Not a quick fix. You have to do the work.

If NLP is to work then, it sounds as if you need some sort of reference point. Unfortunately, the vast majority of us aren't in the position where we have first hand knowledge of the inner workings of great traders' minds. Maybe you could share one or two nuggets FJK?

Maybe you could share one or two nuggets FJK?

It will not be useful to you without the knowledge of NLP, but here it goes:

The biggest eureka moment for me came when I discovered the relationship between the expert traders and the market. They did not compete with-or think of "beating" the market. They thought they were in a harmonious symbiosis extracting what the market offered them. This meant that they were more relaxed and executed better keeping emotions out of the equation. NLP wise this is located in the Identity section of the logical levels. You would get a therapist to install a version of this in your mind that fits your model of the world ;)

If you skip the flashy websites and crappy books about NLP and look into the origins, you'll find that it is all about modelling. Modelling experts so you can become one yourself.