Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Sierra

Lap Tops for Trading

I'm tech challenged and know very little about computers. I'm looking for a lap top I can day trade on. My budget is $1,600. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Is any one familiar with the ASUS G73SW-XT1? Would this work?

I'm tech challenged and know very little about computers. I'm looking for a lap top I can day trade on. My budget is $1,600. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Is any one familiar with the ASUS G73SW-XT1? Would this work?

that's one powerful machine.

you did not say what type of trading do you do... daytrading covers a wide range of activities.

what is your software? how many charts? how many indicators? what kind of analysis?

all of these affect your computer purchasing decision.

Once I bought a high end gaming laptop, and it was a nightmare. I returned two of them, and got something more mainstream. My main computer is a Dell Studio XPS laptop which has been very reliable. I use it with an external screen which can be a little tricky. When I close out a program, I make sure to move the open window back to my laptop. If I disconnect the external monitor, then start the laptop back up again, then open software up, the software will try to open up in the external monitor that isn't attached anymore. This can cause some confusion and aggravation. Because the external monitor is not attached, a window can open up, but you don't see it on the laptop screen.

that's one powerful machine.

you did not say what type of trading do you do... daytrading covers a wide range of activities.

what is your software? how many charts? how many indicators? what kind of analysis?

all of these affect your computer purchasing decision.

Tams, thanks for the reply. I mainly trade the ES emini. On my desk top I have 3 monitors and usually 6 charts. I have approx 4 indicators on each chart ( stoch., macd, cci, etc.). I've just started looking into a lap top but not yet sure I'm willing to give up my desk top which I had made for trading but I do need a good back up and one I can take with me when I travel.

Once I bought a high end gaming laptop, and it was a nightmare. I returned two of them, and got something more mainstream. My main computer is a Dell Studio XPS laptop which has been very reliable. I use it with an external screen which can be a little tricky. When I close out a program, I make sure to move the open window back to my laptop. If I disconnect the external monitor, then start the laptop back up again, then open software up, the software will try to open up in the external monitor that isn't attached anymore. This can cause some confusion and aggravation. Because the external monitor is not attached, a window can open up, but you don't see it on the laptop screen.

Tradewinds, thanks for the reply. My first computer I purchased for trading was a gaming computer and it was also a night mare and had to be replaced for one I had made for trading. I mainly day trade the ES emini. Do you know if the lap top I mentioned is a gaming computer? If so I'll keep looking.

I looked at some reviews, and people do seem to be interested in this laptop for gaming. And I did see this comment:

"yes, there was a Sandy Bridge issue; however, based on a post directly on Asus's website. when you buy this laptop, just make sure that it has the sticker for New Revision Certified Design"

The reviews seem to be good. The problem with reviews, is that most people give the review right after they bought the computer, and problems don't arise until later.

I am not a computer expert. I have built my own computer, but I only know enough to be dangerous. :rofl:

Here are the specs:

ASUS G73SW-XT1 17.3" Black Laptop

Memory Type: DDR3

Memory Speed: PC3-10600

Memory Speed MHz: 1333MHz

Memory Slots (Total): 4

Total Memory Size: 8GB

Maximum Memory Supported: 16GB

Display Type: Full HD Display

Screen Size: 17.3"

Maximum Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Capacity: 500GB

Drive Types: Hard Drive

Hard Drive Speed: 7200 RPM

Processor Brand: Intel

Processor Class: Core i7

Processor Type: Quad-Core

Processor Speed: 2.0GHz

Processor Number: 2630QM

Graphics Description: Dedicated Graphics

GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M

Video Memory: 1.5GB DDR5 VRAM

Lifestyle: Gaming

Entertainment

Condition: New

Operating Systems: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Platform: Laptop

Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi Burner/BD Player

Capacity: 8-in-1

Supplemental Drive Type: Media Reader

Media Types: Memory Stick

Memory Stick Duo

Memory Stick PRO Duo

Memory Stick PRO

Multi Media Card

Mini-Secure Digital

Secure Digital

xD-Picture Card

Audio Description: Integrated Audio

USB Ports (Total): 3 - USB 2.0

1 - USB 3.0

LAN Ports: 1

Audio Out Jacks: 1

Microphone Jacks: 1

VGA Ports: 1

HDMI Ports: 1

Communications Description: Integrated LAN

Integrated Wireless LAN

Integrated Bluetooth

Interface Type: RJ-45 Ethernet Connector

Bluetooth™

802.11b/g/n Wireless Networking

Data Transfer Rate: 10/100/1000Mbps Network

Up to 300 Mbps

Protocols: 802.11b

802.11g

802.11n

Width: 16.6"

Height: 0.8" - 2.3"

Depth: 12.8"

Weight: 8 lbs

Mouse Type: Touch Pad

Buttons: 2

Keyboard Type: Fullsize with Numberpad

Battery Type: 8-Cell Lithium-ion

I looked at some reviews, and people do seem to be interested in this laptop for gaming. And I did see this comment:

"yes, there was a Sandy Bridge issue; however, based on a post directly on Asus's website. when you buy this laptop, just make sure that it has the sticker for New Revision Certified Design"

The reviews seem to be good. The problem with reviews, is that most people give the review right after they bought the computer, and problems don't arise until later.

I am not a computer expert. I have built my own computer, but I only know enough to be dangerous. :rofl:

Here are the specs:

ASUS G73SW-XT1 17.3" Black Laptop

Memory Type: DDR3

Memory Speed: PC3-10600

Memory Speed MHz: 1333MHz

Memory Slots (Total): 4

Total Memory Size: 8GB

Maximum Memory Supported: 16GB

Display Type: Full HD Display

Screen Size: 17.3"

Maximum Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Capacity: 500GB

Drive Types: Hard Drive

Hard Drive Speed: 7200 RPM

Processor Brand: Intel

Processor Class: Core i7

Processor Type: Quad-Core

Processor Speed: 2.0GHz

Processor Number: 2630QM

Graphics Description: Dedicated Graphics

GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M

Video Memory: 1.5GB DDR5 VRAM

Lifestyle: Gaming

Entertainment

Condition: New

Operating Systems: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Platform: Laptop

Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi Burner/BD Player

Capacity: 8-in-1

Supplemental Drive Type: Media Reader

Media Types: Memory Stick

Memory Stick Duo

Memory Stick PRO Duo

Memory Stick PRO

Multi Media Card

Mini-Secure Digital

Secure Digital

xD-Picture Card

Audio Description: Integrated Audio

USB Ports (Total): 3 - USB 2.0

1 - USB 3.0

LAN Ports: 1

Audio Out Jacks: 1

Microphone Jacks: 1

VGA Ports: 1

HDMI Ports: 1

Communications Description: Integrated LAN

Integrated Wireless LAN

Integrated Bluetooth

Interface Type: RJ-45 Ethernet Connector

Bluetooth™

802.11b/g/n Wireless Networking

Data Transfer Rate: 10/100/1000Mbps Network

Up to 300 Mbps

Protocols: 802.11b

802.11g

802.11n

Width: 16.6"

Height: 0.8" - 2.3"

Depth: 12.8"

Weight: 8 lbs

Mouse Type: Touch Pad

Buttons: 2

Keyboard Type: Fullsize with Numberpad

Battery Type: 8-Cell Lithium-ion

Thanks for the info Tradewinds

Take a look at Lenovo as well. The T-series laptops have always been as close to bullet-proof as you are likely to find. Ditto the X series if you ever need something really portable.

Thanks Potiphar Breen.

Just bought an Asus G73 funnily enough. (from using a MacBook pro). Of course it was for trading *cough* and not for playing games :D

Great machine though the one big issue is the track pad can become a bit ' wierd', Manifests itself by scrolling oddly/jerkily and I have had phantom 'clicks' even if you turn the sensitivity right down. One actually caused an order! It seems to be a common issue. External mouse is fine.

Apart from that it's a really nice machine quiet and cool (thanks to a couple of really big fans), even when running games at high resolution and maximum graphics *cough* I mean loading complicated workspaces :)

If you can live with the trackpad (which is OK most the time if you get the most recent drivers) I'd go for it.

One last thing is it's pretty big and heavy, doesn't bother me I can use the exercise!

Just bought an Asus G73 funnily enough. (from using a MacBook pro). Of course it was for trading *cough* and not for playing games :D

Great machine though the one big issue is the track pad can become a bit ' wierd', Manifests itself by scrolling oddly/jerkily and I have had phantom 'clicks' even if you turn the sensitivity right down. One actually caused an order! It seems to be a common issue. External mouse is fine.

Apart from that it's a really nice machine quiet and cool (thanks to a couple of really big fans), even when running games at high resolution and maximum graphics *cough* I mean loading complicated workspaces :)

If you can live with the trackpad (which is OK most the time if you get the most recent drivers) I'd go for it.

One last thing is it's pretty big and heavy, doesn't bother me I can use the exercise!

Thanks BlowFish, sounds as though I would want to use an axternal mouse.

Tams, thanks for the reply. I mainly trade the ES emini. On my desk top I have 3 monitors and usually 6 charts. I have approx 4 indicators on each chart ( stoch., macd, cci, etc.). I've just started looking into a lap top but not yet sure I'm willing to give up my desk top which I had made for trading but I do need a good back up and one I can take with me when I travel.

if $1600 is your budget, I would say, go for it.... it is the top of the line machine, you won't be underpowered that's for sure.

you can check this chart to compare it to your current machine and see where you stand:

PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs

if $1600 is your budget, I would say, go for it.... it is the top of the line machine, you won't be underpowered that's for sure.

you can check this chart to compare it to your current machine and see where you stand:

PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs

Thanks Tams, I'm new to this site and everyone has been most helpfull. I believe I'm going to go ahead and purchase the lap top. Thanks again

Thanks Tams, I'm new to this site and everyone has been most helpfull. I believe I'm going to go ahead and purchase the lap top. Thanks again

good luck.

show us some screenshots when you are up and running.

I’m using a HP Pavilion DV6/i7 Core/4 Gb RAM/15.6”LED monitor. No faults so far.

HP Pavilion dv6-2119TX Notebook - Notebook Computers - HP Compaq - 16 inches - Landmark Computers

I have a 24” monitor connected to the HDMI port, and a 19” monitor through a docking station (Toshiba dynadock).

Toshiba dynadock® V USB Docking Station with Video from Toshiba

Once the HDMI, Docking USB and power supply is disconnected the laptop is free to go.

My external drive, mouse, third monitor and speakers stay connected to the docking station.

The drawback having a powerful system is a short time on the supplied battery ( 1.5 hour) so if you plan to go mobile a bigger battery is required.

I do all of my trading on an ASUS G53JW A1. I love the i7 processor and with the RAM upgrade its all I need.

I tend to run a lot of apps (news feeds from RealMoney Silver, price alerts from QuoteSentinel.com, realtime charts from IB, and my own excel volatility analysis) in the background as well and it doesn't slow down my IB Ttrader Workstation.

Asus makes great stuff. Highly recommended.

I do all of my trading on an ASUS G53JW A1. I love the i7 processor and with the RAM upgrade its all I need.

I tend to run a lot of apps (news feeds from RealMoney Silver, price alerts from QuoteSentinel.com, realtime charts from IB, and my own excel volatility analysis) in the background as well and it doesn't slow down my IB Ttrader Workstation.

Asus makes great stuff. Highly recommended.

Thanks panduwana, that's great to hear.