Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

jaysmith124

Psychology Ready?

Trade2: Break Even

I I believe I am in the top 10% of traders with the skills and ability, to win everyday.(big)

[/quote.....http://www.ruthroosevelt.com/withoutego.htm

Trade2: Break Even

I I believe I am in the top 10% of traders with the skills and ability, to win everyday.(big)

[/quote.....Trading Without Ego

Thanks for posting that link ammo, I took many of the suggestions from Ruth's book, even the office set-up section made a lot of sense to me. Does it work? Well, I'm not complaining :2c:

the first trade was ok. Then I made a mistake and shorting a different symbol that I wanted.

I was under pressure at the time, currently looking forward to Monday. The anxiety I felt today has been examined, and dissipated. I will maintain 100 shares per trade until a green day and then consider raising it to 200 shares.

Trading with 100 shares is where I need to be right now. Making the mistake brought on more anxiety than should have. I must have been beating myself up. Drive on!

5aa7106cb00b7_Trade34.jpg.6903e455dc0ad6c38e06055876439b80.jpg

No trades.

My state of mind was not right. I was not relaxed, but was not in a survival mode. A mode that compels me to take action in a timely manner, and to do what I am here to do. To perform under pressure alert and paying attention to detail. Assertive, yet calm.

I was ready with a couple set ups, but let them go. I had an underlying cautious feeling that I don't want to deal with uncertainty. An uncertainty that could provide me with a small loss. The results of a negative emotional consequence. The emotions are associated to thoughts of failure, loser, not good enough, embarrassment, humiliation.

I feel relieved now that it is over without suffering any damage. The previous red day may have a big effect on my sub conscious decision to avoid a repeated experience.

Self talk

I have to first accept, and then disassociate from the previous days results. Reverting back into a state of avoidance is habitual. I need to fight this habit by being fully aware of its limitations, and keeping me stuck from growing. It is very easy for me to go with the flow. I will allow myself to experience this tomorrow. It is natural for me to want to go with the flow. Just try it, you'll see.

18April11.jpg.2e3a26d9091466d5b0c512687264c238.jpg

Thanks for posting that link ammo, I took many of the suggestions from Ruth's book, even the office set-up section made a lot of sense to me. Does it work? Well, I'm not complaining :2c:

Well, Ms. Roosevelt's commentary is nice as far as it goes...and I like to look for positive things to take away from any person's comment...

I think however that folks should take a moment to THINK about the substance of her words, and then LOOK carefully at what is right in front of you on her page....in addition to the very important comments she makes, here is what I notice

The first thing you see on Ms Roosevelt's page (about the importance of separating ego from trading) is that she has her full name including her middle name in bold print right at the top, AND even though it has no application to trading....she wants readers to know that she has a "JD" degree (Juris Doctorate), simply put she's graduated from a law school...does this have anything to do with trading, or the psychology of trading?.....seeing this my interest is piqued...in my opinion this is a person whose ego is fully engaged....

Reading through the pages I come to the statements on page 2 "ego-tizing" a trade......where failure to put in stops, hesitating to enter and other amateur practices are attributed to the influence of ego....Ah well, no sale here...sorry and the reason why ladies/gentlemen is that we are (all of us) complex beings....each with our own baggage and for some of us, failure to act professionally is simple ignorance...for others "fear" for others "laziness" pure and simple...and yes for some "ego"....so if the shoe fits....so be it......but trying to paint all traders with the same brush doesn't work for me

To make a long story shorter, if the young lady wants to get some attention....create some buzz and in the process promote her business... (nothing wrong with that)....for me at least, she is going to have to ht the nail at little more squarely on the head.

Edited by steve46

No trades.

My state of mind was not right. I was not relaxed, but was not in a survival mode. A mode that compels me to take action in a timely manner, and to do what I am here to do. To perform under pressure alert and paying attention to detail. Assertive, yet calm.

I was ready with a couple set ups, but let them go. I had an underlying cautious feeling that I don't want to deal with uncertainty. An uncertainty that could provide me with a small loss. The results of a negative emotional consequence. The emotions are associated to thoughts of failure, loser, not good enough, embarrassment, humiliation.

I feel relieved now that it is over without suffering any damage. The previous red day may have a big effect on my sub conscious decision to avoid a repeated experience.

Self talk

I have to first accept, and then disassociate from the previous days results. Reverting back into a state of avoidance is habitual. I need to fight this habit by being fully aware of its limitations, and keeping me stuck from growing. It is very easy for me to go with the flow. I will allow myself to experience this tomorrow. It is natural for me to want to go with the flow. Just try it, you'll see.

count the number of times you said i or me or myself, your ego is still leading, wall street expects that,they fool you into entering and then your ego keeps you from exiting with a loss and you ride it giving them more dough..lose the ego..you are an ant at a picnic, a barnacle on a ship,the amount of outside info you have and the amount of inside info they have is akin to a picnic feast and you get a crust of bread...it's the distance between here and the moon from personal..take the person,you ,out of the trade,out of the trading business,become a living breathing cold unemotional calculator,the most frugal banker or accountant you've ever met..and trade what you see, from your posts,it seems you only see yourself...don't take this as an insult,it's not personal,it's just what it will take to trade if that's what you want to do

...it's just what it will take to trade if that's what you want to do

I am taking stuff into the the trade, yes. This is what I will be working out in relatively short order.

Trade 5

I took profits too early. I will contemplate this more later today, and this evening, but I know why I was so eager to take profits. I wanted to see green on my P/L to counter the red we saw on trades 3 and 4. It is most likely that simple, but I am aware that it could be the same desire to get out as on Trade 1, which continued direction in my favor for over two dollars.

Today's trade continued 1.6 points from my entry. I want to post a snap shot for support to some who may think they can catch tops and bottoms, but others put out negative messages telling you you can't do it. Do not accept outside negative stimulus stating how you can't, shouldn't, or don't do, something on its face value. Test it yourself, or accept others limitations. It is your choice.

I had a couple more opportunities.

Feel frustration at hesitating on xxx, and by not staying in a scanning mode for other plays, I missed out on xyz.

I feel back in the saddle again.

AKAM.jpg.bb0dce8942e2a57e8098416a4bf743b7.jpg

Trade5.avi

Edited by jaysmith124

I much prefer the term internal dialog compared to internal chatter. It gives a much better understanding of the mind that your bring to trading. Step back and listen to the conversation you are having with yourself. First discern between fear, worry,concern, and vigilence. The chemistry may be similar, but the mindset (set of beliefs) is very different. Unless there is life threatening circumstance or altering circumstance you facing in the here and now, fear and worry are not the emotional states that allow for disciplined and impartial trading. If you bring fear or worry into your trading day, you have already lost or, at least, you have set yourself up to not win. The "I" you describe yourself as is only a discription of the internal conversations in the mind to which your attention is riveted. In the same way that they become fused with fear and worry, they can also be focused on discipline and impartiality. What is required is the skill to emotionally regulate the meaning that has become attached to the emotion. This frees the mind from fear and allows you to choice the state of mind that you bring to trading. This does not mean you free yourself from emotion, rather it means you choice the emotions and state of mind from which you trade. When a person is saying they are trading without emotion, usually they are really saying that they are trading from the emotional state of impartiality.

There is a reason that trading represents a transfer of capital from one set of hands to another. When you emotionally manage fear and worry, you can trade from discipline and impartiality. At that moment your mindset is very different from the 95% of traders who trade from fear. In their fear, they set up the possibility of acting irrationally, and in your discipline and impartiality, you are in a position to take advantage of human fear and greed.

Rande Howell

re "internal dialog "

What about all the 'parts' that are mute ?

What a great comment. Where is that unmute button. For various reasons people do not live and create lives from the full deck of strengths they are endowed with as human beings. They are pushed out of awareness or buried. In trading, you are nearly forced to go hunting for them. It is in reclaiming these forgotten parts (or potentialities within our humanness) that we re-organize the self into a higher functioning self -- and a better trader.

I use the archetypal system of Carl Jung and his modern interpreter, Carol Pearson, to put a language on these potentialities so that they can be named and worked with more concretely. If you know they are there and that they live within you because they are inherent to your humanness, it is much easier to find and awaken them.

In my work with traders, I focus on what Carol Pearson calls Ruler (discipline), Sage (impartiality), warrior (courage), and Caregiver (compassion). These are the initial elements of our psychology that must be developed to approach and reconstruct the fear biased brain that is also inherent to us as humans -- this is called Orphan in archetypal language. Most of us live from the fearful Orphan position of self for their entire lives and forfeit the potential to live lives much more fully. Out of that fear, as Benard Shaw pined, we live lives of quiet desperation. Traders tend to beat themselves up in their desperation. Have yet to find that this is a good change strategy.

To move this from a humanistic perspective to Christian Biblical perspective at this moment of Easter, the aurthor of Hebrews reports in Hebrews 2:14, "...and that in his death he might destroy ... the power of death .... and free those who all their lives where held in slavery by their fear of death." It is in the freeing of ourselves from the deepest of fears that is inherent to the human brain, that the door is opened to the potentials that live within us also.

There is a great personality inventory that I use with my clients called the pmai by Pearson that measures the strength of current expression of these inherent parts of the self. Better it reveals the shadow forms. These are the ones that gives traders profound trouble. By the way, the Myers Briggs was developed around the Jungian archetypes. Carol Pearson's inventory is far more useful as an aid in personal development.

Rande Howell

Being mindful that a silent internal dialog is defending against repeating emotional distress experienced in the past. A change of state is a conditioned response. The good news is that I have resolved to learn to take control, and choose to be in a calm assertive, relaxed, positive submissive state of mind. -- I have the power --.

… take the person, you ,out of the trade, out of the trading business, become a living breathing cold unemotional calculator, the most frugal banker or accountant you've ever met. and trade what you see, from your posts, it seems you only see yourself...

I can’t see how I am going to analyze what I am feeling, and thinking, without referring to myself as I. But I appreciate what you have said. I know what you mean about taking the person(me) out of the trade. It is not that I only see myself, it is that I see what I should do, but then there is a switch of states from positive to negative, or current negative state of mind, that has a need to defend against a possible repeated distressful experience.

…What is required is the skill to emotionally regulate the meaning that has become attached to the emotion. This frees the mind from fear and allows you to choice the state of mind that you bring to trading.

I exercise before the market open making me feel awake, energetic. (I don’t drink coffee) With a renewed awareness of my state being the problem, I will get up 15 or 20 minutes earlier to give me time for mindful breathing exercises. I will develop some type of anchor, and/or routine, to maintain the calm assertive state.

I will look into Carol Pearson, thanks

Calm assertive, relaxed, positive submissive state of mind

Intrepid, confident, (...focused on discipline and impartiality), and winning.

An internal positive dialog of “I” associated to natural growth as with any cell, organism, seed, plant, and animal. For me to grow, nourish (health/fitness, intellect, spirit/faith, relationships), let go of fear-based emotions, go with the flow, and flourish. Like water flows with gravity, or electricity following the path of least resistance.

vs.

Fight/flight, avoidance, and negative submissiveness state of mind

Fearful, insecure, ambiguous, diffident, defensive.

An internal negative dialog of “I” associated, and submissive, to anxiety/fear/doubt/worry

PS No trades today.

Notrades.jpg.297deab2f35c3ebe5fc096d93aa9aeb5.jpg

"Being mindful that a silent internal dialog is defending against repeating emotional distress experienced in the past"

???

Being mindful that a silent internal dialog is is being mindful that a 'silent' internal dialog is.

Have a great Holiday all...

"Being mindful that a silent internal dialog is defending against repeating emotional distress experienced in the past"

???

Being mindful that a silent internal dialog is is being mindful that a 'silent' internal dialog is.

Have a great Holiday all...

We're getting into a weird area here.:confused:

I am not sure what the silent internal dialog is except that it is habitually reverting me into a negative state.

Although, I am feeling more confident and good lately about the opportunities I see. (trade what you see, not what you think)

Because my internal dialog is coming from my sub-conscious mind (the holder of core beliefs, and habits), and I have rationalized a new belief associated with what I "see" play out in the present, I need to act as if the new belief is my core belief and habit. What is needed to test the new belief, and validate its truth with repeated action resulting in overall winning. Only then will this new belief become a core belief replacing the old doubtful core belief. I think I can to this within four trades, but like... I have been diagnosed with major depression a couple years ago. So, I have been in groups, and one question from somebody that was not sufficiently answered was, "But, why is it so hard to be positive" I no longer have any problem with depression (or I don't believe I do), and after recovering, I feel I can answer the question better than the groups supervising psychologist. Analogous to the question from the gentleman about depression, I am asking myself, "Why is it so hard to pull the trigger"

Even though my trades are not reflecting improvement, I feel that I am on top of a big change. A change that will affect all areas of my life.

Other than this understanding, I may have to talk with you. If another week goes by without making trades ...

Thanks everyone!

I am not sure what the silent internal dialog is except that it is habitually reverting me into a negative state.

Although, I am feeling more confident and good lately about the opportunities I see. (trade what you see, not what you think)

Because my internal dialog is coming from my sub-conscious mind (the holder of core beliefs, and habits), and I have rationalized a new belief associated with what I "see" play out in the present, I need to act as if the new belief is my core belief and habit. What is needed to test the new belief, and validate its truth with repeated action resulting in overall winning. Only then will this new belief become a core belief replacing the old doubtful core belief. I think I can to this within four trades, but like... I have been diagnosed with major depression a couple years ago. So, I have been in groups, and one question from somebody that was not sufficiently answered was, "But, why is it so hard to be positive" I no longer have any problem with depression (or I don't believe I do), and after recovering, I feel I can answer the question better than the groups supervising psychologist. Analogous to the question from the gentleman about depression, I am asking myself, "Why is it so hard to pull the trigger"

Even though my trades are not reflecting improvement, I feel that I am on top of a big change. A change that will affect all areas of my life.

Other than this understanding, I may have to talk with you. If another week goes by without making trades ...

Thanks everyone!

I'm with zdo on this one. The silence of an internal dialog is the one thing that you have to be courageous to bring into awareness. Just because we are not aware of it does not mean we do not need to bring a greater understanding of the self into our awareness. There will always be blindnesses. The point is to stand on the shoulders of some of the giants who have come to an effective understanding of what makes us tick. And what keeps others in fear. This is the transmission point between winners and losers in ths game. Coming to know thyself. This is the ticket. If you grasp that very few people experience life threatening fear, then it becomes a mandate in trading to downgrade the forecast from imminent demise of self to discomfort. A lot can be done in the level of concern rather than fear.

Blessings of the moment

Rande Howerll

Thanks everyone!

If your internal dialog put you in a condition of reverting negative state.maybe you had just only wrong the way to talk with yourself,if you haven't neither kind of depression problem,now,because maybe you had just resolved these with group terapy.(if i don't misrepresent).You must go forward now in your trading path,not come back.(if you had resolve it).I think (but look....maybe .. i could wrong )....that its so difficult to being positive,because the question point is only a energy speech,we needed to left out all the negative energive we don't needed to absorbe it.we must work only with the positive energy.you can help you also with yoga exercise,other sports and also spiritual path that raise you and put you in a superior state of pure awareness ,that help you to free one's mind to all darkness,this is the problem that obscure our minds and don't let us free to have a good gain.if we don't trasform in action the good purpose, words,and the good thougt we never will have good trade.:)

cheers and have a good easter holyday.

ahimsa

No Trades

Saw opportunities and thought that this is probably a reversal point, but the thoughts did not have conviction that... "This is it", I "Know" this is it!

I am recognizing the need to change my lackadaisical attitude by being aware of how I am feeling and thinking at this crucial moment when the price action is in the area of my entry/exit.

Notrades.jpg.0766dd1831e4ff224acdcbdaa461ce32.jpg

No Trades

A repeat of yesterday.

Saw opportunities and thought that this is probably a reversal point, but the thoughts did not have conviction that... "This is it", I "Know" this is it!

I am recognizing the need to change my lackadaisical attitude by being aware of how I am feeling and thinking at this crucial moment when the price action is in the area of my entry/exit

PS. I am uncovering possible deep seated junk.

1. Human Need for Safety/Security I worry, and want perfection. I try to be aware of possible reasons for automatic avoidance. I examine and reason new thoughts.

2. I am angry about past abuse. I have thoughts of Revenge. This has nothing to do with trading, but the emotions are possibly being played out. I reason through and come to a new belief that is grateful that I've had this experience. It has made me stronger, and had pushed me into individualism, which has culminated into the current opportunity.

I feel closer than ever to consistently trading what I see, and providing me with more freedom than I have ever imagined.

Notrades.jpg.1dfe31781c6c59c07bfd086b09e27c3e.jpg

Edited by jaysmith124

A repeat of yesterday.

PS. I am uncovering possible deep seated junk.

1. Human Need for Safety/Security I worry, and want perfection. I try to be aware of possible reasons for automatic avoidance. I examine and reason new thoughts.

2. I am angry about past abuse. I have thoughts of Revenge. This has nothing to do with trading, but the emotions are possibly being played out. I reason through and come to a new belief that is grateful that I've had this experience. It has made me stronger, and had pushed me into individualism, which has culminated into the current opportunity.

I feel closer than ever to consistently trading what I see, and providing me with more freedom than I have ever imagined.

This is what I call Orphan or the automatic reactive patterning of the limbic systen as it triggers to threat matches in present time from past threats. In mindfulness training, the trader begins to separate the fusion of identity (the "I" you speak of) between the Orphan and the Observer within the streams of thought that show up in mind. "I" am not angry about past abuse and seek revenge; the child like fear-based part of the self called Orphan is taking over the story being told in the mind and , as a result, "I" become angry and revengeful. There is no final self on the horizon, only a current organization of the self. This is what I call Orphan taking over the Internal Dialog. What I encourage people to do is to bring into awareness what I call the Compassionate Warrior as part of the narrative being constructed about self in the mind. Compassion is what heals the wounds of the Orphan, not beating yourself up as so many traders do. The discipline and courage of the warrior is that part of the self that is called into the story of the self to both contain the reactiveness of the Orphan and to move beyond notions of fairness and onward toward a disciplined and impartial organization of the self that can trade effectively. It is surely as much a part of you as the Orphan. What matters is the emotional regulation of your Orphan nature and direction of your awareness to the discipline, patience, courage, and impartiality that also live within you. The Orphan learns that it is safe and allows the developing inner trader to take possession of the mind.

Good luck. I honor your courage to expose your vulnerability. It's a good way for others to see and learn from the internal struggle within all of us. It is this struggle among the forces within the self that must be mastered both in trading and in life.

Rande Howell

This is what I call Orphan or the automatic reactive patterning of the limbic systen as it triggers to threat matches in present time from past threats. In mindfulness training, the trader begins to separate the fusion of identity (the "I" you speak of) between the Orphan and the Observer within the streams of thought that show up in mind. "I" am not angry about past abuse and seek revenge; the child like fear-based part of the self called Orphan is taking over the story being told in the mind and , as a result, "I" become angry and revengeful. There is no final self on the horizon, only a current organization of the self. This is what I call Orphan taking over the Internal Dialog. What I encourage people to do is to bring into awareness what I call the Compassionate Warrior as part of the narrative being constructed about self in the mind. Compassion is what heals the wounds of the Orphan, not beating yourself up as so many traders do. The discipline and courage of the warrior is that part of the self that is called into the story of the self to both contain the reactiveness of the Orphan and to move beyond notions of fairness and onward toward a disciplined and impartial organization of the self that can trade effectively. It is surely as much a part of you as the Orphan. What matters is the emotional regulation of your Orphan nature and direction of your awareness to the discipline, patience, courage, and impartiality that also live within you. The Orphan learns that it is safe and allows the developing inner trader to take possession of the mind.

Good luck. I honor your courage to expose your vulnerability. It's a good way for others to see and learn from the internal struggle within all of us. It is this struggle among the forces within the self that must be mastered both in trading and in life.

Rande Howell

Rande,

At what point do you tell someone that they shouldn't trade? So, for example, if someone is in a situation that they need psychotropic drugs to make it through the day, shouldn't they avoid trading?

Would you encourage a man with no legs and no arms to become a bull fighter because he saw it on TV and thought it would be a good thing to do?

Where do you draw the line?

MM

This is what I call Orphan or the automatic reactive patterning of the limbic systen as it triggers to threat matches in present time from past threats. In mindfulness training, the trader begins to separate the fusion of identity (the "I" you speak of) between the Orphan and the Observer within the streams of thought that show up in mind.

There is no final self on the horizon, only a current organization of the self. This is what I call Orphan taking over the Internal Dialog. What I encourage people to do is to bring into awareness what I call the Compassionate Warrior as part of the narrative being constructed about self in the mind. Compassion is what heals the wounds of the Orphan, not beating yourself up as so many traders do. The discipline and courage of the warrior is that part of the self that is called into the story of the self to both contain the reactiveness of the Orphan and to move beyond notions of fairness and onward toward a disciplined and impartial organization of the self that can trade effectively. It is surely as much a part of you as the Orphan. What matters is the emotional regulation of your Orphan nature and direction of your awareness to the discipline, patience, courage, and impartiality that also live within you. The Orphan learns that it is safe and allows the developing inner trader to take possession of the mind.

Rande Howell

"I" am not angry about past abuse and seek revenge; the child like fear-based part of the self called Orphan is taking over the story being told in the mind and , as a result, "I" become angry and revengeful.

Hello Rande ever a honour have something to ask you! i would like understand better your concept.you want say that if exemple i was'nt angry in past for an abuse,(or i must put in condition to aren't angry)i become angry and revengeful.yes maybe but if the child don't have respect of law because considered it like the first guilty,how can will become revengeful?,and if one time he become big and awareness that he/she never seek revenge.a bit for fear,a bit for lose the respect for justice or what must being justice.you don't think that he could let it be so the things without seeking justice.i ask this because also like a female many time seems to me to receive a bit of violence only for wrote or to voice some concept,if you know how is the name of this period.?

thanks in advance

ahimsa

Rande,

At what point do you tell someone that they shouldn't trade? So, for example, if someone is in a situation that they need psychotropic drugs to make it through the day, shouldn't they avoid trading?

Would you encourage a man with no legs and no arms to become a bull fighter because he saw it on TV and thought it would be a good thing to do?

Where do you draw the line?

MM

What a great question. I wouldn't say there is a black and white line to be drawn. But there is a grey area that transitions from Yes and No.

I find most fear-based traders have learned and adapted to a view that blows up their trading accounts. In the same way that they have learned to blindly perceive from one perspective, they can learn to think from a more empowering perspective.

I come from the therapuetic and human potential traditions, so I have come to see trading as an excellent arena for change and development of self. If you have effective beliefs in your trading life, then they will show up positively in your trading account. If you don't, then you are transferring capital to those that do. It comes down to -- are you willing to change the beliefs that drive your life to become success in trading?

What I am looking for as a criterion for working with a client is whether or not they can trade successfully in simulation. If they can, I know that their cognition allows them to trade, but their emotional belief system blows up their ability to trade when risking capital. Here I know that uncertainty has been glued to fear -- and this can be treated.

I do draw the line when I hear they are taking such drugs as Seroquel, Depakote, Lithium, or other drugs in this class. The level of Al consumption is also part of this. This is a sure sign that they're is not "normal" fear or impulse. And they won't be able to trade successfully in simulation. That's the grey line I use to assess potential.

There are also those that have experienced serious trauma in their lives that I much prefer that is taken care of before they that trading. However, much of the material I use in the emotional regulation elements of my work come from working with this very population.

Thanks. That was a great question.

Rande Howell